Moving from Amplifier Effects to Pedals - Need Some Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from Amplifier Effects to Pedals - Need Some Advice

I just bought a new amplifier; a nice 2-channel tube amp. I will be using amp distortion from this amp. The amp I am coming from is a Line 6 amp so a lot of onboard effects. I do own some pedals.

1. Visual Sound Route 66 V2
    2. Boss DS-1
    3. EH Soul Food
    4. Marshall Edward ED-1
    5. Boss ME-33

The Line 6 has a floor controller and I wonder if I could use that at all. I will use the Route 66 from comp and maybe a little boost from the OD side. The DS-1, ED-1, and Soul Food might not get used. The ME-33 houses delays and chorus, plus it has an expression pedal I would use for volume. Problem is that I would put the M-33 through the effects loop and that's probably not a good idea for a volume pedal. So, I'm thinking I might need a good tap delay and chorus. Thoughts?
    -Butch

Re: Moving from Amplifier Effects to Pedals - Need Some Advice

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post
    I just bought a new amplifier; a nice 2-channel tube amp. I will be using amp distortion from this amp. The amp I am coming from is a Line 6 amp so a lot of onboard effects. I do own some pedals.

1. Visual Sound Route 66 V2
    2. Boss DS-1
    3. EH Soul Food
    4. Marshall Edward ED-1
    5. Boss ME-33

The Line 6 has a floor controller and I wonder if I could use that at all. I will use the Route 66 from comp and maybe a little boost from the OD side. The DS-1, ED-1, and Soul Food might not get used. The ME-33 houses delays and chorus, plus it has an expression pedal I would use for volume. Problem is that I would put the M-33 through the effects loop and that's probably not a good idea for a volume pedal. So, I'm thinking I might need a good tap delay and chorus. Thoughts?
    So Line 6 is your old amp,... what is the new one? does it have reverb or tremelo on board?
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      So Line 6 is your old amp,... what is the new one? does it have reverb or tremelo on board?
      Yeah, the Line 6 is my old amp. I have a new Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV. No tremolo.
      -Butch

Comment

Yeah, the Line 6 is my old amp. I have a new Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV. No tremolo.
        Ok, the Hot Rod switches channel using a 1/4" phono jack and footswitch making a contact closure. What is the connection on your footswitch on your old Line 6? or what is the modek number of your line 6 amp? post a pic if you don't know how to describe it.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

id think the me33 would have most of the fx you might want? the amp drive plus the rt66 should cover most drive bases. the volume in the loop shouldnt be an issue if its setup correctly

Comment

There's nothing wrong with running a volume pedal through the effects loop. It will act like a master volume in that case.

If you're playing clean a lot, especially with single coils, I'd keep the ED-1.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              Ok, the Hot Rod switches channel using a 1/4" phono jack and footswitch making a contact closure. What is the connection on your footswitch on your old Line 6? or what is the modek number of your line 6 amp? post a pic if you don't know how to describe it.
              Just remembered that the Line 6 footswitch uses an Ethernet type cable and not 1/4". Oh well.

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              There's nothing wrong with running a volume pedal through the effects loop. It will act like a master volume in that case.

If you're playing clean a lot, especially with single coils, I'd keep the ED-1.
              Will a volume pedal going through the effects loop keep delay tails?
              -Butch

Comment

Just remembered that the Line 6 footswitch uses an Ethernet type cable and not 1/4". Oh well.

Will a volume pedal going through the effects loop keep delay tails?
                Yes, if the delay pedal is after the volume pedal. No otherwise.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Guitar > 66 > DS1 > Amp

Loop = ME 33 programmed for phase/chorus/flange/delay/reverb as needed.

Use the volume pedal as a rhythm/leed boost.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Guitar > 66 > DS1 > Amp

Loop = ME 33 programmed for phase/chorus/flange/delay/reverb as needed.

Use the volume pedal as a rhythm/leed boost.
                    I will try that. With the Line 6, the DS-1 first always worked best. With this new amp, might be different though. I like the the Route 66 comp side better than the ED-1. Again, with the HRD might be different. The only volume pedal I have is on the ME-33. If I could use it for boost as Aceman suggested, that might be cool. Just need to get another volume pedal.
                    -Butch

Comment

Here is the design I have come up with.

-Butch

Comment

Working...
                      X