Why tone controls set so low??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why tone controls set so low??

I'd say it's so they can run the amp harder. With Fender amps with no mid control, for instance, you can boost the mids by running the bass and treble very low, and cranking the amp more, giving you boosted mids.
    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
      To be fair, a lot of us first come into live settings playing in bands in high school and similar. Whatever small gigs you may have probably won't feature a sound technician, so Noone had ever requested that you alter your tone which has "always worked live" before (and at home) . Of course, the smart ones know to actually listen to the sound tech.
      Yes, but by the time that you hit 50, you should be able to learn different.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I've never gotten the "666" settings people use on 5150's. To me, the mids above 4 on any iteration of a 5150 I've tried sound like pure honk.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Try explaining that to a guitarist who then says that, with things set like that, that the guitar doesn't sound "full" enough.[emoji21]

I've been trying to explain to bassist, that makes half of our songs, that dialing in guitar heavy on lows to make huge boomm along with the bass in every song does not sound good, and gets really annoying after a while.

He doesn't quite get it, complaining I don't use enough bass and gain...
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
            I've been trying to explain to bassist, that makes half of our songs, that dialing in guitar heavy on lows to make huge boomm along with the bass in every song does not sound good, and gets really annoying after a while.

He doesn't quite get it, complaining I don't use enough bass and gain...
            Pity that we couldn't trade them.

Comment

I think there are a lot of people who are overthinking this. The EQ controls are really just specific volume controls if you look at them in the most basic sense. Given the fact that most players like at least a little bit of overdrive in their sound, and unless they are running a non master volume amp, without anything hitting the preamp, chances are they will have the gain higher than it "needs" to be. Since volume is nothing more than turning all the frequencies up equally, with the gain at the level that most players like there will be an excess of the frequencies you want/need in your sound. Therefor, it's almost always better to cut frequencies as opposed to letting them all through.

An amp with a super sensitive EQ like a Boogie Mark series or a Soldano is just an extreme example of this, and usually amps like those are the ones where you find really conservative EQ curve.

With a Plexi or a Tweed things are wayyyyyyyyyyyy less picky and you can generally get away with diming almost everything and still sound pretty damn good.
              Originally posted by jcthejester13
              Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
                With a Plexi or a Tweed things are wayyyyyyyyyyyy less picky and you can generally get away with diming almost everything and still sound the best.
                Fixed.

Comment

The Magic Six setting on Fenders is real. VERY REAL
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I had an old Carvin X amp and I think that it had active tone controls. Anything above 5 was boost and below 5 was cut.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                      I have been playing Fenders for years and it doesn't work for me I need more bass and less treble. My EQ curve is definitely a downhill slope

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        I have been playing Fenders for years and it doesn't work for me I need more bass and less treble. My EQ curve is definitely a downhill slope
                        It only truly works on the Bassman/Deluxe/Twin style blackface and the first couple of years of Silverface amps....

and the setting is about making the amp come 'Alive" -especially for recording -so EQ tweaks for your tastes are not surprising -but starting from the Magic Six and then altering based on the room/soing is what I do,
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          Give or take, depending on pickups, this is true for my prosonic. Gains, bass, mid and treb. For my triple crown, it's not so good.

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
                            Give or take, depending on pickups, this is true for my prosonic. Gains, bass, mid and treb. For my triple crown, it's not so good.
                            Triple Crown as in Mesa? The Mesa EQ is way different than a Fender.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                              Triple Crown as in Mesa? The Mesa EQ is way different than a Fender.
                              Yes and yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X