"Extreme Shaped Guitars" Talk And Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Extreme Shaped Guitars" Talk And Recommendations

I love the Iceman body, I think they feel great! One of my first guitars was an Iceman and I've always felt at home on them. I dig Explorers but have only owned 1, drove me nuts that I kept smashing into everything around me with it lol

Mockingbirds are pretty great if you can deal with the neck dive

My fave oddball currently is a Carlino Identity - 2 piece Korina body, 3 piece Korina neck

Click image for larger version

Name:	51330680_2265887210399732_383517322284892160_o.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	5817600
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I love some of the odd V-shapes like the Carvins and the curvy Washburns from the HM/WM series.

Typical V shapes just don't do it for me. I always loved BCR wildness!,, and beveled edges makes a big difference too IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
        I love some of the odd V-shapes like the Carvins and the curvy Washburns from the HM/WM series.

Typical V shapes just don't do it for me. I always loved BCR wildness!,, and beveled edges makes a big difference too IMO.

Something's wrong with your Pbucket link; the pic has been defocused except for the Pbucket logo.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Don't know how exotic you want to go, but IMO it's hard to beat the retro-futuristic look of John Backlund's designs.

Here are mine:

and some others:

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

^^^^^You win this thread! I love the look of those guitars, are they hard to sit and play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I tend to like ergonomic designs, and some of them fall into the 'extreme shape' category. This is a Teuffel I played at NAMM that was wonderful, but $$$.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	5817605
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Anyone remember the G-707 guitar synth controller from Roland? It was quite comfy to play standing or sitting.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I like V shapes. For me being a tall lanky person with long limbs, sitting down with a stratocaster type guitar isn't that comfortable, my arms are too long. and so I end up having to "hold up" my arm to be in picking position which gets my shoulder really sore after a couple of minutes. I have to stand up with the strap pretty low for my right arm to be comfortable.

V shapes sitting down are pretty much the ultimate for me. You tuck the bottom part of the V between your legs and you sit with a strap on so it holds the guitar up for you. it holds it in a place that's right where I need it to be, it's pretty much classical position but classical position on a strat-type is really uncomfortable for me, it keeps slipping off my leg ; this stays locked in place. it also makes fretting easier with your left hand since it's shifted over a bit. something to think about! I can play a V sitting down all day with zero discomfort

I find my Kelly (explorer type) quite the opposite. it's horribly uncomfortable to play sitting down, the upper horn digs into my ribs and it constantly slips out of place on my lap. it's pretty much a standing up only guitar for me. but the sound is HUGE.

Comment

Originally posted by jimilee View Post
                    ^^^^^You win this thread! I love the look of those guitars, are they hard to sit and play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    The Model 100 (burgundy mist) is pretty awkward to play sitting down in the typical position.
                    But classical-guitar position works fine for it, and on a strap its balance is perfect.

The Model 400 (red & cream) is a tad neck heavy on a strap - not neck-divingly bad like an SG, just a little bit.
                    And it's pretty comfy when sitting down.
                    Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 11-21-2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Um recommendations? Yes! Dean Korean made stuff in Z and V configurations are pretty sweet and moderately priced. These are limited run Korean imports from 2004. Good USA Deans can be had for around a grand on occasion too.
                      Attached Files
                      Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                      Guitar to sound output:
                      Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                        Don't know how exotic you want to go, but IMO it's hard to beat the retro-futuristic look of John Backlund's designs.

Here are mine:

and some others:

Wonder if this is one of his guitars? Joe Perry Vegas. Not my shot.

Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                        Guitar to sound output:
                        Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Wow, those a fricking awesome!

Seriously, the coolest, most original stuff I've seen in a long time!

This one makes me drool...

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
                            Um recommendations? Yes! Dean Korean made stuff in Z and V configurations are pretty sweet and moderately priced. These are limited run Korean imports from 2004. Good USA Deans can be had for around a grand on occasion too.
                            Got my Dean Z Pro in the uncommon rosewood (i.e. purple) color for $600 with OHSC. Came with a Dimebucker too, which I sold for 50 bucks. In terms of build quality per total investment, this is probably the best score of my guitar buying experience (which is extensive).
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

All those Backlund guitars make me think of Billy Gibbons. He probably has one of each in his collection.

My Dean ML Chicago Standard is easily my most extreme shaped guitar. I love it though. It's an incredible instrument end to end. No complaints, other than the case is larger than my bass case...LOL.
                              Last edited by ErikH; 11-28-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I recently, well kind of recently, bought an Eii frx. Very nice guitar. Plays awesome feels awesome.
                                A long the lines of the explorer, Ibanez Destroyer is a good one as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X