Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Amp

Mojo's Minions

Default Re: Acoustic Amp

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    The actual mixer is analog, and goes to a stage box. You control it over wi-fi. So the mixing itself is digital, but the signals stay analog.
    Ok, that's makes sense, that's the way pretty much everyone is doing it -I wanted to make sure you didn't have a newer modern version of a Digigram card style in a dongle on your IPAD.

That's coming but not in the market yet.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    I like the simplicity of an acoustic amp. I use the little brother of the Boss unit linked below. (you mentioned possible karaoke use so you'd benefit from the larger speaker and extra power)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-combo-with-fx

With this you get a perfect suite of FX for guitar and vocal, feedback suppression and phantom power for the mic, aux in, direct outs should you need to interface with a large rig. All of it works with just three cables: power, guitar and mic.
    Thank you that's some good advice!!!

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    One other feature I like about the powered 12" PA speaker is that it is modular and thus expandable. Get one speaker and a pole. Add a second guitarist and start playing in bigger rooms...add a second speaker. Start using a drum machine...add a sub. Add a bass player and a drummer...now you need another sub and a bigger mixer...and bigger mains. Buy a set of 15" powered mains, and your 12" powered speakers become your monitors.

Modular. Portable. Expandable. And alway buy a mixer with more inputs than you think you will ever need.

Bill
    (The voice of experience)
    Thanks Boogle ... great advice!

Ha ha ha.... I sure hope that I do look better than that poor dude!!!!!
    You have supplied the answer of the day for me as that could be what I need. The reason that I was looking at the Laney AH80 is that the Laney has 3 inputs of which one is specifically for a mike, plus it is very compatible with most electronic instruments ( so that guests could come and join in) and with 80watts it will be more than powerful enough. It can also be mounted on a pole to elevate the sound as well as being able to be tilted... as for all the other techno jargon I have no idea what you are talking about DOH!!! and am just looking for a amp that I can add chorus, reverb and some other simple effects...I'm not that techno bright as you have most probably gathered ha ha ha

I hate the idea of prostituting myself with Karaoke, but hey if that is what the client wants.....

Thank you Ehdwuld

Hi people.
    This is what I've found so far and what I was basing my original question on:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMoKsoO8Y8g

my banana hammock hosts a leetle peppercini and has hit the skids Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Any small acoustic pedal will add the effects you want. Heck - get your three favorite pedals. But yeah - that Laney does sound like it would work.

I have a small Crate CA30 like that - and have and would use it, but only for the smallest of gigs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Rinkhals01 View Post
    Ha ha ha.... I sure hope that I do look better than that poor dude!!!!!
    You have supplied the answer of the day for me as that could be what I need. The reason that I was looking at the Laney AH80 is that the Laney has 3 inputs of which one is specifically for a mike, plus it is very compatible with most electronic instruments ( so that guests could come and join in) and with 80watts it will be more than powerful enough. It can also be mounted on a pole to elevate the sound as well as being able to be tilted... as for all the other techno jargon I have no idea what you are talking about DOH!!! and am just looking for a amp that I can add chorus, reverb and some other simple effects...I'm not that techno bright as you have most probably gathered ha ha ha

I hate the idea of prostituting myself with Karaoke, but hey if that is what the client wants.....
    I have a Laney GC80A that I used as a dual input sing along amp
    Had to get a mic cable with a 1/4 inch adapter

It works
    Not ideal
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Hi people.
    This is what I've found so far and what I was basing my original question on:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMoKsoO8Y8g
    Interesting looking little amp.
    I think my biggest concern with that model would be the lack of separate DSP functions for the channels.
    As a guy who has in fact done exactly what you intend to do (small solo acoustic gigs) and who has some experience with S/S acoustic amps I suspect you may discover you want a small amount of reverb but no chorus on your vocals and a small amount of chorus but no reverb on your guitar.

That's what I found worked best for me anyway.
    That amp would require me to compromise.

I have checked prices in NZ in the past and you guys really get hosed down there.
    It's almost like there is a 50% surcharge on everything.
    I realize you may not have access to the same quantity of used gear in your market but if you can find a (now discontinued) Genz Benz Shenandoah amp You should take a look at it.
    I have the Shen Pro Light and it is a serious piece of gear and still only weighs about 10kg or so.
    It's powerful enough for any gig I could imagine and what sold me on it was how very strongly it rejected feeding back, something that can be a real problem playing amplified acoustic gigs.

In any event, good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    I have a Laney GC80A that I used as a dual input sing along amp
    Had to get a mic cable with a 1/4 inch adapter

It works
    Not ideal
    Thank you for replying to me.
    Just a quick question, why was the amp not ideal for an acoustic/ singing player like me?

Hi Aceman. I do have effects pedals that I am presently using with a 20w Peavey amp and it does sound really good with all my guitars that I will use for gigging, but it is a bit on the small side and no microphone input. When I did feed a mike through it the sound was not good as it was also going in the same input jack as the guitar.....hence I wanted a designated mike input on an amplifier.

my banana hammock hosts a leetle peppercini and has hit the skids Aceman's Avatar

My point is that you can use any pedals you want with a small mixer...

My advice i to find a shop that has several if you can and try them side by side. May get surprised a for myself was looking at the Fishman Loudbox until I had one side by side with a new Fender 100 watt unit that I thought to my ear absolutely killed the Fishman and at 1/2 the price!! Just fuller meatier and more pleasing to my ear side by side. Others may not agree but for me was a huge difference and the fender had the tones I was looking for. The powered speaker and a small board is also a verry good suggestion depending on your needs. Would look for one with a balanced direct out as can also make for a good on stage monitor for your guitar and sound great through the system I like these little amps as a super portable small PA for meetings also.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

I never like the same effects on my vocals as my guitar. I never use chorus on my voice, and will often use an echo on the vocal and reverb on the guitar, or reverb on the vocal and delay on the guitar. Or Delay + Chorus on the guitar, but Reverb on the vocal...

Thus a little TC Mic Mechanic + a Zoom A2 Acoustic pedal = Guitar/Vocal Nirvana. Into a 5 channel mixer and then a Powered speaker. Or two.

All kinds of people make awesome little acoustic rigs; Zoom, Tech 21 FlyRig Acoustic, Fishman on the higher end. even a little Boss AD-3 or AD-5. You can make about any acoustic sound like an epic Martin with those things....
    Last edited by Aceman; 11-10-2019 at 08:21 PM.

A pedal + mixer setup will grow with you, even as you add more musicians and effects.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

A pedal + mixer setup will grow with you, even as you add more musicians and effects.
    Hi Mincer.
    Thank you for your answer but please excuse my ignorance as stated I am a techno-dinosaur, so do you mean that I could run a guitar and vocals via a mixer through the same amp input without any sound loss?

That's exactly what the mixer is for. It gathers all your guitars, mics, etc and is then used to set a pleasing balance of all the sounds. This all gets sent to an single output to drive an amplifier which of course drives the speaker(s)

Hi Mincer.
    Thank you for your answer but please excuse my ignorance as stated I am a techno-dinosaur, so do you mean that I could run a guitar and vocals via a mixer through the same amp input without any sound loss?
    Not into an amp- into a powered PA speaker.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Those Bose systems sound terrible to me for some reason.
    A good friend of mine plays around 300 gigs per year and he loved his. I never heard him sound bad any time I saw him live, either.