Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Marshall amp today!

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
    I think you have a great ear for tones, you nailed it as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if I get some time over Thanksgiving break I'll put that unboosted vid together for you. Do you have any desire for specific tunings or pickups?
    You're awesome BTW - I totally do understand why you use the boost, or at least why the TSL needs one to excel with super-tight metal tones; but I think it'd be interesting to hear whether the DSL necessarily needs one as much. I'd be excited to hear how they work clean too
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I think you have a great ear for tones, you nailed it as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if I get some time over Thanksgiving break I'll put that unboosted vid together for you. Do you have any desire for specific tunings or pickups?
      You're awesome BTW - I totally do understand why you use the boost, or at least why the TSL needs one to excel with super-tight metal tones; but I think it'd be interesting to hear whether the DSL necessarily needs one as much. I'd be excited to hear how they work clean too
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Ha ha well thanks!
        I'll be honest, I don't think I have the qualifications to set up any amp with a clean tone ha ha ha... I've just never done that... Seems like every video I watch on an amp review, they start with a clean tone and then work into a bluesy and Rock tone.... And I'm always the guy asking ya... But does it do metal?
        I'd bet there are a hundred clean tone vids on the tube.
        I'll go try to put some regular rock tones together tonight. Wife is away so I can just jam.
        Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Here are a couple unboosted tones.

Comment

Tones at :40 and 2:20 would work for the metal I'm doing....but I see why you need more...
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Is it just me or does 2:35 sound reminiscent/similar to this (Ignore delay and shaky recording technique)

That's a VS100R sitting back there

Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Here are a couple unboosted tones.

Cool - The DSL seems to have both less saturated overall gain, and tighter bottom-end in those clips. Maybe they both benefit from the boost in different ways- the DSL sort of needs it to get into saturation/compression. The TSL already has that richness/thickness, but just tightens up from the boost. As far as clean tones, I guess it’s the same story; TSL is warmer, DSL sparklier/brighter.

Comment

I Agree on all counts.

I did have to turn the tone down on my OD because the DSL was too brittle and nearing microphonic.

I also swapped the original 12ax7s out right away and that helped so very much. It wasn't lifeless before, but it was a huge improvement for sure.

Comment

I have to say, about the only boost that I would put in front of either of them would be a Keeley Katana.

Comment

I always preferred the TSL to the DSL's. They sound more classic Marshall to me. The last DSL I bought was brand new and it caught fire 15 minutes into playing it. I sent it back and grabbed a SC20H. Congratulations on the new amp, you can never have enough heads.

Comment

That's an amazing story repoman.
                        Just curious, was your DSL a JCM 2000, or was it the DSL 100 head?

Comment

It was the newer second generation Vietnam made DSL. Bummed me out but the little 20 watt JCM800 made me feel better about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            I have to say, about the only boost that I would put in front of either of them would be a Keeley Katana.
                            Why do you write this? Curious -as these newer Marshalls have so much damn gain, I wouldn't think most boosts would help the situation.... so I'm guessing the Keely Kantana is mild, has a great EQ, or naturally warm or dark as hell for you to make this comment -which I could see as tolerable if that is the case.

Most of my boosts these days are Xotics and Klone stuff -which would probably tear up some ears with top end with the gain up on 80s metal's rig.

I've only owned Plexi to JCM800s and used plenty of 900s so I'm used to throwing a boost in front of them -in fact, they beg for it. But not familiar with JCM2000s and beyond.
                            Last edited by NegativeEase; 11-29-2019, 08:42 PM.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                              Why do you write this? Curious -as these newer Marshalls have so much damn gain, I wouldn't think most boosts would help the situation.... so I'm guessing the Keely Kantana is mild, has a great EQ, or naturally warm or dark as hell for you to make this comment -which I could see as tolerable if that is the case.
                              You certainly won't see it as tolerable. The Katana is a clean or treble boost, depending on how you set it. And it's LOUD. Potentially. And given how these two Marshalls sound, I can only imagine how hitting the front with a boosted version of your guitar sound, or better, top boosted, would work out. Might actually sound as good as my Metalzone.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                                You certainly won't see it as tolerable. The Katana is a clean or treble boost, depending on how you set it. And it's LOUD. Potentially. And given how these two Marshalls sound, I can only imagine how hitting the front with a boosted version of your guitar sound, or better, top boosted, would work out. Might actually sound as good as my Metalzone.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                                Ha. Fair enough -yeah that's not what I would go for for a stage sound -for studio recording,... anything goes of course ... I'm always looking for big ballzy low mids balanced with more defined mid top and usually roll off a lot above that. Not really into the treble boost thing live as much, although I'm down to hear a good example of what you like in a treble boost into high gain if you can link one
                                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                                X