• Show
Clear All

Re: Noiseless or not noiseless, that is the question

Click image for larger version

Name:	5 Way sw..jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	5817588

I did one like this once that worked perfect but the Pickup models allowed me to do it ( not sure if u can . the rev. wnd middle accommodated it fine on the Ax I wired .

Comment

To me it's clear that I've to change my mind about the Vintage rails, simply because it's not usefulf to achieve my ultimate goal. Because of this I've decided to change it for a Vintage hot stack STK-S7.

I've got in touch with Seymour Duncan to know if my switching scheme would be possible with these pickups. Tourn out that the polarity are inverted compared to what I thought: the Perpetual burn has adjustable south and slug north (this was the only that I've got right), the STK-S4m is rw but has north polarity and the STK-S7 has south polairty.

With these pickups my switching scheme would create hum in the 2 and also in the 4 position. Therefore I've 2 options:

1) Following the KNUCKLHEAD's tip and change the switching scheme to support my "noiseless" idea

2) Following the Seymour Duncan's tip: put the STK-S4m in the neck position and a STK-S4n in the middle, so I'll have the pickups in the right position and with the right polarity to achieve my goal.

As far as the 1 option my doubt is that I have never tried those split options so I don't know how the guitar will end up sounding; definetly the split on the 2 and the 4 position are less common and more unusual than mine...

Concering the Seymour Duncan's tip I think that the STK-S4m in the neck position would be too different from the STK-S7 that I've chose. Also I'm not too confindent in the idea of reverse the neck and middle pickup, I mean the STK-S4m is made for the middle position and the STK-S4n for the neck position and I don't know how well they will sound in a different position...
      Last edited by ElectricGypsy; 11-23-2019, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Well, the middle and the neck STK-S4 sound exactly the same to me, just different polarity. I honestly couldn't hear a difference.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The STK-S4m should be south polarity but RW, which should mean that you can get it in correct phase with STK-S7. They say to use the STK-S7 with STK-S4 middle & STK-S7 in neck, for a noise-cancelling in all positions set, in the STK-S7 amazon page by Seymour Duncan. If that STK-S4 middle means STK-S4m, then...

RWRP means it should be reverse wound, and south polarity, compared to a normal wound, north polarity on another pickup, to get it noiseless but not electrically out of phase, when you don't use it as a stack. [Or you get extra noise-cancelling while using a pair of stacks together in stack mode with one RWRP]

As far as the bridge, humbuckers are pretty easy, you can flip electrical polarity by swapping leads on a coil, and you can flip magnetic polarity by taking the magnet out and rotating it 180 degrees. Just be careful that you don't damage the coil connections while messing with the magnet, and you should be fine.

I'd worry about getting the neck & middle you want, then get tinker with the bridge to get it splitting to the coil you want, with the polarities you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Despair View Post
            The STK-S4m should be south polarity but RW, which should mean that you can get it in correct phase with STK-S7. They say to use the STK-S7 with STK-S4 middle & STK-S7 in neck, for a noise-cancelling in all positions set, in the STK-S7 amazon page by Seymour Duncan. If that STK-S4 middle means STK-S4m, then...
            The STK-S4m has north polarity and the STK-S7 has south polarity. As I've wrote in my previous post I got in touch with the Seymour Duncan's support and they gave me these infos, so it's not a guess...I hope that they know how their pickups are made

And finally the Custom stack plus has south polarity, I've asked them also this. So in the Classic loaded pickguard all the polarities are right to be hum cancelling in all positions...
            Last edited by ElectricGypsy; 11-24-2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricGypsy View Post
              The STK-S4m has north polarity and the STK-S7 has south polarity. As I've wrote in my previous post I got in touch with the Seymour Duncan's support and they gave me these infos, so it's not a guess...I hope that they know how their pickups are made

And finally the Custom stack plus has south polarity, I've asked them also this. So in the Classic loaded pickguard all the polarities are right to be hum cancelling in all positions...
              STK-S4m is SOUTH polarity, see my post here: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...sic-Stack-Plus
              I really wish SD would just include this information on the website. I ended up having to return this pickup and reorder STK-S4n (neck) version instead.

Comment

Working...
              X