No announcement yet.

Introducing the Diamondhead Distortion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing the Diamondhead Distortion!

The Diamondhead Distortion

Diamondhead is a Multistage Distortion + Boost pedal that captures the tone and feel of a hot-rodded tube amp being pushed by a drive or boost pedal – the guitar sound that defined classic 70s and 80s Metal and Hard Rock.

It can also be used as a preamp into a poweramp like the PowerStage series, or into the effects return of your amp.

++++++++++++++++++
    Across genres and generations, the sound of a half stack pushed hard with drive and boost has become a standard for rock tones. No genre or era of players has been more heavily defined by these iconic sounds than the classic metal and hard rock pioneers of the late seventies and eighties. Think Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Ozzy – their combination of tube heads and drive pedals resulted in some of the most iconic guitar tones of all time.

Diamondhead captures the power and versatility of that era-defining rig in a package that will find a space on any pedalboard. Whether you’re running it into a clean pedal platform amp or into the frontend of an overdriven tube amp, the Diamondhead provides the flexibility and tonal clarity to authentically capture tbet you would like he sound that defined an era.

It all starts with the drive – from breathy and raw medium gain sounds to screaming high-gain harmonics, Diamondhead is deep and three-dimensional, with clarity and touch response.

Three powerful active EQ controls maximize the potential of the gain section. A tightly defined bass control boosts and cuts at 80 Hz, with surgical precision – making the low end huge, but never muddy. A broader mid-range control set right at 800 Hz allows for massive scooped chunk, hyper aggressive modern attack, and everything in between. And the Treble control, set at 6 kHz, adds sizzle, cut, and attack.

The SAT Switch (based on our 805 Overdrive) adds a 24dB pre-gain boost that tightens up the low end for more aggressive and defined attack. Subtly rolling off lows and highs, it allows the mid-range to cut through, creating chewy, harmonic saturation.

Independent from the Drive section, the Boost (activated with the left footswitch) offers 0 to 15 dB of available gain and can be used as a lead boost or to push an amp on the edge into overdrive. Try using it with a slightly dirty amp as the first gain stage and adding the Drive section for your highest gain sounds.

Diamondhead also shines as a pre-amp. By running it into the effects return of your tube amp, or in front of our PowerStage power amps you’ll be rewarded with a hot-rodded high gain amp tone with body, bite, and character.

If you’ve gone through a pile of overdrives, distortions, and boost pedals searching for that quintessential 80s metal or hard rock tone and haven’t been satisfied, make Diamondhead the heart of your rig – versatile enough to handle any covers set, precise enough to surgically dial in your own tone – it captures the rock n roll spirit of a high gain head pushed to the edge.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Re: Introducing the Diamondhead Distortion!

sounds sweet! look forward to checking it out when they are out in the wild

Comment

Timmy and 805 been go to pedals like since forever...the demo on this has some of the most killer tones yet...harmonics are amazing...may have to add this one...

Comment

I look forward to trying this once it hits the stores as well; it looks like this pedal could really drive my tone closer to the metal zone.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEhls6I_fU0 heres another vid
          sigpic
          Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
          Dunlop Crybaby
          MXR Custom Comp
          GFS Twin Overdrive
          Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
          Blackstar HT-DISTX
          Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

This thing sounds killer. I love that it has a boost option on it. That saturation switch really adds some nice character to the tone as well. Can't wait to get one.

Comment

It sounds terrif!
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

I would have liked to have had the ability to adjust the Q center of the mids, but this looks like a solid box. Looking forward to testing it out.

Comment

im glad the boost is independent. thats one thing i wish was different on the palladium

Comment

Another awesome demo video on this Diamondhead. Doug goes through a few different tones in this one.

The Diamondhead Multistage Distortion pedal will transform your clean amp into a Hard rock amp! Loads of distortion and gain on tap for any rock situation!T...

Comment

I've been messing around with the Diamondhead pedal for a few days now. Really enjoying it overall, here's a few things I've noted so far:

1. The independent boost is great, whether I have the distortion engaged or not. With the distortion on and the boost engaged I get plenty of volume and push for leads, which I always felt was lacking somewhat with the Palladium in comparison. When I just use the boost without distortion turned on, I get a pretty killer spanky clean funk sound that I'm really enjoying. I also used the boost in conjunction with a Dirty Deed pedal I had on the board and that kicked the sound right in the ass in the best way possible, haha.

2. The Sat switch is of paramount importance to this pedal, in my opinion. While it still sounds good without it engaged, I found myself having that Sat switch clicked on the majority of the time. Especially when playing heavier stuff I found it necessary to keep that switched on, not only for the extra gain boost but also because it helped make the low end tighter for sure. I tend to favor a more midrange-y tone when playing the heavy downtuned stuff so that Sat switch really helps a lot.

Spent a lot of time playing this through the PowerStage 170 and I'm digging it so far. Admittedly I'm pretty used to the Palladium paired with the PS170 and the Diamondhead is definitely a different sounding pedal than that so it'll take some adjustment before I'd be certain of using it as my new "pre-amp" pedal on my fly-rig board, but so far good.

Comment

Originally posted by RevDoom73 View Post
                        I've been messing around with the Diamondhead pedal for a few days now. Really enjoying it overall, here's a few things I've noted so far:

1. The independent boost is great, whether I have the distortion engaged or not. With the distortion on and the boost engaged I get plenty of volume and push for leads, which I always felt was lacking somewhat with the Palladium in comparison. When I just use the boost without distortion turned on, I get a pretty killer spanky clean funk sound that I'm really enjoying. I also used the boost in conjunction with a Dirty Deed pedal I had on the board and that kicked the sound right in the ass in the best way possible, haha.

2. The Sat switch is of paramount importance to this pedal, in my opinion. While it still sounds good without it engaged, I found myself having that Sat switch clicked on the majority of the time. Especially when playing heavier stuff I found it necessary to keep that switched on, not only for the extra gain boost but also because it helped make the low end tighter for sure. I tend to favor a more midrange-y tone when playing the heavy downtuned stuff so that Sat switch really helps a lot.

Spent a lot of time playing this through the PowerStage 170 and I'm digging it so far. Admittedly I'm pretty used to the Palladium paired with the PS170 and the Diamondhead is definitely a different sounding pedal than that so it'll take some adjustment before I'd be certain of using it as my new "pre-amp" pedal on my fly-rig board, but so far good.
                        Can you compare the Diamondhead and the Palladium?
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Another Diamondhead video just got released. This one features Wes Hauch doing his thing. This dude is a monster player, man. I like that it's showcasing this pedal can handle some more modern style tones. Wes does a good job here combining an old-school vibe and a modern take on it. Check it out.
                          Widely considered one of the best players in the modern metal scene, Wes Hauch’s reputation precedes him. Whether playing with The Faceless, Glass Casket, dr...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Can you compare the Diamondhead and the Palladium?
                            Just happened to look back on this thread and noticed that the reply I posted for this a while back isn't here, oops.

I actually have removed the Palladium from my board and am using the Diamondhead now in it's stead (for now). So far I'm really digging it, here's the main things I've noted:

- When using the Palladium I would often use my Forza to give my solos and more aggressive rhythms an added kick. I don't find I need that at all with the Diamondhead, or at least it's not as necessary. I dig the way the Forza pairs with it for certain parts but basically having the quality of distortion I'm getting with the Diamondhead paired with it's boost function to make the leads stand out is plenty for me.
                            I know the Palladium technically has a bit more gain to it than the Diamondhead does, but I think I'm starting to enjoy the quality of the gain on this pedal more. The Palladium has a very full thick tone but at times I could have trouble controlling it at loud volumes without considerable gate applied. Diamondhead is much easier for me to control and I can dial in a tone with sharp attack that still sounds full and thick enough for my tastes and I don't have to worry as much about unwanted noise and stuff when I have it cranked up.
                            - As I mentioned in the previous post, the boost function is just great. When I'm using the PS-170 I often need to have the pickup booster on my board to help give my clean tone a bit more kick and spank. The boost on the Palladium was pretty much ineffectual for this purpose, and really functioned more like a built-in 805 OD that I would only use intermittently for certain dirty parts. Now with the Diamondhead I find myself using that boost all the time for my cleans, leads, etc., and it's nice having it there on the same pedal with the gain stage. I've taken the separate boost pedal off of my board for the meantime because of this.

Sorry that my assessment isn't more "technical", at some point I will sit down and really analyze the two pedals head to head. I still really like my Palladium pedal and will continue to use it in the future for sure but right now I'm just digging this new one so much. I'll share more info about how this is holding up soon, doing a big hometown show this weekend so I'll be curious to see how this pedal fares.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                              terrif!
                              Please place this individual on the "No Sale" list and distribute to all of your dealers.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X