Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building a Pedal Board

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post
    Electro Harmonix Soul Food. I use it as a clean boost. As for volume pedal, my foot is on it all the time. I want it so that delay tails are allowed to continue. That's why all modulation and delays are in the effects loop.
    I hear you on the delay tails. Put the volume before delay . . . but I like it a lot better after OD and gain, hence why I'd recommend it in the loop.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      I hear you on the delay tails. Put the volume before delay . . . but I like it a lot better after OD and gain, hence why I'd recommend it in the loop.
      I will definitely try it in the effects loop and see what I get.
      -Butch

Comment

If the taper is “odd” after a buffer for you, try the 25K version.

Overall, your order looks great. Try the delay in the loop and last in line before your amp. Learn how your two gain pedals react to each channel of your amp (and you probably won’t use the highest boost channel).

Most of all, enjoy playing with all the tonal options you can create...
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post
          ... I want it so that delay tails are allowed to continue. That's why all modulation and delays are in the effects loop.
          Given this, I would try the Volume Pedal in 3 places:

1) where it is in your diagram - which affects the gain structure of your drive pedals, and could potentially darken your guitar’s tone - note that here, it’s just a simple extension of your guitar’s volume pot, whereas 2 and 3 provide added flexibility.

2) between the RT66 and the amp - using the amp as a master gain/compression stage - one option here is to set the full-on of the vol pedal as your solo level, then you can ride the pedal to pull back for rhythm tones without sacrificing dirt.

3) as the first pedal in the loop, before delay, etc. - as a master volume over your driven guitar tone. Similar to two and, effectively treating your preamp as a pedal in chain.

As always, there are no right/wrong answers, just try things and see what works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

What if I add a chorus to the effects loop. It will sit there with the delay and Boss processor. Does it matter the order?
            -Butch

Comment

Chorus doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot with regards to delay. I think that I slightly prefer it into delay, but it would probably be a while if you switched their positions before I figured out that they were switched (if I ever did). I only notice the difference with extreme chorus settings that I rarely use.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Hey, Butch. Check out https://www.pedalplayground.com/ It's great for checking commercial pedalboard sizes and there's a lot of pedals you can overlay to test fit the space.
                "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by Cdwillis View Post
                  Hey, Butch. Check out https://www.pedalplayground.com/ It's great for checking commercial pedalboard sizes and there's a lot of pedals you can overlay to test fit the space.
                  Seen that site as well as another one. They're nice, but lack a lot of the pedals I own.
                  -Butch

Comment

I have my volume pedal last in the chain. You can put it wherever you want on the board, and then wire it where it should be in the signal chain.

My pedalboard signal chain is wah->Phase 90->Overdrive->EHX Microsynth->Whammy->volume pedal.

I only use the volume pedal in two songs where I need to clean up my amp’s tone a bit.

All my modulation/delay/reverb is in my amp. To the right of my pedal board is the amp’s preset controller.

I only use pedals for solos or certain parts in songs, so this layout works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just wanted to big, heart-felt thanks to all who have given their thoughts and opinions. I have read a lot of varying thoughts on this. What it has taught me is to just get in and try everything. I wanted to have a baseline thought process before just throwing effects in whatever order.

One thing I think I have decided is that neither the DS-1 nor Soul Food need to be part of the chain. I'm using amp OD/dist. I have a Route 66 that gives me a great boost that is cleaner and more organic than the Soul Food. I bought an Ernie Ball VP Jr. Need to see where it goes best in the chain. Also bought a used Deja Vu. That will sit in the effects loop. I'll try more experimenting tonight and see what works and where.

I've been playing a fairly long time in many different scenarios. It's fun to get back to a "beginner's mind".
                      -Butch

Comment

So given the replies I have read, Here's what I will be trying tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pedal order1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	5817594
                        -Butch

Comment

Think I'd swap the deja-vu and modulations personally, that way if you have say flanging on you get repeats of the flanged sound . . . rather than flanging the repeated sound. If that makes any sense. :P

It's very much a personal preference thing though.

Comment

Here is, what I believe to be, my completed design. Now to build it.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	PedalBoardv1.png
Views:	1
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	5817782
                            -Butch

Comment

Working...
                            X