banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaker/mic differences in the same cabinet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker/mic differences in the same cabinet.

I threw this together this morning, running a Sennheiser e609 against an SM57, using my Marshall cabinet with 2 V30's and 2 T-75's.
    My Marshall TSL head.
    Sometimes it's so surprising how different each speaker really is, and how the mic picks them up so differently.

Mics placed at the edge of the dust cap, on axis.

Gibson Faded V Seymour Duncan Black Winter bridge

Marshall clean Channel
    1- Metal pocket Muff distortion SM57 V30
    2-Metal pocket Muff distortion Sennheiser e609 V-30

Marshall rhythm Ch2 East River Drive OD
    3-SM57 V30
    4-Sennheiser e609 V30
    5-SM57 G12 T-75
    6-Sennheiser e609 G12 T-75

No effects added at all, and all EQ set to 12 o'clock

It's not perfectly scientific research, I don't have any way to play a recorded track through each setting, but it didn't adjust anything, just played sort of the same riff over a drum track and recorded through different speakers and mics.
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 11-11-2019, 03:18 PM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: Speaker/mic differences in the same cabinet.

Yeah, mic selection and placement is an art unto itself. I spent like a week playing around with mic stuff to try and get the closes sound to what I hear from my amp recorded . . . then put some masking tape on my speaker grille to mark exactly where I want the mic. :P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

That was fun, i dig it.

It's hard to top an SM57/V30 combo for the sort of stuff I like.

Sennheiser 421 was always my fav for big cabinets.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

the 421 is one of my favorites as well. the form factor of the 609 is great but i usually prefer the sound of a 57.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          the 421 is one of my favorites as well. the form factor of the 609 is great but i usually prefer the sound of a 57.
          609 and 57 sound great together. 57 gets the body and 609 has great cut and presence.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I'd love to try a live four track recording. Two large diaphragm condenser mikes and two dynamic mikes just off the guitar and bass amps.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              Exactly, when I go with 1 mic it's usually the 57, but when I blend, I like the 57 with the 609.
              Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Take it to the next level and try different preamps with the different mics. You can get a world of sounds, and make some huge stereo spreads.

Comment

Working...
                X