"Extreme Shaped Guitars" Talk And Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Extreme Shaped Guitars" Talk And Recommendations

As it says talk and reccomendations of the "Extreme Body Shape" guitars example Explorer, V, BC Rich, ML, RD, Etc. reccomendations and advice is encouaged for those wishing to buy.

First off i would like reccomendations on explorer type guitars. I have always thought they just looked like the coolest thing ever since I saw James Hetfield play one. (Especially the EET FUK, ESP from the And Justice era) But I always have trouble looking for one that might be that perfect one. I heard Chapman Ghost Frets are really good choices. (I also don't mind the ESP / LTD model with that concave cut at the bottom so weird body differences aren't really a bother.)

Also does anyone have any experience with the Ritchie Faulkner Epiphone V.

And finally is $900 American a good price for a next to mint condition made in Korea Dean Dimebag Stealth "Dime Slime" with swapped pickups. (New usually is at $1,100) Even though the ML might lokk weird to most I always had a fascination with them partially because Dimebag is probably my biggest guitar hero. For example I see as most metalheads do Lemmy is god. But I see Dimebag as the Messiah. No joke evrytime I see a dimebag guitar in a store it's like Wayne's World when they meet Alice Cooper except it's one person bowing to a guitar.

Thank you and have a good time.

Re: "Extreme Shaped Guitars" Talk And Recommendations

I'd say extreme shaped guitars appeal is quite personal. Explorer type guitar (albeit loose model interpretation) that pleases to my eyes is Ibanez Iceman. I also like BC Rich Mockingbird. And Mosrite (this one is quirky instead of extreme). You see the pattern from the models I mention here right? Offset bodies with longer lower horn.

Comment

Explorers have the advantage of being comfortable to play standing or sitting. They do look badass..... The first time for me was Drew Abbott spanking one with Bob Seger on the Night Moves tour. Mockingbirds are comfy, too.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yeah I kinda noticed your drift. I'm pretty fond of the Icemans myself because of KISS the Paul Stanley rhinestone and cracked mirror Icemans are just iconic. I'm not personaly big on most Ibanez shapes buts I like the Iceman, Fireman, and destroyers quite well (especially the Def Leppard Destroyer.) Mosrite are for sure a funky one the Johnny Ramone Mosrite is pretty sweet as well. (They have an Eastwood re-issue) The Mocking bird I'm always on the fence about that model I only really like them in the natiral finish something i'm usually not big on. What do you think of the new BC Rich line up by the way and Kerry King leaving for Dean. I'm honestly not that surprised I remember I saw him with Slayer on the first leg of the Farewell tour. And literally all his guitars were the same from the interveiw in 2013 when Gary Still used Schecters. And going to Dean as the choice if he was to move to any other brand I would have guessed Dean. I Remember watching a video where it was a few years after Dimebag died and Dime ordered a guitar for him (and Zakk Wylde) that he never opened the box of and when he did he was really impressed with the quality and everything.

Comment

Also the korina explorers man those things look amazing. Aperently one of the big reasons Gibson doesn't use korina a lot is becasue aperently when they cut it the way it grows or where it's grown or something it has this mold that shows up that stains certain part darker. It's not actually dangerous to the guitar it just gives it basiaclly a small green spot.

Comment

There is a reason I have owned my Iceman since it was probably new, 1996, love the shape. Explorers are a great shape as well, love the BC Rich Warlocks as well.
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

My favorite goofy looking guitar is Paul Gilbert’s Ibanez Fireman.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the Explorer style and also love "V" shaped guitars.

Check out the newer Schecter V and E series. Personally, I'm loving the new "Apocalypse" stuff:

Comment

While I don't like extreme shapes at all, as a kid, I liked the Carvin V220 and the Washurn A20.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ive always loved Explorers, and especially loved Hamer Standards with the slightly diff headstock. I have an explorer and love it, but sadly, due to the bulk and weight with my bad back, I dont give it the love it deserves.. Ive always liked the ESP ones Het played too. Never have played one tho.
                    I remember WAY back with Rickey Medlock playing the Hamers in Blackfoot, Hlubek in Molly hatchet. Then Jabs in the Sorps with the explorer.
                    Ive always like the Carvin V220s, and have always wanted a 3 pup Destroyer like Phil Collen played on the Pyromania tour.
                    And yes, always loved warlocks too!!

Im very intrigued with the Richie Faulkner V. Love the inlays and the feature set. ONLY thing I dont know that I care for is the large pick guard. But, thats personal taste. Im very curious to play one. I like the slim taper necks, but this is a "custom profile" so, Id have to try one.. V's are great looking and fun to play. Just alittle more difficult to play sitting down..
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Its hard to play v's unless you get those foam pads / steinburger leg, rest or don't mind putting it invetween your legs.

Comment

While I don't like extreme shapes at all, as a kid, I liked the...….. Washburn A20
                        Have loved Washburn stuff since the late 70's. Had a black A10 I loaded up with gold hardware. It looked terrific, but had the trebliest sound of any electric I ever owned. Albert Collins would have loved it.
                        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Got a Japanese Jackson Kelly. It’s like an explorer but smaller and wormier, similar to a V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've played a version of a kelly cheapest possible one fairly well playing surprisingly.

Comment

Explorers are extremely ergonomic, at least to me.

Which one depends on budget and needs.

If you have $600 to $700 and some patience, and can dig the 496/500 pickup set, you should be able to get a rosewood board Gibson one from the aughts (rosewood board probably means black, trans red, or natural). I paid $600 for my ebony boarded one (white), via Craig's List about 7 years ago (had to drive about 125 miles each way to get it, though).

If you have a lower budget, and want a more "vintage" style Explorer, get the Epi Korina '58. Nice bang for the buck, and a decent upgrade platform. Be aware that they did come in black as well as the boring, typical clear.

If you don't necessarily want a '50s or '70s Gibson style one, there are lots of copycat or based-on models out there that are more modern. I don't really know them, though.

The Dean Z is a pretty nice '50s style Explorer, but with a few cosmetic tweaks. It has the Dean splayed headstock, string through trim plate, and no guard. Otherwise, fairly classic/simple.

I have an '06 Gibson and an '04 Dean U.S.A. Z, myself. Each was the same price: $600. Both were steals IMO.
                              Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-24-2019, 05:06 PM.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X