Ernie Ball VP Jr Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernie Ball VP Jr Thoughts

I'm seriously thinking about one of these. Coming from a Line6 foot controller with volume pedal built in, I was spoiled. Now, since I'm going to a tube amp, I have to find a new volume pedal. I like the looks and specs of the Ernie Ball VP Jr. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    -Butch

Re: Ernie Ball VP Jr Thoughts

I have one, and it is great! I'd absolutely recommend them. They make 2, a 25k and a 250k.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      They make 2, a 25k and a 250k.
      How would I know which to choose?
      -Butch

Comment

passive pups? 250k for sure

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          passive pups? 250k for sure
          Makes sense, I guess. All my volume pedals have come with multi-effect units or floor controllers.
          -Butch

Comment

I am a recent adopter, and immediate huge fan of, the MVP. It's a volume pedal, but it's active. The advantages are that you get a more transparent tone as you roll the volume off, and it has a controllable flat-e.q. boost (which you can also set at zero for no boost, like a normal volume pedal). The only disadvantages are that it probably costs more, and it needs power to work as intended.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Yes, 250k. I use a 25k one as an expression pedal, too.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They are smoothes volume pedals I've used. Just get yourself new one or make sure to check it works as intended (with multimeter, not just ears)

I bought used that previous owner had changed the snapped cord in it. I never could get it full on or full off, it's huge pain to install and after couple of weeks of fighting with the damn thing I sold it forward.
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I think I mentioned it in the other thread, but if you get a 250k, put it after a buffer and the taper is “weird”, try the 25k one. (Can’t use the 25k straight from passive pickups, but you can use it after a buffer).
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Mine is a 250k model and it is last in line from guitar to amp. Guitar -> Route 66 -> Volume Pedal -> amp.
                    -Butch

Comment

Where in the signal chain sequence is your Volume Pedal going to live? I don't like the idea of a volume pot on the guitar and a volume pedal doing the identical function BEFORE a buffer, if I was in love with using a volume pedal and it being first in line, -I'd disable my guitar volume
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                        Where in the signal chain sequence is your Volume Pedal going to live? I don't like the idea of a volume pot on the guitar and a volume pedal doing the identical function BEFORE a buffer, if I was in love with using a volume pedal and it being first in line, -I'd disable my guitar volume
                        Yep. If they used 500k pots in them, (I don't really get why no manufacturer does?) it might be feasible with strat, but otherwise I keep my volume after buffer.
                        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I don't really care for mine, I'd prefer a much more gradual taper.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                            I don't really care for mine, I'd prefer a much more gradual taper.
                            Where is it in they signal chain? And have you flipped the switch that changes the curve/taper?
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I used it in the loop and tried both settings. Now I have a an EQ500 in the loop and one of the settings has roughly the amount of volume reduction I want. Unfortunately, it becomes pretty much useless as the other guitar player in the band turns up over the course of the night.

Comment

Working...
                              X