Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pickups for Ibanez J.Custom - for instrumental rock

Default Re: Pickups for Ibanez J.Custom - for instrumental rock

I realize that the conversation has kind of moved past ceramic magnets, but as somebody that used to be fervently against all things ceramic, I feel the need to chime in. Discounting a pickup because of the magnet it uses is just dumb, *especially* in Dimarzio pickups.

With Duncans the magnet does make a pretty pronounced difference in tone, you'll definitely hear the characteristics (good and bad) of whatever magnet you're using in most any Duncan wind.

However this straight up does not apply to Dimarzio pickups. I'm not sure what it is about them but the magnet is a *much* smaller piece of the tone puzzle in Dimarzio pups. I'll be interested to see if any fellow forum users agree/disagree with this assessment. I realize it's a bit of a hot take to make such an unfounded claim, but I'll be damned if my experience with the couple dozen I've tried doesn't make me pretty damn sure of it.

Honestly my biggest piece of advice is just don't look at any one variable in a vacuum, because there is so much at play that even the most knowledgeable hobbyist still won't know/consider compared to a winder with literal decades of experience like MJ or Larry Dimarzio.

I wasted so much time and missed out on so many great tones by making big sweeping generalizations like that e.g. "no ceramic neck pickups", attitudes like that will make you miss out on lots of great potential sounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthejester13 View Post
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Too many players do that, for sure.

Indeed, Duncan has some tricks up its sleeves, but DiMarzio has really mastered the ability to take a strong magnet and completely alter the way it interacts with the coils. Dual Resonance, Virtual Vintage and "Air"-ing are the biggest ones for humbuckers, but those technologies make huge differences in the final product.

Super Toneologist

Are there any ceramic mag based pickups in Dmz lineup that use the Air tech? I thought they were exclusive to their alnico based pickups. The dual reso thing they use quite a lot though in their stuff.

My favorite combo is the air norton (neck) and super distortion (bridge). Not exactly the most unique choice, but my fav.

So, I'm deciding on the spacing. I know I will need F-spacing for the bridge, but I'm not sure on the neck.

My guitar has direct mounting, so I don't want to have to add a new hole. Would both F-spaced and regular spaced humbuckers have mounting holes at the SAME distance?

I looked on Fishman's site and all bridges have longer POLE spacing than the necks. But that doesn't say anything about the distance of the mounting holes. I have an extra Fluence neck (the modern ceramic neck) and I tried it against a covered gibson and uncovered Suhr (trem spaced) and it appeared the holes are all the same. I just want to check before I buy.

Thanks!

Can you post some pics of your j custom? Love looking at those.

Quote Originally Posted by Open lane View Post
    Can you post some pics of your j custom? Love looking at those.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gtr.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	102039

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gtr2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	102040

EDIT: Just hoping people see my previous post about the mounting holes. Help, please!
    Last edited by Nagisa; 11-17-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Good lord, yes!

WOW Nagisa that is breathtaking!

Are those Fishman Fluences?

Whatever they are they look GREAT
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Thank you for the compliment! Well, they are Fishmans now but I'm changing them out.

One roadblock is whether I can fit the Dimarzios in the holes. Can anyone please confirm that mounting holes are the same between regular spaced/F-spaced pickups? I mean I know the poles are wider apart and the actual humbucker is longer, but is the distance between the 2 mounting screw holes compensated for and the same between the 2 versions?

Quote Originally Posted by Nagisa View Post
    Thank you for the compliment! Well, they are Fishmans now but I'm changing them out.

One roadblock is whether I can fit the Dimarzios in the holes. Can anyone please confirm that mounting holes are the same between regular spaced/F-spaced pickups? I mean I know the poles are wider apart and the actual humbucker is longer, but is the distance between the 2 mounting screw holes compensated for and the same between the 2 versions?
    I am pretty sure they're all the same.

I've changed out trembuckers and put in regular humbuckers before and the mounting holes line up fine. Seems to be universal between dimarzio, emg, gibsonz Duncan etc. It's just the pole spacing that's different.

And to answer your previous question, you don't need trem spaced for the neck. I've got regular spaced jazz pickup in the neck of my Ibanez and it lines up fine.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Super Toneologist

Theres a printble template in their FAQ, if in doubt print it out & check or measure as per the dimensions in it

Quote Originally Posted by BeKindRewind View Post
    I am pretty sure they're all the same.

I've changed out trembuckers and put in regular humbuckers before and the mounting holes line up fine. Seems to be universal between dimarzio, emg, gibsonz Duncan etc. It's just the pole spacing that's different.

And to answer your previous question, you don't need trem spaced for the neck. I've got regular spaced jazz pickup in the neck of my Ibanez and it lines up fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank- View Post
    Theres a printble template in their FAQ, if in doubt print it out & check or measure as per the dimensions in it

Thanks guys! Okay then F-spaced bridge, regular neck it is.

See I looked on the Dimarzio site but the pull-down list wasn't showing items for me. Tried on Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Brave. I saw diagrams from Duncan were the same though, and the Titan neck matches the holes on the Fluence when back to back, so that seems ok.

Make sure you let us know how it sounds! That's a mighty awesome guitar. It's like my RG570's big fancy brother with the good job and the sports car. Lol

Super Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by Nagisa View Post
    Thanks guys! Okay then F-spaced bridge, regular neck it is.

See I looked on the Dimarzio site but the pull-down list wasn't showing items for me. Tried on Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Brave. I saw diagrams from Duncan were the same though, and the Titan neck matches the holes on the Fluence when back to back, so that seems ok.
    https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.ne...g_Template.pdf

Thats where I found it.

So I just read over your original post again and I didn't catch it the first time but you compared a 22 fret guitar to a 24 fret guitar, and you said that the issue was more present in the neck pickup.

Just so you don't waste your money, have you A/B tested the RG against another 24 fretter? If you have was the neck pickup still lacking?

Because the brightest pickup in a 22 fret guitar is always gonna sound fuller and warmer than the darkest pickup in a 24 fret guitar, and will go muddy wayyyy faster.
    Just something to consider, that poor neck pickup never stood a chance against a PAF in a Les Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by oilpit View Post
    So I just read over your original post again and I didn't catch it the first time but you compared a 22 fret guitar to a 24 fret guitar, and you said that the issue was more present in the neck pickup.

Just so you don't waste your money, have you A/B tested the RG against another 24 fretter? If you have was the neck pickup still lacking?

Because the brightest pickup in a 22 fret guitar is always gonna sound fuller and warmer than the darkest pickup in a 24 fret guitar, and will go muddy wayyyy faster.
    Just something to consider, that poor neck pickup never stood a chance against a PAF in a Les Paul!
    Thanks - I think the Fluence neck is just not good. It has very synthetic cleans and just doesn't do anything for me distorted. I can't get it to sound at all like these https://youtu.be/7xRNU8gwTjE

I know 22 vs 24 isn't really comparable. My boys Petrucci and Vai both play 24 fretters and get a good neck sound so I know it can be done though.

Yeah man. I get awesome neck tones on my 24 fretters. my Gibson SG Diablo (24 frets) sounds amazingly bluesy on the neck pickup with it's A2Pro. My Jackson Kelly sounds fat as hell on the neck with its '59. And my Ibanez RG is soulful and crystal clear with its Jazz. It's hardly an issue. You just need the right pickup that you're happy with.

Super Toneologist Obsessive Compulsive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeKindRewind View Post
    Make sure you let us know how it sounds! That's a mighty awesome guitar. It's like my RG570's big fancy brother with the good job and the sports car. Lol

Are you fn serious? RG 570 is the lowest of low of Ibanez Japan; comes in a cardboard box with a no-name V7 pickups. The J Custom is like Ibanez equivalent of Suhr. You have to dish out at least 3000 dollars new. I don't know about today, but it used to be available in Japan only.

Comparing a basic 570 to a J Custom is like comparing a Squier to American Elite.

Super Toneologist Obsessive Compulsive's Avatar

Seems that Ibanez has cut a deal with SD. Those pickups slots used to accommodate DM only: