One and sadly.. Done..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One and sadly.. Done..

The WLH set & PG set are both wonderful. Tough call, will have to try out both & settle on one, or just keep the other set around for variety when you feel like trying something different without buying a extra guitar.

Comment

I'm really sorry to read about your situation.

I would keep the WLH set. Being effectively a slightly overwound PAF set they cover a lot of ground in a LP-type guitar. I always think of them like a '59 set that has been enhanced for optimum performance in an LP. Compared with a '59 set the neck has less bottom end, the bridge has more mids and they both have slightly more output. Obviously they do bluesy classic rock excellently but they also sound great pushed into a higher gain tone. I'm no metalhead but with the right amp/pedal they will certainly go the distance for 80s hard rock / metal.

Comment

Good luck dude. You are smart and I'm sure you will make a good decision that will be comfortable to live with.

Lots of love going your way.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Best of luck dude...been thru mucho chit and more often than not has led to a new and better situation...APII set me thinks...

Comment

Best wishes BR. Some stellar advice above!

Comment

For me the difference between vintage inspired pickups and something more modern largely comes down to feel. My main amps are Marshall Jubilees, so they have plenty of gain though not as much as a Recto / 5150 / Friedman / etc. I have a WLH set in my 335, a 59 & Hybrid in my LP, a Custom / Jazz set in my Explorer, and P-Rails in my SG. I find that the more vintage pickups have an airier tone with less compression than the Custom or P-Rails in series. The modern pickups are more compressed, but they have this really direct sort of punch that I find myself missing when I play one of the other guitars. If you haven't sold your Burny or Gibson yet, maybe try both of them and concentrate on how the feel of the compression or lack thereof works for you. After that it'll hopefully be easier to find what works for you in general.

If you decide not to keep your BKPs, I'd sell them separately from the guitar if at all possible due to their high resale value in the US.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Thanks again all for the great advice and well wishes. Trying to approach in a positive way. And yes, will most likely swap out the WLH set and BKs before selling. I'm just REALLY having a hard time getting motivated to do the swapping. Just got burned out over the years where I was rolling gear so much.. I kept the stock Gibby pups and will put those back in. Not sure what to put in the Burny. It had an EMG Zakk set when I got it, so may wanna keep that as an option. However, not sure how favorably it will sell if I put in some stock Epi pups or something.. The guitar is in fantastic shape and I think that probably anyone that would be interested in a Burny, prolly knows what a great guitar they would be getting.
                Again, thanks for the kind words and replies
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                X