No announcement yet.

Fender edge strat - scallop Vs refret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender edge strat - scallop Vs refret?

Hey guys I'm thinking of buying the edge strat. Not an edge fan at all but a massive Yngwie fan and it's the only strat that I've played with the big headstock that I love the feel of.

Only problem I ran into was I found doing 1 and a half step bends difficult (which I do a lot). I didn't get why untill I realised I'm used to playing an Ibanez with big frets and a 16 inch radius fretboard. The edge has med Jumbo's and a 9.5 inch radius fretboard so I have two options:

1) scallop the board which supposedly makes bending and vibrato way easier (I'm weary about doing this as I've never played a scalloped board, there's none near me that I can try and its no going back

2) get a refret and maybe flatten out the radius. I will at least be certain that I will get it back playing well because it'll be like my ibanez/other fenders that I have liked bending on. Only problem is that new frets plus flattening the board will be mega expensive (correct me if I'm wrong)

Also - Yngwie uses scallops with huge frets. Scallops with medium Jumbo's should give me that effortless bending thing I hear about right?(sorry if this is a silly question!)

Cheers guys! \m/

Re: Fender edge strat - scallop Vs refret?

I don't think bigger frets really feel like a scalloped board, but I use a fully scalloped board. I jumped right in, but I would understand that it might be a big risk. I'd suggest getting a cheaper Strat and buying a Warmoth scalloped neck. You could always sell both.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Go for the scalloped fretboard! You'll love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I don't think bigger frets really feel like a scalloped board, but I use a fully scalloped board. I jumped right in, but I would understand that it might be a big risk. I'd suggest getting a cheaper Strat and buying a Warmoth scalloped neck. You could always sell both.
        +1 to going with a cheaper Strat and a neck that fits your needs - nothing particularly special about the Edge Strat as soon as you start replacing parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Your third option is to raise the action.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thing is, a scalloped board is really its own thing. I think it would be more popular if it weren't tied to a polarizing person like Yngwie (although John McLaughlin was my inspiration). Once people feel how easy it is to bend on a scalloped board (if your style depends on that), it is hard to go back to a regular one.

Comment

I have kinda liked the scalloped boards I've played, but they're very different feeling than playing even the biggest jumbo frets. It's enough of a difference that switching between the two would require a bit of adjustment.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The 4th option would be to get a neck with the attributes you like, and then that way if you decide to switch away from it later you won't have committed an irreversible mod on a nice guitar, and the original neck will be intact.

Comment

If the radius is making the bends choke with the action you want, then only a flatter radius will help.

In that case then simply buying a new neck already with the radius/scallop + frets you want would be the better option.

Comment

I was going to build a warmth strat exactly the way I wanted it but I live in the UK and shipping costs plus having to sell them. Ik I sound lazy but it's a lot of effort. The edge is cool cos of the thin neck, headstock shape, 2 point trem and recessed heel joint. You don't really get all those features together. From what I hear scalloping seems like a good way to go. I'm sure I could learn to adapt to having a light touch with chords.

Comment

Be careful of scalloping on such a thin neck- make sure you trust the person doing it, and they have experience with those necks.

Comment

Sounds like that is not the Strat for you. Too much monkey business required to get it how you want.

Try an older G&L, from the days when they used 12" radius boards and big frets as their standard.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X