Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup help for reggae

Hi,

I have been creating my first guitar, basically an Ibanez S470 and decided to experiment a little with the pickups. They are HSH and I have a Duncan SH4 for the bridge and I'm trying PRS Santana for the neck, I'm unsure how these will sound or even work together but I'm gonna try it all the same. I still require a single coil for the middle pickup and I'd like to buy another Seymour as then I know if all fails I can just swap out the Santana.

I'd like some advice on what Seymour Duncan single coil for reggae, after searching the internet and really struggling to find anything substantial I have turned to you people. I'd like something clean and bright (I think) any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Pickup help for reggae

Welcome to tha forum!

If you want clean and bright you're gonna want to use either a true single coil or a stack. The benefit to true single coils is they have a more pure sound. The benefit to stacks is they are hum cancelling. The main choices for true single coils would be the SSL2, SSL6, or SSL4. The SSL2 has max brightness and bounce but will be quieter than the hums. The SSL6 and SSL4 will balance volume wise but will be darker. Although I think they sound good and still provide some good jangles in an HSH set up. I'll defer on stack recommendations.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

500k pots?

Comment

You might like the Classic Stack Plus, which can keep up with most humbuckers, and is hum-cancelling itself. It is clean and clear but not thin.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I really like the SSL-52 in the middle. It is a true single coil that is bright without being ice picky and has a neutral eq. It blends well with humbuckers which is helpful if you are considering splitting the humbuckers in the 2 and 4 position.

Comment

Yea, both tone and volume 500k, connected to a COR-TEK 5 way switch.
            Although I'm open suggestions? These are the factory ibanez pots for the guitar, from what I've just read the difference is the amount of high end frequencies they allow to pass? I assume single coils are preferred with 250k because they allow more high end frequencies which may be nice with a bright tone?

Comment

Yes this is the way I will try to wire it split with the 2 and 4 and by itself in the middle. Thanks for advice will check this out on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                Welcome to tha forum!

If you want clean and bright you're gonna want to use either a true single coil or a stack. The benefit to true single coils is they have a more pure sound. The benefit to stacks is they are hum cancelling. The main choices for true single coils would be the SSL2, SSL6, or SSL4. The SSL2 has max brightness and bounce but will be quieter than the hums. The SSL6 and SSL4 will balance volume wise but will be darker. Although I think they sound good and still provide some good jangles in an HSH set up. I'll defer on stack recommendations.
                That's great, just the kind of reply I was looking for. I will have a look at all of these.

One love

Comment

I vote SSL-2 for the middle. No need to get a stack if you're playing reggae . . . that's usually played pretty clean. Hum with singles is mostly an issue when you're using a good amount of gain.

Edit - Forgot you were using 500k pots. That might make things very bright. You might be better off with a darker single like an SSL-6.
                  Last edited by GuitarStv; 11-19-2019, 08:43 PM.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

with 500k pots id look at the ssl6 or the custom stack plus for the middle. the output will keep up with the buckers and with 500k pots, you should still have good high end. a vintage output strat pup, ssl2 for example, is too bright with 500k pots for me

Comment

I might suggest a Lindy Fralin Steel Pole if we are talking about the Bob Marley P90 reggae tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        I might suggest a Lindy Fralin Steel Pole if we are talking about the Bob Marley P90 reggae tone.
                        I have a guitar with the more traditional P90 soapbar style pickups. I'm not trying to match a specific sound just find something that will match the pups I already have in mind. Great advice though ��

Comment

Lets not forget that Bob Marley played a Les Paul. These don't all have to be single coil suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            with 500k pots id look at the ssl6 or the custom stack plus for the middle. the output will keep up with the buckers and with 500k pots, you should still have good high end. a vintage output strat pup, ssl2 for example, is too bright with 500k pots for me
                            I'm leaning towards the SSL-6 as this seems to have been a popular recommendation and I like what I've seen on youtube and seems a good choice from what you guys suggest would work in my setup. It just seems a little different from say the SSL-2 which from what I can tell has a more traditional sound.

The other suggestion I liked was the SSL-52. I'm guessing the way the magnets work in this pickup will give me more tonal options.

Will let you guys know it works out, thanks for all the advice.

Comment

The SSL-6 is more powerful and darker than the SSL-2. But you're using a 500k volume pot with it . . . which will make an SSL-2 sound extremely bright (traditionally they're used with 250k), so I think it's a good choice for you.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X