NAD gone bad. Oh, the AGONY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD gone bad. Oh, the AGONY!

Hope you guys might get a laugh, maybe throw me some suggestions. Anything--the funnier and insulting the better (those who remember my sense of humor over all these years will really lay it on, lol.)

Been very broke for oh I don't know, the last ten years like many others? My purchases have been few and far between. Needed back surgery a few weeks ago and I don't have any little practice amps so I got me a Blackstar Fly 3 package off eBay. Green, with the extra cabinet and power supply from seller with 100% and over 1200 feedback. Came in two days ago. Cracked it open like a kid on Christmas morning. My daughter was kind enough to get my Agile Hawker because I'm not allowed to lift anything over ten pounds. The Les Pauls would have to sit, even though they're around nine pounds. Hooked everything up, hit the power button and...POP. Loud pop, no power light...wha???? Unplugged it and my girls rummaged through all their toys and their brother's to scrounge up six AA batteries. All toys worked fine so the batteries were good. Nothing. Suddenly the light bulb turns on (in my head, not on the amp). I looked at the amp--it says 6.5v DC 1.5 amps. I look at the power supply. It does NOT say Blackstar and it is 9v AC 1000ma (or one amp).

I emailed the seller who graciously refunded my payment. Turns out "the kid" (son? employee?) lost the power supply and didn't realize they were different.

Let it rip.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Re: NAD gone bad. Oh, the AGONY!

did you fry the thing or is it ok just needs a new power supply? i assume the kid probably just found a power supply that plugged in, cause hes a bonehead

Comment

I think it's fried. It doesn't even work with batteries. I wouldn't know the first thing about how to rip it apart and test it as I'm not an electronics guy. Pickups and guitar wiring is about the extent of my electronics knowledge. Oh, and preamp tube swapping, lol. No power tube biasing.

700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Refund?!! Surely there’s at least one door in your house that needs to be propped open? [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
          Refund?!! Surely there’s at least one door in your house that needs to be propped open? [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          It has the extension cab, so I can prop open two! Good call, didn't think about that.

Comment

There may be a protection diode or fuse in there. Secondly, is there a transformer in it? I’m sure it’s fixable, and maybe not cost that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jimilee View Post
              There may be a protection diode or fuse in there. Secondly, is there a transformer in it? I’m sure it’s fixable, and maybe not cost that much.

Yes, there may be a protection diode, but transformers won't work with DC, they are just a bunch of wire.

Comment

Probably just a blown fuse
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Ok I’ll bite - how do you like the Hawker? Looks cool in pics and I love Agiles

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    Yes, there may be a protection diode, but transformers won't work with DC, they are just a bunch of wire.
                    I thought that might be the case, but I know enough about electronics to be a singer to myself. Is it safe to say that there are opamps inside then?

Comment

Originally posted by jimilee View Post
                      I thought that might be the case, but I know enough about electronics to be a singer to myself. Is it safe to say that there are opamps inside then?

Yeah, about 99.9% sure it has opamps.

Comment

Sorry to respond so late! As far as the Hawker, I love it. The Hawker and Valkyrie doubleneck (had to sell because I needed money) have a feel very different from the Les Paul copies. I can't explain it...kind of smooth and powerful feeling. I've always been a Les Paul guy, had Jacksons, Fenders etc, but I really took to the feel of those two instruments. Cheap electronics but the Floyd is more than usable and I put a Brobucker and Jazz in it and it sounds killer.

As far as the amp, what should I look for if I rip it open? I know a little about electronics, but not a whole lot. Obviously burned and melted stuff, lol. I do have a multimeter I know JUST enough about to be dangerous. Thanks!

Comment

I remember selling a 2nd gen digitech whammy on the cheap......because the power supply had been all hooked up through the pedalboard it was on, so the plug/tip was not attached to the supply wire.
                          It was descibed as such and I told the buyer that they'd need to get the supply fixed or replaced as it was an odd voltage (or AC or similar) and it needed that specific value to work.

Got a message a short while later saying the unit wasn't working (and smelling a bit odd too) with the boss 9v supply they'd plugged it in with. After reminding them about the detailed instructions I'd given them, I didn't hear anything more.

Comment

Sorry to hear that! I have a Blackstar fly and really like it. Has a much bigger sound than you’d expect - so you could’ve had a fantastic little amp if that makes you feel any better

Comment

Working...
                            X