Help me build a guitar monstrosity!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me build a guitar monstrosity!

You really don't want to use lacquer over enamel. It CAN be done if your first 3-4 coats are "dry", but even then you have to be very careful so that the lacquer doesn't "crinkle" the enamel.
    I would just use a polyurethane clear coat.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

How hard is it to grain fill swamp ash? Would it look bad if I don't?
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        You really don't want to use lacquer over enamel. It CAN be done if your first 3-4 coats are "dry", but even then you have to be very careful so that the lacquer doesn't "crinkle" the enamel.
        I would just use a polyurethane clear coat.
        I could be wrong, but reading the SDS for the Testors made me think they are compatible.
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Whelp, I ordered a neck and body. Two months and they should be here. :P

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

If you want a gloss finish you will most certainly need to grain fill. Ash grain varies a lot from piece to piece, but most are pretty porous and need to be filled. I've made several guitars with ash tops and no grain filling, but finished them in a satin finish and they looked fantastic with the grain visible.

It's not difficult to grain fill with the right filler.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
              I could be wrong, but reading the SDS for the Testors made me think they are compatible.
              A "wet" coat of lacquer over enamel will crinkle the finish. If the enamel coat is completely cured you can get away with several "dry" coats of lacquer on top, but you have to be very careful and very patient.

It's much easier to use a less volatile clear coat like poly.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                If you want a gloss finish you will most certainly need to grain fill. Ash grain varies a lot from piece to piece, but most are pretty porous and need to be filled. I've made several guitars with ash tops and no grain filling, but finished them in a satin finish and they looked fantastic with the grain visible.

It's not difficult to grain fill with the right filler.
                So, what do you use as a filler then?

Comment

So, I bought a jazzmaster body with a regular heel. My plan is to evenly reduce the heel thickness by about 1/4 inch to make upper fret access easier. I'd also like to recess the trem plate.

Some work with a small trim router should be able to handle both of these tasks easily, right?

Comment

I'd also imagine there would be either some tutorials about it online, or some other people have done the same mod. I'd poke around a bit before I got out the grinder.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

StewMac has a good grain filler. But you need to apply it in very thin coats and sand between each coat.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        Has anyone painted a guitar with regular rattle can type paint? I've used Rustoleum fluorescent paint before when I was marking pavement for a summer job in univeristy, and it's definately the colour I want.

Also if I'm not getting the body finished I might as well try to shape the heel down into a bit less of an ugly block and then attach the neck without a neck plate. Does anyone know where I can get metal inserts like this:

? Those (along with some short screws) would be perfect for what I want.
                        Here

US $1.80 | 4 Pcs Chrome Electric Bass Guitar Neck Bushing Neck Joint Bushing Ferrule with Mounting Screws
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                          Here

US $1.80 | 4 Pcs Chrome Electric Bass Guitar Neck Bushing Neck Joint Bushing Ferrule with Mounting Screws
                          https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/tHZMpbDI
                          I found some locally that were pretty cheap . . . and got them. But the body I ordered already has pre-drilled holes for a regular plate, and unfortunately I think that the ferrules would be too close to the edge of the neck pocket if I were to widen the holes at the top. So I'll have to go with a neck plate. My current plan is just to shave about 1/4 inch of thickness off the neck pocket area . . . sort of like this:

Which I think will give me exactly what I want.

Then if I get really adventurous, I'm going to try and recess the trem cover.

Comment

If I painted the guitar neon pink, then applied black grain filler over top and sanded it smooth would that give me the two tone grain highlighting that I've seen on a lot of ash guitars recently? Or does it need to be grain fill over a stain? Has anyone done that kind of finish with an ash body?

Comment

Not pink paint...stain, to soak into the soft grain. Lightly sand. Then black, and lightly sand. Then grain filler and finish with sanding between coats.

Comment

Yeah, that's how it's usually done. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a cool effect over paint. Thinking now that the pain is probably going to be too thick to get the effect.

Comment

Working...
                                X