Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back of stain guitar neck sticky after playing a lot

Hey guys,

I have an ola englund washburn V guitar that has a satin back neck on it and ever since after a month I got it like a year 1/2 ago, the back of the neck is semi-sticky like in between gloss and satin finish because of my hand moving up and down it a lot. My hand polished the satin finish to like a semi-gloss one so my hand sticks to it now more than I want it to with a satin/matte finish guitar. Is there a way to fix this? I've already tried 0000 steel wool but that didn't work very well. If it brought back the satin a little bit, then playing it for one session it would go back to the semi-gloss again.

Re: Back of stain guitar neck sticky after playing a lot

Sandpaper. Try 800 or 600 and only enough to get it comfy. You don't want to go through finish.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Forget the steel wool (it's evil, anyway) and the sandpaper. Get some Scotchbrite (light gray or maroon is fine). Simply scuff up and down the neck a few times with the stuff until the shiny goes away. VIOLA!
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

This is correct. Fine scotchbrite: Magic!

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Forget the steel wool (it's evil, anyway) and the sandpaper. Get some Scotchbrite (light gray or maroon is fine). Simply scuff up and down the neck a few times with the stuff until the shiny goes away. VIOLA!
          So what's better/different in scotchbrite than in sandpaper?

I've never used it so I'm genuinely interested.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

I've found that 400 grit gives a much nicer satin feel that the higher grit ones . . . but it depends on how thick the finish is I suppose.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

So what's better/different in scotchbrite than in sandpaper? I've never used it so I'm genuinely interested.
              It doesn't leave gouges or heavy marks that will fill up with dirt from your hand. Also, won't remove the finish from the guitar (unless it's already very thin). Proper finishes protect the wood from moisture, and protect it from direct harm.

Comment

It doesn't leave gouges or heavy marks that will fill up with dirt from your hand. Also, won't remove the finish from the guitar (unless it's already very thin). Proper finishes protect the wood from moisture, and protect it from direct harm.
                Neither does smooth sandpaper...

Comment

Sand paper is gonna be harder than the finish on the neck, so it will start taking off finish, not just the residue left behind from your hands. The Scotchbrite pads arent harder than your guitar finish, so it wont take off the finish nearly as easily.
                  1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                  Jackson Soloist 7 string
                  ESP LTD M-400
                  Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                    Sand paper is gonna be harder than the finish on the neck, so it will start taking off finish, not just the residue left behind from your hands. The Scotchbrite pads arent harder than your guitar finish, so it wont take off the finish nearly as easily.
                    If they're not harder than the finish, then how are they going to rough up the finish? Surely they're harder than the finish if they're effective.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Ever seen sandpaper load up? That will scratch the hell out of whatever you are sanding. We are not trying to rough up the neck, as much as polish it a bit.

What we are doing with Scotchbrite is polishing off the finish just enough to reduce the surface tension induced by the moisture in our hands. If you do it long enough, you probably can completely remove the finish from the neck...… But I don't think anyone is dumb to sit there that long.

Comment

Tried Scotchbrite on the back of my Squier VM Jazz V, didn't work. Tried 600 (or 800) grit sandpaper, 3-4 pass, worked like a charm.

Comment

His guitar neck doesn't have crap on it from his hand. It's a satin finish that's gotten polished from playing.

Every satin finished instrument I've ever owned has done this. What I always end up doing is stripping the finish down to bare wood, then applying several coats of tung oil. After that, I use whatever the finest steel wool is to knock off the little bit of gloss, and it'll stay crazy smooth for a very long time.

For whatever reason, I've had great luck using steel wool to get a gloss poly finish nice and smooth until it polishes back up, but the satin ones just get stickier. If it's a neck thru, getting a nice clean line between the finished body and stripped neck is a little tricky, but it's worth the effort. $20 says if you try it on this guitar, you'll wind up doing the same thing to the rest of them.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

The different grades of scotch brite have grits just like sandpaper. I'm a 220s man, but 320s and up will take off very little finish at a time.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Ever seen sandpaper load up? That will scratch the hell out of whatever you are sanding. We are not trying to rough up the neck, as much as polish it a bit.

What we are doing with Scotchbrite is polishing off the finish just enough to reduce the surface tension induced by the moisture in our hands. If you do it long enough, you probably can completely remove the finish from the neck...… But I don't think anyone is dumb to sit there that long.
                              Yep, I've loaded up sandpaper many times.

But I thought the problem was that the neck was polished, and we were trying to rough it up again. My Epiphone Dot has a thick poly finish on the neck. It's ultra smooth, which ended up being really sticky. Years ago I ran over it lightly (you don't want to sand through the finish, just rough it up evenly) with some 400 grit sandpaper to fix the problem. The neck took on a nice satin-y finish and wasn't sticky any more. It has been great ever since. I've tried using both steel wool and scotch bright on other necks . . . I found that they polished back to being really smooth in much less time.

Comment

Working...
                              X