One and sadly.. Done..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One and sadly.. Done..

Ive been blessed to have had a few guitars (more than I deserve) over the last few years. Im at a major crossroads where I have to seriously thin the heard... Ive thought long and hard as to what to cut and am seriously struggling with a few. As far as LP style guitars go..Ive decided to sell my Gibson LP and my 80s Burny,, ( OUCH!!!!) And keep my Dean Soltero. Its a great axe and has the best feeling neck of the bunch.
    This leaves me back to square one for pickups.. Ive been fortunate in that I had a Bare Knuckles Rebel yell set in the Burny, a WLH set in the Gibby and the Dean (I Think) has their Nostalgia Neck and MOuntains of Tone bridge. (Leslie west sig model)

Since I no longer will have the variety, Im back to square one trying to find a great all around pup set for a LP type guitar...

Suggestions? I liked the WLH set, and the Rebel Yell set. BUT.. I liked having them both for their differences.. One of my biggest problems is that Im still learning and havent found my own thing yet. Ilove Rock and metal, but my skill level is still kinda rock and bluesy type stuff, with some pretty clean original pieces. I want something that covers alot of ground.
    Ive done a PG set before and seemed to really like it, but for some reason, preferred the WLH set. But again, at that point, I had options, not just one guitar...

I know, Im hard to please. Anyhow. Looking for something that kicks butt, yet can sing sweetly.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... Thank you!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: One and sadly.. Done..

I'd say a Jazz or Alnico II Pro neck and 59/Custom Hybrid. You will get versatility and dynamics. If you want an even more dynamic set, go for Seth Lovers. But I wouldn't choose Seths for anything heavier than, say, early Maiden.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I'd say a Jazz or Alnico II Pro neck and 59/Custom Hybrid. You will get versatility and dynamics. If you want an even more dynamic set, go for Seth Lovers. But I wouldn't choose Seths for anything heavier than, say, early Maiden.
      I'd recommend a Jazz in the neck as well. I was going to suggest checking out a JB in the bridge if you are doing the rock and metal thing. I haven't tried a 59/custom hybrid yet, so I don't know how the JB compares to that.

Comment

Hybrid bridge is also my suggestion but would do ether the Sentient or maybe the Saturday night special with it.
        Have a Hybrid Sentient set up in my Carvin DC 400 with the mahogany neck and body and it flat kills. In particular the split tones between the Hybrid and the Sentient is jaw dropping.
        Here is my solid KOA DC 127 with the Hybrid and Sentient clean with both buckers split thorough my Subway Rocket.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Brian this is my DC 400 with the Hybrid Sentient all on the crunch channel of my Carvin X 50B I never change the channel or use any dirt outside the amp. This is all volume touch and the amp guitar set up. This is how dynamic and touch sensitive the Hybrid/ Sentient set is in a mahogany neck and body guitar with a really good tube amp. I'm running split with both pickups neck and bridge full humbucking at times in this song but all the different tones are me and the guitar with this pickup set and amp. I am switching a Boss DD-7 delay in and out and have a Hardwire Supernatural verb on but running absolutely nothing else.
          Last edited by Ascension; 11-12-2019, 11:46 PM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Full on Hybrid bridge tone same rig same guitar same gain level and absolutely no effects here for reference. I'm running a different neck pickup but almost all of us seem to agree so far on the Hybrid bridge.
            Guitars

Comment

I was checking out an ESP LTD lp style guitar with the Jazz and 59/Custom hybrid pickups earlier. It was nice. Pretty clear and on the leaner side of fat tones. I can see why people would like the Jazz or A2Pro humbuckers in a les Paul type now. The hybrid sounds better to me than the custom 5, has a bit more girth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
                I was checking out an ESP LTD lp style guitar with the Jazz and 59/Custom hybrid pickups earlier. It was nice. Pretty clear and on the leaner side of fat tones. I can see why people would like the Jazz or A2Pro humbuckers in a les Paul type now. The hybrid sounds better to me than the custom 5, has a bit more girth.
                Agreed on the Custom 5 vs Hybrid have both. The Hybrid is very clear and articulate feels hotter than a Custom 5 or Custom Custom but is not and cleans up better then both. It's one of my all time favorite bridge pickups as of now.
                Guitars

Comment

I’d keep the Rebel Yell set. I had them in my LP for a while and really liked them. I still own them but have experimented with several different pickups in that guitar since.
                  Quite possibly the best neck pickup I’ve ever used.

Comment

I thought WLH was pretty versatile, but count me in the 59/custom hybrid group. It's probably a little better at higher gain stuff while sill being good at blues/rock gain levels, especially if you use the coil split. For the neck, there's a ton of options. I went with a 59 in my LP b/c it takes magnet swaps so well. You can make it do whatever you want.

Comment

Hey bro,
                      I'm sorry that you have to go through all of this and for your pain and circumstances.

I'm sure you realize that this is a question that only you can really answer. I would just like to say, however, that even though others have given some good suggestions, it doesn't make much sense for you to go out and buy new pups...you already have some great ones. My recommendation would be to keep the WLH set and put them into the guitar that you love the most (which at this point seems to be your Dean).

Those pups are really great sounding pups, but they are also very versatile. With an overdrive and/or compressor stomp you should be fine for many years to come.

You're thinning the herd now, but this is NOT just about "guitars", right? It's a time to be conservative. Believe me I've been there done that. After my divorce I lost literally everything (including my home). I had to learn a new way of living...a new way of thinking...and I had to work hard. It was a very tough time, but I got through it. We all do. Now I've got over 50 guitars and over a half dozen amps.

Take it a step at a time but be smart, and you'll get through this temporary set-back, as difficult and painful as it may be.

Hang in there.
                      Last edited by GuitarDoc; 11-13-2019, 07:45 AM.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks All for the input! I appreciate it! I also wanted to mention (slipped my mind when I first posted) that I also have a Rio BBQ bridge and a Suhr Aldrich bridge, an Alnico II neck and a PG set in the box. So I have a few options beyond the Rebel Yell and WLH set.. Not to mention a few other things like JB, etc.. I just dont have the desire to do alot of swapping anymore.. Sorry if thats being lazy, but Im burned out... I rolled a bunch of guitars over the last few years and when I did, I swapped pups in everything new I got and stupidly sold most of the guitars with the upgraded pups in them.. Lost a Crazy 8. alt 8 etc.
                        My health has gotten worse and with my sons passing and all, I just want to play and not have to sit and solder all day...

Guitardoc, First of all, thank you! And yes, you are very perceptive.. Its more than just guitars.. I MUST thin the herd as I need the funds, can no longer support a storage facility to store em in, And just need to be realistic that Im not going to be a high level player and focus on just trying to learn and enjoy in what time I have.. Plus, the men in my fam dont live long and I have to be realistic in that I dont want to leave a mess for my family to clean up.. So yeah, there are a LOT of factors in this sitch..
                        Not trying to be morbid all, but just trying to be realistic. My dad passed at 63, my bro at 51 (year younger than I am), my mom at 72, and now my son at 28. So, I need to clean up my life. Also, I have spent more time the last few years tweaking guitars and swapping pickups etc, than I have playing .. I just want to play and enjoy while I can...

Peace and love bros..
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Suhr Aldrich wired for coil split with A2Pro in the neck. Boom...done!

Comment

And sorry to hear about your circumstances. As it happens, you'll probably feel a lot better about everything once you get rid of the clutter and excess in your life. There's so much "cool" stuff and we live in a culture of consumption, swapping pickups, the thrill of buying new gear all the time, etc. But we often have more than we really need and it's not until we get back to square one that we really see the value (or lack of) in certain things.

I really admire your positive outlook on this. I know its tough, but you're a good person and, as GuitarDoc said, things will work out!

Comment

Sorry you're going through this and I get it. My suggestion would be to pick a set out of what you have already, install them, and have at it. I get the diversity thing and honestly, if you have a push/pull to split them, you'll get everything you need out of that guitar. As you said, you are learning. This is where you can also learn to get sounds by simply adjusting the knobs, keeping it simple. The more of a connection you have with the instrument that way, the better you will become with that one. For years I would play only one guitar and gig with it and something else as a backup only. Making that connection with the instrument to the point that I knew where to reach to adjust the volume, or switch pickups, with my eyes closed, the better I would get with that guitar because I could let go and not over think. When you can close your eyes and play and know exactly where everything is on that one guitar, then you've taken another step.

Comment

Working...
                              X