This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickups for Ibanez J.Custom - for instrumental rock

Can you post some pics of your j custom? Love looking at those.

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
      Can you post some pics of your j custom? Love looking at those.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	gtr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	5817564

Click image for larger version

Name:	gtr2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	5817565

EDIT: Just hoping people see my previous post about the mounting holes. Help, please!
      Last edited by Nagisa; 11-17-2019, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Good lord, yes!

Comment

WOW Nagisa that is breathtaking!

Are those Fishman Fluences?

Whatever they are they look GREAT
          Originally posted by jcthejester13
          Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Thank you for the compliment! Well, they are Fishmans now but I'm changing them out.

One roadblock is whether I can fit the Dimarzios in the holes. Can anyone please confirm that mounting holes are the same between regular spaced/F-spaced pickups? I mean I know the poles are wider apart and the actual humbucker is longer, but is the distance between the 2 mounting screw holes compensated for and the same between the 2 versions?

Comment

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post
              Thank you for the compliment! Well, they are Fishmans now but I'm changing them out.

One roadblock is whether I can fit the Dimarzios in the holes. Can anyone please confirm that mounting holes are the same between regular spaced/F-spaced pickups? I mean I know the poles are wider apart and the actual humbucker is longer, but is the distance between the 2 mounting screw holes compensated for and the same between the 2 versions?
              I am pretty sure they're all the same.

I've changed out trembuckers and put in regular humbuckers before and the mounting holes line up fine. Seems to be universal between dimarzio, emg, gibsonz Duncan etc. It's just the pole spacing that's different.

And to answer your previous question, you don't need trem spaced for the neck. I've got regular spaced jazz pickup in the neck of my Ibanez and it lines up fine.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Theres a printble template in their FAQ, if in doubt print it out & check or measure as per the dimensions in it

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                  I am pretty sure they're all the same.

I've changed out trembuckers and put in regular humbuckers before and the mounting holes line up fine. Seems to be universal between dimarzio, emg, gibsonz Duncan etc. It's just the pole spacing that's different.

And to answer your previous question, you don't need trem spaced for the neck. I've got regular spaced jazz pickup in the neck of my Ibanez and it lines up fine.

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                  Theres a printble template in their FAQ, if in doubt print it out & check or measure as per the dimensions in it

Thanks guys! Okay then F-spaced bridge, regular neck it is.

See I looked on the Dimarzio site but the pull-down list wasn't showing items for me. Tried on Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Brave. I saw diagrams from Duncan were the same though, and the Titan neck matches the holes on the Fluence when back to back, so that seems ok.

Comment

Make sure you let us know how it sounds! That's a mighty awesome guitar. It's like my RG570's big fancy brother with the good job and the sports car. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post
                      Thanks guys! Okay then F-spaced bridge, regular neck it is.

See I looked on the Dimarzio site but the pull-down list wasn't showing items for me. Tried on Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Brave. I saw diagrams from Duncan were the same though, and the Titan neck matches the holes on the Fluence when back to back, so that seems ok.

Thats where I found it.

Comment

So I just read over your original post again and I didn't catch it the first time but you compared a 22 fret guitar to a 24 fret guitar, and you said that the issue was more present in the neck pickup.

Just so you don't waste your money, have you A/B tested the RG against another 24 fretter? If you have was the neck pickup still lacking?

Because the brightest pickup in a 22 fret guitar is always gonna sound fuller and warmer than the darkest pickup in a 24 fret guitar, and will go muddy wayyyy faster.
                        Just something to consider, that poor neck pickup never stood a chance against a PAF in a Les Paul!
                        Originally posted by jcthejester13
                        Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
                          So I just read over your original post again and I didn't catch it the first time but you compared a 22 fret guitar to a 24 fret guitar, and you said that the issue was more present in the neck pickup.

Just so you don't waste your money, have you A/B tested the RG against another 24 fretter? If you have was the neck pickup still lacking?

Because the brightest pickup in a 22 fret guitar is always gonna sound fuller and warmer than the darkest pickup in a 24 fret guitar, and will go muddy wayyyy faster.
                          Just something to consider, that poor neck pickup never stood a chance against a PAF in a Les Paul!
                          Thanks - I think the Fluence neck is just not good. It has very synthetic cleans and just doesn't do anything for me distorted. I can't get it to sound at all like these https://youtu.be/7xRNU8gwTjE

I know 22 vs 24 isn't really comparable. My boys Petrucci and Vai both play 24 fretters and get a good neck sound so I know it can be done though.

Comment

Yeah man. I get awesome neck tones on my 24 fretters. my Gibson SG Diablo (24 frets) sounds amazingly bluesy on the neck pickup with it's A2Pro. My Jackson Kelly sounds fat as hell on the neck with its '59. And my Ibanez RG is soulful and crystal clear with its Jazz. It's hardly an issue. You just need the right pickup that you're happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                              Make sure you let us know how it sounds! That's a mighty awesome guitar. It's like my RG570's big fancy brother with the good job and the sports car. Lol

Are you fn serious? RG 570 is the lowest of low of Ibanez Japan; comes in a cardboard box with a no-name V7 pickups. The J Custom is like Ibanez equivalent of Suhr. You have to dish out at least 3000 dollars new. I don't know about today, but it used to be available in Japan only.

Comparing a basic 570 to a J Custom is like comparing a Squier to American Elite.

Comment

Seems that Ibanez has cut a deal with SD. Those pickups slots used to accommodate DM only:

Comment

Working...
                                X