HS, Les Paul 3-way, Autosplit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS, Les Paul 3-way, Autosplit

Am I correct that this is impossible without using a super-switch?
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: HS, Les Paul 3-way, Autosplit

Very cool about an H/S les paul. Don't think I've seen one of those in a very long time if not ever.

With a standard 3 way toggle it would be impossible is my theory. However.. one option of course I've only seen on Ibanez guitars it's an on/on/on mini toggle that is the size of a 3 way. The SZ320 the one with the Ibanez ND2 pickups in blue with the chrome mounting rings to be specific. I remember Dimarzio posting this John Petrucci diagram with a similar switch. That had both bridge and neck pickup coilsplit in something similar to the autosplit. If your neck pickups a 2 wire single coil I don't see why this wouldn't work. I'll have to take photos of the switch.

Your best bet is one of the following if I was to approach it
    lets say you don't like push pull pots and that switch is a pain to find
    the freeway toggle switch it's a 6 position toggle switch. It's more on the expensive side around 60$ from stewmac. I'd only get this if both pickups were 4 wire. Otherwise it's a waste

lets say you like the idea of push pulls as they are way cheaper
    one if its just the bridge assuming your neck pickup is a 2 wire single coil , or you want simplicity
    two if your neck pickup is 4 wire. you'd double your tones

For the most versatility with two push pull pots. I have this setup on two of my guitars. This can go all the way up to 4 push pulls to be extremely versatile but I always found 4 was overkill.
    Last edited by shadowfire90; 11-15-2019, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I’m trying to retain use of the existing pots/switch, and not need to drill for any additional controls; so I may be stuck without the split.

(Guitar is actually a Jazzmaster - which uses the same three-way as Les Paul - or at least I’m using a Les Paul switch, most Jazzmasters use the L-shaped SG.)
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I was actually researching the jazzmaster wiring a few weeks back to incorporate the rhythm circuit in a guitar like a strat or something along those lines.

I actually found the switch I was talking about from that Ibanez as the guy wanted a different switch. This is an ON/ON/ON 4P3T switch. The dimensions are similar to a standard 3 way toggle. I'm comparing it to an import one I had. This is a cheaper option to do what you're after. I'm now tempted to see if I can figure out a way to make one of these turn my warlocks bridge position series.

Comment

Actually, that switch is a 4P2T.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

In which position(S) do you want to auto split the bucker?

Comment

There is a company that makes a kind of a super-3 way toggle. It's actually a 6 position switch and it kinda behaves like a stick shift that allows you to do any crazy wiring schenanigans you can imagine.

But not with a regular Les Paul style toggle, unfortunately, I would use the middle position of my LP a whole lot more if it were to split both pickups.
              Originally posted by jcthejester13
              Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

ah yes the freeway toggle. Stewmac has them and I'd get them If they weren't so expensive I would have a few of them myself but 60$ is about the price of a used name brand pickup where I live.

It'll be cheaper to go with a push pull or two

Ibanez poorly documented this wiring so it'll give me something to do as that Ibanez SZ320 had that exact wiring you're looking for and I can post it on my imgur image hosting site.

This switch which I hope is cheaper or at least easy to find is
                4 x 3 in contacts - 4 poles means it's ... 4P
                it's 3 positions, on/on/on so three throws .. 3T
                so... 4P3T, hopefully it's just a bad angle of the photo, this is for reference. It's an odd switch I've seen twice in a decade of modding guitars and doing the odd pedal or two.

Comment

the switch ... or wiring i am surprised i didnt throw out that keeps on giving. I tested this with two pickups following the seymour duncan color code and came up with these two realistic applications. I got out my tape measure to pick measure too this time.

Assuming the other pickup is 4 wire as well this worked for me. Didn't solder the wiring into a guitar but it passed my multimeter test. This wiring includes a switch more magical than all of the alnico on lollipop island, it's so enchanted all the ceramic warlocks can't pick orange drops from the far away tree of "there". I've really got to open a window and let this solder smoke out... I've put two realistic applications of it. The SZ320 had a red wire from the neck pickup which may mean it was out of phase but regardless since it was a rush job for me to even get the switch so I didn't document it as well as I usually do when I see weird stuff. Regardless this should do the job if not some wiring wizard ... possibly those really helpful ceramic ones... they can help point us in the right direction!

firstly a picture of what the switch will look like. Not my guitar, but a great photo

and two forms of the wiring , I cut the wires really close to the contacts but enough were there to do process of elimination and do a quick first test. It may not be perfect. I may have used the wrong shade of black.. ok ... ok... My windows open now. Happy tone chasing. Any questions message me privately.

Comment

Dimarzio has a switch that was used in the ibanez petrucci model. It auto splits to the center coils parallel in the middle position. It's an on/on/on.

For an HS setup, just hook up the neck positive lead to both the full and center position.

You'll get bridge split /neck single in the middle position.

Those freeway 6way switches are cool I want to try one out.

Comment

The Freeway switch I used in an LP was a little clumsy. There were 3 sounds I would use all the time (don't remember what they were), so I'd rather just hardwire those if that could be done.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
                        Dimarzio has a switch that was used in the ibanez petrucci model. It auto splits to the center coils parallel in the middle position. It's an on/on/on.
                        Oh damn this sounds like just the thing. I’m gonna look into one of those.
                        Originally posted by jcthejester13
                        Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
                          This switch which I hope is cheaper or at least easy to find is
                          4 x 3 in contacts - 4 poles means it's ... 4P
                          it's 3 positions, on/on/on so three throws .. 3T
                          ]
                          No! That's WRONG! It's 3 positions but only 2 throws. You need to know a couple definitions before you start throwing out that misinformation.
                          "Poles" are the common terminals of a switch. In the case you illustrated, the poles/commons are the 4 middle lugs.
                          "Throws" are the terminals that the poles can connect to. In your illustration, the poles can connect to either of the outer terminals (the upper terminals or the lower terminals). 2 terminals are available for each pole to connect to regardless of the number of switch positions. If the switch you illustrated were a two position switch, it could be a 4P2T on/on or on/off switch. If it were a three position switch, it could be a 4P2T on/on/on or on/off/on switch.

In any case, it is a 4P2T switch.
                          Last edited by GuitarDoc; 11-21-2019, 08:50 AM.

Comment

the switch ... or wiring i am surprised i didnt throw out that keeps on giving. I tested this with two pickups following the seymour duncan color code and came up with these two realistic applications. I got out my tape measure to pick measure too this time.

Assuming the other pickup is 4 wire as well this worked for me. Didn't solder the wiring into a guitar but it passed my multimeter test. This wiring includes a switch more magical than all of the alnico on lollipop island, it's so enchanted all the ceramic warlocks can't pick orange drops from the far away tree of "there". I've really got to open a window and let this solder smoke out... I've put two realistic applications of it. The SZ320 had a red wire from the neck pickup which may mean it was out of phase but regardless since it was a rush job for me to even get the switch so I didn't document it as well as I usually do when I see weird stuff. Regardless this should do the job if not some wiring wizard ... possibly those really helpful ceramic ones... they can help point us in the right direction!

firstly a picture of what the switch will look like. Not my guitar, but a great photo
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]102079[/ATTACH]

and two forms of the wiring , I cut the wires really close to the contacts but enough were there to do process of elimination and do a quick first test. It may not be perfect. I may have used the wrong shade of black.. ok ... ok... My windows open now. Happy tone chasing. Any questions message me privately.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]102080[/ATTACH]
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]102081[/ATTACH]
                            You've really got to get off of those "meds"!

Comment

this is for reference. It's an odd switch I've seen twice in a decade of modding guitars and doing the odd pedal or two.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]102077[/ATTACH]
                              Yes that is an odd switch. The most common 4P2T on/on/on switch, in position 2 (the middle switch position) connects the "A" pole (middle lug) with the "A" bottom throw (bottom lug); and connects the "B" pole (middle lug) with the "B" upper throw (upper lug) in your diagram. It's as if A and B is a duplicate 2P2T switch of C and D.

Comment

Working...
                              X