JB and Distortion - winds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ja and Distortion - winds

In my experience, actual output is the only accurate measure of actual output. Everything else is just ingredients in the recipe. You can’t judge a pizza just by the flour alone.

Comment

It's like comparing grain alcohol with aged scotch.

Comment

I actually did try this out today on a cheap test pickup. I never would have thought that there was no connection between inductance and resistance. Times lke this I'm glad I joined the forum. Oddly enough I had an alnico 5 magnet I took out of a guitar pickup a few days ago to try this and it's true.

I'd say stick with ceramic. Luckily it's not priced similarly to gold. It'll be a fun project. The only alnico I'd let near a SH-6 or JB is alnico 8 as it's stronger than 5. Or just go with neodymium for heavier tones. To each their own. Everything is done for a reason in those pickups.For all we know it could be a different diameter of wire used to wind the pickup to get a similar resistance but different inductance or a different technique or alloy for the pole pieces to give it, This is all speculation but hey Winter Namm is just around the corner. I wonder what would convince Seymour to tell those interested if he goes this year.

either way without unwrapping the pickup the fastest or easiest way to figure out which pickup it is assuming it's never been modified I'd say is doing inductance. I had this older Bill Lawrence pickup and without inductance I would have had no idea which mode lI had as it came out of a late 80s to early 90s Washburn guitar.
        Last edited by shadowfire90; 11-18-2019, 11:33 PM.

Comment

So you CAN NOT hear the difference.

Comment

For the record, I have 2 stock JBs from different time periods and they sound noticeably different from each other. So unless you have a DD and a JB from the same winder and same date, not sure how well you can get an apples to apples comparison.

Comment

Re: JB and Distortion - winds

I am more concerned about putting a magnetic pickup on top of a laptop like in the picture above. If the disk drive is magnetic you can kill it.
              Who took my guitar?

Comment

Re: JB and Distortion - winds

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                I am more concerned about putting a magnetic pickup on top of a laptop like in the picture above. If the disk drive is magnetic you can kill it.
                The magnet is likely not nearly powerful enough for that

Hell I don't think rare earth magnet bars are even enough

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by Myaccount876
                Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Working...
                X