Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup ideas for Eastman T386?

Hello all!

I'm a bit of a newbie to the pickup world, and could use some advice...

I am primarily a rock player, but have been getting very into Jazz as of late. Earlier this year I set out to buy my second electric guitar with the hope that I could find something good for playing Jazz, but that would still make a suitable backup for playing rock. I wound up with an Eastman T386 (ES335 style guitar) which I LOVE! The feel is excellent- better even than a 335 in my opinion, thanks to the wider, flatter neck profile- and the neck pickup has a warm, smooth tone that sounds wonderful to my ear for Jazz.

But I have a problem! While the neck pickup is great, the bridge pickup leaves a lot to be desired... it sounds far too similar to the neck in my opinion, leaving me with very little versatility and a rock sound that sounds a bit muffled and inarticulate to me. I'm looking for a pickup to replace it with, but I could really use some suggestions! I'd like something that can give me a nice bright, articulate tone to compliment the darker, smoother tone of the neck pickup, but most importantly I'd like something that sounds good on a high gain setting for rock and hard rock. This is something I think the ES335 accomplishes nicely, so I know it's possible in this type of guitar (the construction on these two guitars is extremely similar), I just don't really know where to begin! Can anyone offer me any expertise or suggestions?

Thanks all!

Re: Pickup ideas for Eastman T386?

'59/Custom maybe? Depends on how much gain you want. Jazz bridge would do the bright part, but I'm not sure how it is for gain. It's sort of like a hotter T-Top (though low output). A Pearly Gates bridge also might do what you want, though you might have issues with the neck pickup being louder, depending on what the neck pickup is. Back to hotter pickups, the Custom 5 might be another good choice, though it might have a bit more lower mids than you are looking for. Full Shred bridge, is similar, but less bass and more high end bite.

You might also look at the PATB-1b Original Parallel Axis or PATB-3 Blues Saraceno, but you will need to check measurements carefully as they have wider corners than most pickups, and you probably don't want bodywork to fit the pickups. Also, they are odd looking, but that's what makes them sound fat without losing treble. PATB-3 is like a '59 bridge that's overwound to compete with a Brobucker, without losing the high end. PATB-1b is like a hotter Custom 5. Parallel Axis pickups are insanely sensitive to pick articulation, crazy sustain and harmonics due to the polepieces, which give low string pull due to diffuse magnetic field. They are also odd looking for the same reason, and have squarer corners because the polepieces shape the coil that way.

Comment

The 59/Custom suggestion above is a good one, though I have no trouble playing hard rock on my 335 with Antiquities. I wouldn't rule out more vintage spec pickups, but the 59/Custom would do it better and still be pretty good for lower gain stuff.

Comment

Thank you both for the replies!

Can I get a good, aggressive high gain tone with the 59/Custom? I know it’s hard to gauge what it will sound like in different guitars, through different amps, etc., but in the demo video on the SD website the 59/Custom seems on the darker side, which concerns me a little since I feel like the pickup I have now is already too dark...

I like the sound of the Pearly Gates on the website, but again, it’s being played on a different guitar there, and a solid body at that (an SG I think)... Are there any generalities I can expect about how these pickups might sound different in a semi-hollow thinline like a 335 or my Eastman?

Thanks again, this is all very helpful stuff!

Comment

The 59/Custom in my Les Paul is not dark at all. I swapped in an A4 magnet to tone down the highs a little. And it'll do metal just fine. These days most amps have WAY too much gain available, so almost any quality pickup will work if you EQ it right.

Comment

I have an Eastman T59/v, and it has an Antiquity set in it, which is really awesome. However, since you are playing hard rock, I'd advise against such dynamic, open pickups and go with something more...rocky. I'd also recommend the 59/Custom Hybrid.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Alright, I'm sold! Gonna try the 59/Custom Hybrid, worst case I'll take advantage of the 21 Day return policy

Thanks all for your help!!

One final question... Speaking as a total newbie, I can't seem to determine for sure what the stock pickup covers on the T386 are made of... Since I'm keeping the stock neck pickup on the T386, are the pickups gonna look mismatched if I order the 59/Custom Hybrid with the nickel pickup cover from SD? Should I buy new pickup covers for both?

Comment

Hey all!

Just wanted to say that I finally got the 59/Custom hybrid over the holidays and had it installed... it’s a dream come true! It did absolutely everything I hoped it would for the tone of my Eastman- I couldn’t be happier! just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your help!!

Comment

Wonderful, and welcome to the Eastman club.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                  X