• Show
Clear All

Re: "Extreme Shaped Guitars" Talk And Recommendations

I've always liked the Dean Split Tail.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
      ^That must be limiting. I play metal with three single coil Strat and a Tele with a P90; don't bother me at all.
      I don't know if it is limiting as much as freeing. The great thing about this world of guitar is that there are many different approaches, and I appreciate them all. I tend to use limitations as inspiration, like, for instance, deciding not to bend strings for 3 whole years. Some people embrace convention, some bust right through them. It is all good to me.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        I have a few funky shapes in my stable but as time marches on I am leaning more toward traditional body shapes. My last two purchases since this picture was taken were Pauls.

Is that a red Pro X Mockingbird?
        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Samick Lover View Post
          Plantegenet custom guitars. Retro look.

I like these, more a 20s-30s art-deco look than 50s-60s.
          Those huge radiator pickups on the one - do they use dual P90 coils like the early PRS prototype experiments?
          They look to be the right size for that.

Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 11-26-2019, 01:29 AM.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

When I think of 'extreme shaped' guitars..they need to be pointy. Jackson Rhoads, BC Rich Warlocks. Hondo H1's, Ibanez XV500's / DT250's ..& my fave pointy of all time..the Ironbird:

Which I'm a proud owner of
            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
              Is that a red Pro X Mockingbird?
              Yup, I pulled out the active wiring and pickup then added passive Fralin SHO pickups. The black B.C. Rich is a Mockingbird acoustic.

Comment

Securb, whats the silver Iceman with the one hb and bigsby?
                1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400
                Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

This is an older picture it now has a 490T in it. It is a Japanese 1980 Iceman. It has a Fishman Piezo bridge, locking tuners, the controls are Fishman Blender, StellarTone Guitar 10 ToneStyler, Master Volume with a switch to select piezo, bridge or both.

I put the T.V. Jones in the neck of my Tele and it screams. I like it much more as a neck pickup than a bridge.

Comment

Securb, Speaking of pointy guitars with TV Jones pickups in it. I couldn't pass up the Warmoth Korina V in this shot for the price it was. Really interesting sounds with various settings. I had one friend play it and get some George Benson style licks and I have gotten some AC/DC Bar chord Rythmn tones out of it. It is my first guitar with that pickup. The others are a Hamer and a Dean Czech made V.
                    Attached Files
                    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                    Guitar to sound output:
                    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Love all three Vs, there is something cool about a TVJ in the neck.

Comment

Wow, that middle V, and I generally don't like Vs...but that is cool.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                          This is an older picture it now has a 490T in it. It is a Japanese 1980 Iceman. It has a Fishman Piezo bridge, locking tuners, the controls are Fishman Blender, StellarTone Guitar 10 ToneStyler, Master Volume with a switch to select piezo, bridge or both.

I put the T.V. Jones in the neck of my Tele and it screams. I like it much more as a neck pickup than a bridge.

Very cool, dont recall see an Iceman with a single hb. Ive seen some with a triple coil in the bridge and never a bigsby.
                          1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                          Jackson Soloist 7 string
                          ESP LTD M-400
                          Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I know that for some reason Jackson's Warrior shape does not get much love, but it really grew on me... Despite any initial thoughts, it is super comfy either sitting or standing and what I personally love about it the most is that you dont have to hang it around your knees to look cool with it. Somehow the shape makes it look like it's hanging lower than it actually is, while I can have it reasonably high, almost as if I was playing sitting, which makes it a joy to play.

Comment

My favorite "extreme" shapes are the Rhoads and the Explorer. Mine are an 03 Jackson RR5 and an Epi '58 Korina. Both are comfortable to play sitting or standing. And something about the shape of these allows my right arm to be at an angle that makes it easier for me to do fast down strokes. Also I'd really like to check out a Chapman Ghost Fret in person. They are nice looking guitars and get good reviews.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
                                Um recommendations? Yes! Dean Korean made stuff in Z and V configurations are pretty sweet and moderately priced. These are limited run Korean imports from 2004. Good USA Deans can be had for around a grand on occasion too.
                                I'll put in another vote for Korean made Deans. Razorbacks are really decent playing and sounding models. And comfortable sitting too. Last I knew, prices were reasonable. Just don't swing them around when standing. or you'll find out the real reason they are called shredders.

"I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

Comment

Working...
                                X