Magnet Swapping for Seymour Duncan SP90-1n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Magnet Swapping for Seymour Duncan SP90-1n

Hi there again. I was reading somewhere that A3 was called a low-mid power pickup. They didn’t mention A2 with that label! They just mentioned A2 has less top end and rounder tone. I’m targeting maximizing low-mid. Also it was mentioned A3 tightens up the bass compared to loose bass A2. Well both of those objectives are great. What about I use A2/A3 combo? Is it done before for the neck position of P90 to use that combination? What do you think?

Comment

I think that would be a fantastic combo. I've thought about doing that for jazz. I have a A2/A5 combo right now.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        I think that would be a fantastic combo. I've thought about doing that for jazz. I have a A2/A5 combo right now.
        Hi there,
        I got two A2 magnets.
        I also decided to make the bridge sound more vintage.
        I like to follow late 50s approach as much possible to maximize tone character and reduce hotness.
        Right now I swapped 2 A5 of neck with an A4/ UO A5 and still I have ceramic in bridge P90.
        A- do you know if vintage P90s had A2 in neck
        If so what about the bridge vintage P90?
        B- what do you think with 2xA2 in neck and A4/UOA5 for bridge?
        C- I also heard good complement of A3 here so I could do A2/A3 in neck, and A2/UOA5 in bridge.
        What do you think?

Thanks a lot.
        A

Comment

That will sound vintage. There's a lot you can do, you just have to make your best guess based on what you know about how each mag sounds and maybe experiment a bit. My 1st choice based on your options would be A2/A3 neck and A2/UOA5 bridge. All 3 of those mags are chewy and vintage. A2 is the darkest, A3 is medium, and UOA5 is the brightest. I don't care for A4.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

hi there Clint,
            Wouldn’t you mind refresh my memory are both neck and bridge magnets are facing north upward and inward (toward each other) or I should do the bridge north facing downward for sake of convention of reverse polarity to cater the middle position?
            Thanks,
            Arya

Comment

Working...
            X