Gibson must be stepping up their game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson must be stepping up their game

I picked up this 2019 Gibson Les Paul Special this week. Its used, lightly used.

I got it home today and did my normal setup routine on it. I was pleasantly surprised to achieve a great, low action and near perfect intonation. The fretwork is perfect...although I believe its plecked.

The neck it a full, beefy 50s carve...it feels awesome. The rosewood board is nice and dark...with some really nice streaking in it.

The pickups sound GREAT. The pots have great taper.

Its a great playing guitar! Wonderful tone to boot!

SP4 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

SP3 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

SP2 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2804 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

SP6 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr
    I'm just a few hundred lessons away from being a great guitar player.......

Re: Gibson must be stepping up their game

Man, that’s nice. I’m not sure I’m down with that pickguard though, kind of looks like an afterthought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's one thing I do love about Gibson. Everything with the Gibson name on it is USA made and reeks of quality.

Even the "low end" Gibsons are superbly crafted instruments. They're still top notch quality they just have stripped down features. They're some of the best guitars for that price point. Simple but effective. Nice guitar man !

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice! I’ve been sort of jonesing for a P90 guitar. This looks like in that would scratch that itch for me very nicely.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words fellas!
          I'm just a few hundred lessons away from being a great guitar player.......

Comment

I’ve played several of the new Gibson’s just about all of them have been good. The only issue I ran into was inconsistent neck sizes on a few. The worst was some of the 50’s goldtops I tried 4 and all of them had different necks. If I found one that felt good I would not hesitate to buy one of the new models.

Comment

I wouldn't call what Gibson has done the last 2 years as "stepping up".

I know they're trying alot of different things none of which has made a dramatic difference IMO.
              Ive own/do own quite a few Gibsons, most really nice. None bought retail.

The dewd they hired from Norms guitars should have stayed at Norms guitars.
              Annoying af.

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                That's one thing I do love about Gibson. Everything with the Gibson name on it is USA made and reeks of quality.

Even the "low end" Gibsons are superbly crafted instruments. They're still top notch quality they just have stripped down features. They're some of the best guitars for that price point. Simple but effective. Nice guitar man !

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
                I bought a 2014 Gibson Les Paul LPJ brand new and it's a very good Les Paul (but I had to shop a bit), doesn't look as good as a Standard but plays as good.

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post

Even the "low end" Gibsons are superbly crafted instruments. They're still top notch quality they just have stripped down features. They're some of the best guitars for that price point
                  This was not the case a few years ago. I’ve worked on brand new Les Pauls that had pretty shoddy workmanship. There were scraper marks on the binding, the fretboard still had chatter marks from the machining. There was blobs of solder on wires, and blemishes in the finish.

It seems that Henry just wanted to push guitars out the door.

Comment

These things really tempt me. I have a walnut lp special and it's totally one of my favs.

Comment

That's a sweet Gibson. I can't help but notice the coolness of the light fixture though.

Comment

whats up with the truss rod cover? bet it sounds great!

Comment

Gibson has been making great stuff. However, for every 100 or 1000 good or great guitars that go out the door that you never hear about, there is always that one guy on the internet that complains on 30 different forums and facebook groups that there was a tiny bit of bleed into the binding or imperfections that have to be blown up 600% to even see in a pic.

Comment

Brentrocks is a troll account set up by Mark Agnesi from 12 years ago....

I kid I kid.... sweet guitar man -only one jigsaw cut away from being my favorite ever -1960 LP TV Special
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yeah I've been really impressed with the 2019 Gibsons

Too bad where they picked up in production, they ****ed up in PR

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
                              Originally posted by Myaccount876
                              Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Working...
                              X