banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap-a** flanger that can do "subtle" settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap-a** flanger that can do "subtle" settings?

I have never owned a flanger, and haven't played through one in probably 30 years or more, but I suddenly have a hankering. What the cheapest flanger that can do relatively subtle settings?
    I'm not looking for the jet engine effect, just that sort of metallic thing that they can do when the speed is turned way down.
    And I'm not willing to spend much on it because I almost never play out anymore and if I do I won't be using the flanger (unless I fall *in love* with it?)

Re: Cheap-a** flanger that can do "subtle" settings?

For metallic tone without much swirl, you can just keep the width set very low. For real subtlety you'd need one with a blend control.
    I don't know of any cheapies with a blend control, but I'm not too familiar with the low end units so there might be some.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I will investigate the Dano. Thanks.
      Any other likely suspects?

Comment

You need any 4 knob flanger:

Rate/depth plus delay and regen.

That will do anything from chorus to jet swoosh flange. Knob names may vary. On my Washburn Accelerator series the regen and and delay are color and manual.

An Ibanez should do it for low cost easy availability.
        Last edited by Aceman; 11-10-2019, 09:21 PM.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

See if you can get one of these:

Yamaha Flanger FL-10MIi 80's https://reverb.com/item/18111229-yam...m_medium=share

Built like a tank and great sound. I’ve had mine since new in the 90s and have never looked for another Flanger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

When you find a "subtle" flanger let me know
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Have a look at TC Electronic's cheap pedals. I use their Bloodmoon Phaser and 3rd Dimension Chorus, and they're great. The flanger is called Thunderstorm.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	jf-07_2_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	5817535

Real analog flanger for 30-40$

It's Ibanez / Maxon FL-9 clone. Great for smooth & darkish flanger tones.
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                  See if you can get one of these:

Yamaha Flanger FL-10MIi 80's https://reverb.com/item/18111229-yam...m_medium=share

Built like a tank and great sound. I’ve had mine since new in the 90s and have never looked for another Flanger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  I like this suggestion

Comment

Also consider a Marshall Regenerator. Flanger among other things....

Comment

Well now I have a couple names/models to keep an eye out for when trolling eBay. The 4-knob thing is the hot tip. I don't think I would have noticed that if it hadn't been pointed out to me.
                      Thanks fellas!

Comment

Dave the pedals on Aliexpress can be surprisingly good. They do great knock offs of the classic American/Japanese pedals.

Comment

A subtle flanger is a chorus. :P
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                            A subtle flanger is a chorus. :P
                            Have to agree with that. And that's why a Chorus might have two knobs, rate/depth, and a cool Flanger has those plus Regen/Delay.

Cool Flanger can Chorus, Cool Chorus can't Flange! Usually....Hush your mouth if you were gonna say Choral Flange or whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Cool Flanger can Chorus, Cool Chorus can't Flange! Usually....Hush your mouth if you were gonna say Choral Flange or whatever...
                              Ibanez CS9 is very flangey

Comment

Working...
                              X