Strat Pickup help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Pickup help

I have a 91 MIJ Wayne's world strat (basswood) with a maple Warmoth neck that is in need of different pickups. I have Fender Tex Mex pick ups installed currently. The neck and middle are ok, but the bridge is thin and too bright. Overall this guitar is pretty bright and I'd like to even it out and get some more output. I'm looking for a mix of classic/blues to modern rock(Foo Fighters/Audioslave sound at the heaviest). I'd like some recommendations.

Currently I am thinking:
    1) SSL-6 B, APS-2 RW M, APS-2 N
    2) SL59 B, APS-2 RW M, SSL-6 N (hotter option)

Option 1 is playing it pretty safe and would fix the brightness. Option 2 seems pretty versatile, but would it be a weird pairing?

Re: Strat Pickup help

I like your #2 option the best, although another option if you want everything to stay single coil, is 3 Quarter Pounds.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I agree that option #2 would likely fit your needs best. Btw the APS-II is my favorite single coil.

Comment

i dont like the ssl6 in the neck unless you are running 500k pots, its too dark for my taste with 250k. i love the qp strat pups in the bridge but i dont like them in the neck

Comment

Is there another single coil you like? I'm a fan of lead neck tone, which why I am leaning towards that SSL6.

Comment

OK, 2 APS-2s, and a Quarter Pound.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

neck lead tone? custom surfer bridge in the neck. spec is almost 10k but its wound with thinner wire so its not as hot as the dcr would indicate but its a little thicker with a bit more output than then neck version. i prefer the neck version cleanb but if youre doing a lot of neck single coil leads, its a great choice without going too over the top. still sounds good clean too, just not as bright and spanky as the neck version.

custom surfer in the neck, aps1 middle and a qp or hot stack plus or lil 59 or ? in the bridge depending on what you are after tonally. the qp has good bottom and gritty top, the hot has a smoother top with bigger mids and less bottom, the lil 59 has more of a bucker type tone

Comment

Try moving your second tone knob to the bridge pickup before swapping in new ones. Even if you drop in new pickups, having the tone on the bridge works better.
                -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Working...
                X