banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working on guitar (Hacks) What do you do to make life easier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working on guitar (Hacks) What do you do to make life easier?

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
    Have you never heard of StewMac? They call them "Humbucker Helpers"....
    https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...r_Helpers.html
    Wait a minute, the screw goes through the clip? How do you get the helper clip off once it’s threaded? Only one end is open to slide it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
      I bought a couple aluminium guitars from Electrical Guitar Company which basically require no maintenance besides occasionally changing the strings.
      Which ones did you get? I love his work, I'm going to go by his new relocated machine shop in Birmingham this year.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Wait a minute, the screw goes through the clip? How do you get the helper clip off once it’s threaded? Only one end is open to slide it off.
        The hole at the top fits over the screw head. Slips right off. Alligator clips work just as well and cost pennies.
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
          I bought a couple aluminium guitars from Electrical Guitar Company which basically require no maintenance besides occasionally changing the strings.
          Are the necks aluminum? And if so, how does fretting work?
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I saw one of those aluminum guitars at Blues Angels Music a few years ago
            That's about it

Me:.WTF
            man at counter: yep all aluminum , wanna try it?
            Me : nope
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

^. And ME: definitely nope.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

If you have a guitar with a Floyd Rose then you don't need to remove the strings, just take the bridge out and all the strings, do your stuff on the guitar and place the bridge back with all strings. I save time and money doing this. Also for soldering, look at this guy using a simple piece of wood and a couple of rubber bands, it really makes my life easier.

Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                  If you have a guitar with a Floyd Rose then you don't need to remove the strings, just take the bridge out and all the strings, do your stuff on the guitar and place the bridge back with all strings.
                  This is how I always work on OFR guitars (unless the strings need changing). Like running the strings in backward so you don't have to cut off the ball ends (have sharp pokes). My very first guitar was a Kramer with an OFR, so I learned very early how to work on them.
                  -Chris

Comment

Stringing with the ball ends at the tuners
                    Causes burrs on my tuners
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                      Stringing with the ball ends at the tuners
                      Causes burrs on my tuners
                      I wonder how that would happen? I can't say in 30+ years of doing it this way I have ever seen that. The tension is in the wrap, so not really enough pressure to cut into the metal.
                      -Chris

Comment

Stringing with the ball ends at the tuners Causes burrs on my tuners
                        Then DON'T do that!

Ball ends are made of bell brass. It's tough stuff. And then you wind some steel strings around the post, crushing the ball end into the post. Congrats - you played yourself. Stop being lazy, and cut the ball off.
                        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

What the heck are you guys doing to cause this? I can wiggle the ball ends with my fingers, so there is little tension on them.

-Chris

Comment

Stuff like that makes me love double-ball strings. No cutting, and super fast string changing.
                            I love the homemade rig for making cables with wood and rubber bands. Very cool!
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                            X