This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickups for Ibanez J.Custom - for instrumental rock

I would agree on no Ceramics , I use very few like in one guitar . Also " Modern " is a VERY Subjective word I would use that adjective with caution Myself speaking ( there are Way too many styles these Days . One can NEVER dismiss/ignore Styles ~ Nagisa had the good sense to mention that up-front .

Nagisa I have Many guitars + the Tone Zone works Absolutely killer in just one of them thru the Right Head but I use it for 1 of the 3 tunings I do ( Dropped C only ) just an example . in Fact in my style of Drop-c , I still think it's my all-around favorite on most work in my STYLE of Dropp tunes but that Ax is a Bridge Only config . But I'M only out to Sound like myself ~ EVER

Comment

I own 3 air nortons. They deliver the goods very well. My fav neck humbucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
        Are you fn serious? RG 570 is the lowest of low of Ibanez Japan; comes in a cardboard box with a no-name V7 pickups. The J Custom is like Ibanez equivalent of Suhr. You have to dish out at least 3000 dollars new. I don't know about today, but it used to be available in Japan only.

Comparing a basic 570 to a J Custom is like comparing a Squier to American Elite.
        Nah not really . Mine's actually a RG1570, it came in a really nice Ibanez prestige hard case and it's one of the best playing and sounding guitars I've ever had the pleasure of owning , which includes custom shop instruments. It's built by Japanese luthiers in the prestige shop and comparing it with a Squier is a bit of a stretch. It's a very finely crafted instrument. I'm sure the J Custom plays really nice too and everything but I was referring to the flame top, inlays and binding.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the rg570s look really cool when people load 'em with colored pups.

Comment

Honestly all Ibanez guitars are great. My first good electric was an RG470 in the 90s. I've had an RG2550Z and an AZ prestige (still), some stratty cheaper one, and this J.custom. A 1570 is a great guitar. I've played them in stores. Yes I love my J.Custom and it is the best guitar I have ever played, but it doesn't make the 1570 any less of an outstanding guitar. I have an Elite strat and a Prestige can roll with it in terms of quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post
              Honestly all Ibanez guitars are great. My first good electric was an RG470 in the 90s. I've had an RG2550Z and an AZ prestige (still), some stratty cheaper one, and this J.custom. A 1570 is a great guitar. I've played them in stores. Yes I love my J.Custom and it is the best guitar I have ever played, but it doesn't make the 1570 any less of an outstanding guitar. I have an Elite strat and a Prestige can roll with it in terms of quality.
              That rocks man. I agree. I have a RGA42FM that was a fraction of the price and it's a damn solid guitar. Blows away other guitars I've had in similar price range. I used to have an original 570 though too about 15 years ago and god damn that was an amazing guitar. I still miss the distinct growl it had.

I've thought about "upgrading" my 1570 to a J. custom but to me I kinda like the simplistic ideal of the 1570 - the fretwork is immaculate and the sound is great, and that's really what matters to me. And at this point I've played it so much that it's like bonded to my soul. Doesn't mean I'm not jealous of your guitar though !

Comment

A set of DiMarzio Transitions would be great in that guitar.

The regular Norton is a great bridge pickup too, it deserves way more love than it gets, the AN is good in the neck, very warm, which may or not be what you are looking for.

The Evo 2/Evo neck is also a great, has all the good qualities of the Evo and gets rid of the brittleness.

Lots of great choices.

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                  Nah not really . Mine's actually a RG1570, it came in a really nice Ibanez prestige hard case and it's one of the best playing and sounding guitars I've ever had the pleasure of owning , which includes custom shop instruments. It's built by Japanese luthiers in the prestige shop and comparing it with a Squier is a bit of a stretch. It's a very finely crafted instrument. I'm sure the J Custom plays really nice too and everything but I was referring to the flame top, inlays and binding.

Oh..the 1570, the one with Edge Pro trem that nobody cares about. Lol.

I don't think the Prestige team or the so called J Craft exists cause Ibanez guitars are farmed out to Fujigen. Team J Craft is just marketing ploy.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post
                    If you check out Jemsite you would find horror stories about recent MIJ RGs. One complained about a misaligned neck on a brand new RG655. In fact, the fretboard of my 655 isn't dead straight around the neck joint. I also had to back out from purchasing a 2017 RG652 for the same problem.

I wonder about the electronics on the J Custom. I hope they aren't the cheapo alpha pots like those on regular RGs.

Comment

Dang, bro, why so negative?

I can't speak to the RGs of the last 4-5 years, but I've owned literally dozens of RGs from the '80s until 2013 or so, which included everything from early RG2XX series to J.Craft to USA Custom Shop models (remember those?) and I was very rarely disappointed in any of them other than cheap bridges on the low end stuff. Also had S-series, RGA's, RGT's, the list goes on. I never had an RG570/RG1570 that I would equate with a budget guitar in any way. Heck, my first guitar was an RG570 and it's one of only 2 guitars I wish I had held on to.

And Alpha electronics aren't necessarily bad by default...they have a range of specs and tolerances, often made to a price point. I've replaced *almost* as many CTS pots as Alphas, so there's that!

Comment

Ever watched a group of children playing and seen one in the corner alone doodling on the wall or hitting himself? I guess he found the Duncan forums later on. Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X