5150 III 50 watt; EL34 vs 6L6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 III 50 watt; EL34 vs 6L6?

I did a search but only found where this was touched briefly in one of my previous threads, but not finding the info Im really seeking.

Ive read the descriptions of the the EL34 version vs the 6L6. And its said the gain is alil diff, sag, etc.
    And, I am a bit familiar with the tonal differences of amps with those tubes.

Has anyone played both versions? If so, can you share with me your thoughts?

Does one have more gain? I imagine the EL34 one is abit more mid focused? Does one or the other sound more like the early VH albums?
    I always found it odd that the early "brown sound" was made on EL34 amps, but most all of the 5150 series of amps have all been 6L6. (initially, of course el34 models were then made)
    I dont have the ability to try both, so, am searching for info. Any input would be appreciated!

Oh, one more thing.. I one played an old PV 5150, but never got to play the EL34 version they later made. So again, havent played any version of an EVH sig head with EL34s.
    Last edited by BloodRose; 11-10-2019, 11:17 AM.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: 5150 III 50 watt; EL34 vs 6L6?

I can only comment on my 6L6 version, I love it.
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Re: 5150 III 50 watt; EL34 vs 6L6?

Thanks for the input Bro! Yeah, hear GREAT things about that one.. You have the new one with the cocentric (sp?) pots to help with the clean volume drop?
      I need another amp like I need a whole in my head, but I just cant help but want one.. Or a Friedman.. But for my level, I really cant justify that price..
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
      X