Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not happy with my G String

Now that I have your attention, lol

I put together a Warmoth Jazz/P bass hybrid thing over the last couple of months. Stringing it up for the first time, and playing acoustically, E and A sound fantastic. But the D and G strings are very dull, muffled. This is translating through when played amplified - again, E and A sound fantastic. The D and G sound very Motown, James Jamerson.

Hmmm. Needs fixing.

Not sure whether to point my attention to the nut, or perhaps try a new set of strings. Or something else.

I typically use D'Addarios, but this time I gave Rotosound 66s a try due to typically high customer reviews. Now they're on, i'm now reading that Rotosounds often have dull sounding strings out of the box. Murphy's Law. I've never encountered a dead/new string this in all my years of playing so this would be a first.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Not happy with my G String

do the fretted notes sound dull on those strings? if so, its not the nut. i used rotosound flats for years and really liked em. dont have that bass anymore though. could be strings. check the bridge and setup. are the pups high and close to the strings?

Comment

If they sound that way on every fretted note it’s probably the strings.

I use D’Addarios. Once I had a dead D string like this and they sent me a new string.

A few years back I decided to try some Rotosounds on my ‘87 Ibanez 5 string. I used to use Rotosound back in the 70s on my Rick.

The low B on the Roto set was dead like this, and wouldn’t even play in tune. So I tried Another set and they were the same. I wasn’t impressed at all with them. The next day I put D’Addarios back on.

If it’s not the strings check the bridge saddles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well there you go. I read a suggestion to slack off the problem strings then twist the ball end 180º. It worked, haha! tone is now uniform across all four strings!

I love a cheap fix!

Comment

Originally posted by che_guitarra View Post
          Well there you go. I read a suggestion to slack off the problem strings then twist the ball end 180º. It worked, haha! tone is now uniform across all four strings!

I love a cheap fix!
          I’ve read in bass player once that a bunch of well known bassists as part of a roundtable talked about not wrapping your strings around the tuner post by hand, because it twists the string like this.

I’ve never experienced this problem, but there you go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Try some boy shorts!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
              I’ve read in bass player once that a bunch of well known bassists as part of a roundtable talked about not wrapping your strings around the tuner post by hand, because it twists the string like this.
              The way to avoid that problem is to, just before the string is too tight to allow it, pull the string toward the bridge so that the ball end is not touching the bridge and allow it to turn freely by itself. Do that a couple times and you've effectively eliminated any torque caused by the tuners.
              Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
              To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Working...
              X