New Marshall amp today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Marshall amp today!

I've been really tone searching a lot lately.
    Bought a boss Katana, bought an Egnater Vengeance, messing with my TSL settings and swapping out valves etc etc. Swapping a lot of pickups, drop tuning to B which is my new favorite....

Anyhow, I sold my Egnater to my other guitarist and he is **** giggles stoked with it! It really does rock.

So I had enough starter cash to give another amp a go.

I was looking really hard at the DSL100, (not the older jcm2k DSL, but the new model with the 50/100w option) and the JCM900 sl-x and put an offer in on reverb for a 900.. it was Denied, so I bought the DSL.

It showed up today. Thing is dead mint, not a scratch on it.
    I plugged in and rocked through some settings for awhile.

I wasn't blown away with the tone, as I was lead to believe, by the numerous vids and opinions on it, reviews and love and admirations for the amp. It rocked, but not as good as my TSL.

So..... I popped the back off, (never been opened up before) pulled the stock Marshall logo ecc83s out and installed a Mullard 12ax7 into V1 and a high gain matched set of EHX 12ax7s in it.

Fired it back up and wow! There it is! These are the same preamp tubes as I am rocking in my TSL atm. I'm calling this setup "my magic formula" now. It sounds sooooo much better, with much more gain and smoothness to the tone, just wow! Now I love it!

Quickly comparing it to the TSL:
    Sizewise, It is wider and deeper than my
    TSL and the logo is smaller on the DSL....
    The DSL is seemingly louder than hell itself! It has a bit meatier mid tone to it and less gain I think.
    It is a bit hissier at full gain than my TSL and not as sparkly in the top end.
    More to come on that later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191119_195240403~2_compress13.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	5853130
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191119_200200564~2_compress73.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	5853131

Yay for new amp days!
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 11-20-2019, 01:39 PM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: New Marshall amp today!

Congrats on the new amp, rock on
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I just grabbed a TSL 60 , so interesting to read the comparison. Everyone seems to have good opinions about the ‘new’ DSLs, glad you’re enjoying it.
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

I put Mullards all across on my JCM2K and love the tone. Congrats on the new find.

Comment

Great news! Nothing like getting that tone outta your
            head and through a speaker. I have a DSL20HR and
            I love it! I think Marshall nailed it with the revised
            DSLs. Rock On!!!

Comment

Looks awesome. Congratulations!

Comment

Congrats...awesome buy

I love the newer DSL..kicks ass & nails every Marshall tone out there imo. Really been gassing for one of them myself. (The little 20 watt one's pretty sweet too..)

I've had to pass them over quite a few times in the recent past. Hopefully one of these days things will come together
                "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Comment

Rebiased, swapped a microphonic tube out, adjusted a few settings, found a great rhythm tone.

Comment

DSL sounds brighter and grittier in most of the channels to my ear; TSL sounds thicker and smoother. Both the TSL channels have a harmonic/vocal character I think is awesome. The DSL still sounds good, but it’s more on the ‘cold’ side.

Maybe I ‘wanted’ the TSL to ‘win’ more since as-mentioned I own one, but think I can honestly say it’s my preference for the licks you played. I’m really curious to hear them un-boosted, but beggars can’t be choosers; excellent demos.
                      Last edited by Silence Kid; 11-22-2019, 08:17 PM.
                      Originally posted by King Buzzo
                      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I have spent a couple hours with my DSL today, working it over and tweaking it to my liking. It is starting to really sound great..... But ya, so far the TSL is still my favorite, it's richer and fuller.

Here's a little track I posted up today.

I think it sounds a touch Mesa recto in this mix.
                        Last edited by 80's_Metal; 11-22-2019, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Can you mail me some seeds of your amplifier tree?

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
                            DSL sounds brighter and grittier in most of the channels to my ear; TSL sounds thicker and smoother. Both the TSL channels have a harmonic/vocal character I think is awesome. The DSL still sounds good, but it’s more on the ‘cold’ side.

Maybe I ‘wanted’ the TSL to ‘win’ more since as-mentioned I own one, but think I can honestly say it’s my preference for the licks you played. I’m really curious to hear them un-boosted, but beggars can’t be choosers; excellent demos.
                            I think you have a great ear for tones, you nailed it as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if I get some time over Thanksgiving break I'll put that unboosted vid together for you. Do you have any desire for specific tunings or pickups?

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
                              Can you mail me some seeds of your amplifier tree?
                              Hahahaha

I was gonna say, you have been on binge lately man. Sorry to hear the SL-X got away. I think you would have dug it.

In order:
                              Mesa Stiletto
                              SL-X
                              JCM 2555 Silver Jubilee
                              Peavey Block 5150

I could rock any of those to tonal heaven...

And yeah - a 50/100 switch is awesome. Sometime you want to kill that extra headroom, and others you want to speak over a 747 with authority...
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X