RFI Picked up by Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RFI Picked up by Amp

Have you tried a different guitar by chance?
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
      Have you tried a different guitar by chance?
      Yes, have tried with several different guitars. However, the RFI happens no matter whether the guitar is plugged in or not.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        So basically balanced cable, tip to tip, sleeve to sleeve and drain to sleeve on one side?
        Basically
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          Basically
          For reference, I replaced my old cables with these Planet Waves American Stage cables. They seem to be high quality, but I'm not sure if they're a culprit in this.
          Last edited by lukemh987; 11-23-2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Does this happen with the effects loop connected by just a (good) cable...no pedals?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Does this happen with the effects loop connected by just a (good) cable...no pedals?
              Yes, it happens when i connect send to return with a single good cable without any pedals in the loop. It also happens with no FX loop engaged, though the RFI isn't quite as loud.

I mentioned my cable brand since, while they seem to be of high quality, they perhaps are not high quality *enough* to prevent the interference.

At this point, I'm not sure if a fix to the amp itself is needed (the tech didn't think so) or if I just need to use some kind of modded cable to divert the RFI, as NegativeEase mentioned.

Comment

So, I am guessing it just acts like an antenna. Does this happen if the amp is in another building?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  So, I am guessing it just acts like an antenna. Does this happen if the amp is in another building?
                  It's been fine in other settings, as when it was with the tech at the shop.

Comment

Have you tried plugging it in to a different outlet in your house? How are you powering your pedals?
                    Jackson Soloist 7 string
                    ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                      Have you tried plugging it in to a different outlet in your house? How are you powering your pedals?
                      Yes, tried it all over the house. I'm powering my pedal board with an Accel FX Power Source.

I'm thinking the problem lies with the amp acting as an antenna though, as suggested earlier in the thread, since this happens when the FX loop isn't engaged and it's just a lead plugged into the amp (doesn't matter if a guitar is connected at the other end of the lead).

Comment

And you have tried the pedals without the Accel, straight from the wall or on batteries?
                        Jackson Soloist 7 string
                        ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Are there any appliances or wi-fi around at home that isn't present in these other places?

Comment

Couple notes for the OP

“Quality” of cables has little to do with whether they defeat or carry RFI or not. Construction of the cable, as hinted by NegativeEase and David, does.

Furman power supplies do not address interference noise. They only protect against spikes and irregularities in the source power.

If the amp does it by itself, I would wonder if you are plugging a three prong cable into a two prong outlet at home without grounding the third plug? If the interference is line-of-sight, does turning or moving the amp change the level of interference? Have you checked the power of your home at the outlets and the house is wired correctly with no issues? (How old is the house?). Just trying to eliminate variables. Is this a townhome sharing power across units? (I’ve had problems where power equipment and appliances running at the neighbors put noise into the line my house.)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                              Couple notes for the OP

If the amp does it by itself, I would wonder if you are plugging a three prong cable into a two prong outlet at home without grounding the third plug? If the interference is line-of-sight, does turning or moving the amp change the level of interference? Have you checked the power of your home at the outlets and the house is wired correctly with no issues? (How old is the house?). Just trying to eliminate variables. Is this a townhome sharing power across units? (I’ve had problems where power equipment and appliances running at the neighbors put noise into the line my house.)
                              Kinda what I was getting at also. Or if his pedal power supply is picking up something.
                              Jackson Soloist 7 string
                              ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                                Couple notes for the OP

“Quality” of cables has little to do with whether they defeat or carry RFI or not. Construction of the cable, as hinted by NegativeEase and David, does.

Furman power supplies do not address interference noise. They only protect against spikes and irregularities in the source power.

The outlets are three-pronged. Moving the amp and plugging it into different outlets hasn't done anything to remedy the problem. I live in an apartment, which was recently renovated but probably dates back to the 70s, so the power definitely is shared across units. I have a small reader that plugs into the power outlets and tells you if there are any problems with the outlet (open ground/open neutral/open hot/correct/hot ground rev/hot neutral rev), and that says the outlet is fine ("Correct").

I appreciate the questions–hopefully my responses get us closer to figuring out how to resolve this problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X