Pickup for PRS Custom 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup for PRS Custom 24

Well im looking for a bridge pickup, the stock 57/08 is too low output pickup for my taste.

Im looking for something with tight bass response, more output, clarity, more towards a fat sounding pickup.

I think that the neck 57/08, is not also great pickup.

Re: Pickup for PRS Custom 24

'59 model could meet some of those needs (good low end, improvement from 57/08), outside of the output factor. It may not be *hot* enough. But, it's an option worth checking out. My 2nd thought would be the Saturday Night Special bridge.

Three other humbucker I'd recommend: 1) Duncan custom (high output, low end thump) 2) '59/custom 3)Pegasus
    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

I'd think the 59/Custom Hybrid would do this perfectly.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I recently put a Custom 5 in a Strat, and love it. Both of my PRS guitars have the HFS/Vintage Bass set, which I love, but I'm curious to try the C5 in them.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Custom bridge / PG neck.
          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Fat, tight, & clear in Seymour Duncan I'd probably look at a TB-5 Custom (perhaps swap the magnet to A8 if the ceramic is too bright). Screamin' Demon also fits most of that, but probably not quite hot enough. [Or if you want more vintage output/tone, a '59 Bridge or Whole Lotta Humbucker, depending on how much you emphasize tight ('59) vs fat (WLH).]

The PATB-2 Parallel Axis Distortion might be another option, it's an amazing gonzo metal pickup. Not the tightest, but very fat, massive growl, singing leads, crazy sustain & harmonics, and one of the hottest passives Seymour Duncan makes. Might be excessive output and less flexible than you want. Surprising amount of pick articulation, but it turns up more as tone change than volume, given any amount of distortion. Massively fun pickup to play. I've heard people play thrash on it, and it was definitely better for leads than conventional Distortion, but took more effort to keep under control for rhythm.

Outside of Seymour Duncan, Railhammer Alnico Grande seem to fit the requirements particularly well. Wound strings are tight because of the rail, plain strings fat thanks to oversized pole pieces, it's wound pretty hot, but still can do a wide range of styles. Kind of like a Custom 5 with more mids and output.

Comment

Working...
            X