Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a "whistle" from my amp???

Here is the situation:

Amp - Mesa Stiletto. Whistle is only on high gain channel.

Guitar straight in is fine. Only the normal "hiss" associated with epic gain.

However - I get a hum/whistle noise as soon as I go into any effect. Chain is:

Guitar > EHX Pitchfork > EHX Synth9 > Morley Wah

I thought this was due to a mega-junction box at last gig. But it is now in my music room! I have tried into only pitch, only Synth, and only Wah. I get less with the Wah than the other two, but I get it with all. What's up???
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Getting a "whistle" from my amp???

Whistle is most often preamp tube issue. swap the channel tubes and see if it follows.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Getting a "whistle" from my amp???

Just speculating but if any of those pedals are digital you may need to put them on their own power supply. I was using the Digitech drop a while back and it caused a digital whistling until I used a separate power supply.

But since you get it regardless, I’d try the preamp tube swap first.

Comment

Take it as a compliment and move on.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I saw something today in the comments of an EHX pedal, that EHX 9 pedals need to be on their own power supply or isolated power, if they are daisy chained you will get noise.

Couldnt find the video I saw it on but whomever the EHX person was in the video made a comment when someone in mentioned they were getting a noise. The EHX rep stated the above.

I did find a comment in the official EHX review of the Turnip Greens pedal. Someone stated thwy were getting a whistle when playing the pedal. EHX again stated the same about the power suplly
          Last edited by Hsb; 11-09-2019, 06:50 PM.
          1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
          Jackson Soloist 7 string
          ESP LTD M-400
          Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Does it whistle when the effects are connected, but off?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Jam your Jack in and out of the holes a few times especially the effects loop.... If that doesn't work, I'd suspect tubes.
              Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I do have all of these on a single 8 outlet Onespot....I can mess with the power situation easily.

Like I said guys - Guitar straight into amp, with Zoom in FX loop = quiet.

Is there a power toy that might help here?

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  I do have all of these on a single 8 outlet Onespot....I can mess with the power situation easily.

You mean the daisy-chain type one-spot?

For me it's been pretty much 50/50 chance of hiss or other weird effects when daisy chaining pedals. I vote for power issue.

Try if using separate adapters fixes the issue. Doesn't EHX usually ship with original adapter?
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Yeah, that sounds like digital pedal dumping high frequencies into the signal. Try each pedal on its own supply and see which one is the culprit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a stand alone EHX power supply, bet problem goes away
                      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                      Jackson Soloist 7 string
                      ESP LTD M-400
                      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Oh yeah, digital fx pedals on a power daisy chain can definitely produce a pinny whine. And the analog ODs will exaggerate it.

But a true "whistle" like a boiling kettle is almost certainly a tube in my experience.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Since it only does it when the EHX pedals are plugged in, I would try giving them their own supplies, the wah is kind of an outlier though.

Comment

Try batteries, 1 effect at a time. I've never had an issue like this with the One Spot, but others have the exact issue you are describing.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

And the second I unplugged my Zoom multi-fx from the power chain - silence!

Comment

Working...
                              X