Finally took the plunge...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally took the plunge...

into the modeling world....with the new Mooer GE300.

Not looking for something to replace my amps for gigging and stuff..or even jamming at home ...but I'm hoping this gizmo will make my recording experiences easier & more pleasant with hopefully less cheesy/more professional sounding results

Passed up a bunch of fine deals on some cool amps for this thing..so here's hoping I don't regret it

And a pretty comprehensive demo/review (not mine):

I've had it a couple of days now ..but only got to unpack & check it out for a half hour or so last night. Gotta say I was pleasantly surprised with some of the presets right out of the box ...pretty natural/open etc not artificial sounding & flat/over compressed. They sounded pretty good (Friedman BE100, Plexi & a few of the other Marshall's, the Diezel VH4 was great, Recto tones were sweet ..some of the lead patches kicked ass...very lush reverbs and delays etc). The feel was about what I've come to expect from pretty much all the modelers I've tried (not quite there) but I'm hoping I can either a) tweak the global EQ to make it better (saw a video on doing that) or b) just get used to it...

All I used was the headphone output plugged into a powered speaker..so I'm yet to check out how it records etc..

Had a bit of fun with the synth..that thing sounds massive/LUSH! The Hammond was very realistic/cool..I could get some sweet Jon Lord type stuff going, as were the Cathedral/Orchestra type synth patches...I see huge potential for doomy awesomeness with those & the modern arpeggiated patches were'nt too shabby either..great for prog etc. They all tracked excellently as well!

Have'nt tried any 'Tone Capturing' yet though I look forward to giving that a go sometime if I can figure it out ..with both my amps & my guitars.

All in all, though I've barely scratched the surface with this thing...can't lie ....it looks pretty promising. I'm almost beginning to forget what I passed over for it lol ...almost

I will hopefully get to mess around with it more thoroughly this weekend so I'm looking forward to that. Maybe even try & record something if I can get stuff figured out. That's another thing, basic operation is actually fairly intuitive/easy...I had no problem scrolling through the presets/banks & getting to the editing menu's/navigating around in general, but I do foresee a bit of a (probably problematic ) learning curve from there onwards...
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Re: Finally took the plunge...

That looks cool! Not sure I could convince myself to spend that much on not-an-amp, though!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thanks dude ..it's a cool sounding unit too..no doubt about that ...but yeah, I was pretty torn myself...won't deny it haha.

Guess it boiled down to a choice between what I (thought I) needed & what I wanted...so I stuck my course despite many sweet tubey temptations along the way lol. Now I'm just hoping it was worth it

Apart from everything else I do like variety & checking out unfamiliar stuff ...so now I have big amps, small amps, tube amp's, hybrids, SS amps ....& a modeler ...all different flavours, which is cool

Pretty sure I would'nt have bought it if I were you..seeing how you already have a bunch of synth equipment, an iso cab, mics, rack gear..compressors, FX & w/e (and more importantly..know how to use it all for great recordings ), but yeah....for someone like me I think it made perfect sense getting myself something like this...

Just hoping I can get the hang of it soon and it won't end up like the Boss GT-6 I bought 15+ years ago when those first came out...sitting untouched at the back of my cupboard...
      Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 11-21-2019, 09:00 PM.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

What’s the tone capturing?

You still using that DIY head? That thing ruled
        Last edited by DankStar; 11-21-2019, 10:37 PM.

Comment

What Kemper's do....

It works as well too I think..

Plus you can also capture the tone of a guitar..like capture a Strat's tone & use that with your Les paul etc..

I think you can make your own IR's with your cabs as well..since it has a "cab capture" feature as well..

DIY amp's still going strong & still sounds great ..no problems

Youtube

Comment

Well, now you're down the rabbit hole.
            But you won't regret it.
            Can't you conceivably run it through one of your tube power stages?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

haha..looks like it yeah.

Hope so...

Yeah..I can use it that way with my amp's ..also run a dry signal out for reamping & do a lot of cool stuff like that. The possibilities are actually endless..

My only problem is that Ive not really felt the excitement I feel when I get a new amp. I mean, I did'nt even open it up until a couple of days after I got it. You know normally, with a new head
              ..I'd have had (cheesy) video's up on YT within a day..maybe even an hour lol..

I think I'd have been a lot more enthusiastic if it were a) cheaper b) less fiddly c) felt better (ie more tube like) to play & mostly d) if I had'nt had to pass over what I thought were some killer deals on a bunch of cool amp's for this thing

But regarding "c" I did mess around with it for about an hour or so yesterday...messing with the 'Global EQ' settings and that actually made it FEEL a hell of a lot better under the fingers...very amp like in fact. But eventually I fiddled too much and introduced some annoying (very high end) white noise everywhere (on all patches) so I ended up undoing what I'd done & going back to default settings. There was a point when it was PERFECT though..before I overdid it & messed things up. So that does tell me that I should be able to tweak the 'feel' to my liking after spending more time with it..

The global 'EQ function' seems to have more of an effect on the response of the amp & things like the 'openness', upper harmonic richness etc than it does as an actual 'frontl panel' type EQ....in that the changes are more atmospheric/subtle..and in very fine increments. Makes a huge difference to the way it feels as a result (ie more or less 'open sounding/air".more resonance, attack, tightness, wetness/richness etc..).

Youtube

Comment

Ok, so as with any pursuit, take a breather and then try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                  haha..looks like it yeah.

Hope so...

Yeah..I can use it that way with my amp's ..also run a dry signal out for reamping & do a lot of cool stuff like that. The possibilities are actually endless..

My only problem is that Ive not really felt the excitement I feel when I get a new amp. I mean, I did'nt even open it up until a couple of days after I got it. You know normally, with a new head
                  ..I'd have had (cheesy) video's up on YT within a day..maybe even an hour lol..

I think I'd have been a lot more enthusiastic if it were a) cheaper b) less fiddly c) felt better (ie more tube like) to play & mostly d) if I had'nt had to pass over what I thought were some killer deals on a bunch of cool amp's for this thing

But regarding "c" I did mess around with it for about an hour or so yesterday...messing with the 'Global EQ' settings and that actually made it FEEL a hell of a lot better under the fingers...very amp like in fact. But eventually I fiddled too much and introduced some annoying (very high end) white noise everywhere (on all patches) so I ended up undoing what I'd done & going back to default settings. There was a point when it was PERFECT though..before I overdid it & messed things up. So that does tell me that I should be able to tweak the 'feel' to my liking after spending more time with it..

The global 'EQ function' seems to have more of an effect on the response of the amp & things like the 'openness', upper harmonic richness etc than it does as an actual 'frontl panel' type EQ....in that the changes are more atmospheric/subtle..and in very fine increments. Makes a huge difference to the way it feels as a result (ie more or less 'open sounding/air".more resonance, attack, tightness, wetness/richness etc..).
                  Well, of course, because the front end sound is dependent upon the model settings.

Comment

How is the company support for it? Does it have established user bases like the Helix & Fractal? I hadn't tried one myself, but I am curious.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      Well, of course, because the front end sound is dependent upon the model settings.

yeah absolutely...I was actually pretty shocked at what a big difference it made to the feel without making more than subtle differences to the sound..

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        How is the company support for it? Does it have established user bases like the Helix & Fractal? I hadn't tried one myself, but I am curious.
                        To be honest I don't think Fractal and Line 6 have huge support bases here in India either. It would still entail shipping them oversea's to be fixed/replaced or w/e. But Fractal & Helix def have way larger online user support bases established.

I got mine (GE300) with a 2 year replacement warranty & that would entail me shipping it to the authorized agent I bought it from online (based in another city here in India) & them probably shipping it oversea's to Mooer for fixing/replacement.

There do seem to be ample resources for instruction/help/info etc on you tube...(all the "how to do this/that" type vids) and there are a few patch sharing/online hep type groups that I've come across as well. Plus Mooer does seem to be listening to buyers/users & addressing known issues etc (like adding "trails" for smooth patch switching...dimming the halo lights to show what's you've got selected or something like that so apparently they're addressing issues & doing pretty regular firmware updates etc.. (2 so far I think, and this only came out a couple of months ago..). I think they're pretty serious about taking their tech further...

In fact there's a MOOER GE250 that's apparently scheduled for release in December/January which is basically this unit without the synth engine....should be cheaper probably around the same price as the Hotone Ampero/Helix Stomp..

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                          To be honest I don't think Fractal and Line 6 have huge support bases here in India either. It would still entail shipping them oversea's to be fixed/replaced or w/e. But Fractal & Helix def have way larger online user support bases established.

I got mine (GE300) with a 2 year replacement warranty & that would entail me shipping it to the authorized agent I bought it from online (based in another city here in India) & them probably shipping it oversea's to Mooer for fixing/replacement.

There do seem to be ample resources for instruction/help/info etc on you tube...(all the "how to do this/that" type vids) and there are a few patch sharing/online hep type groups that I've come across as well. Plus Mooer does seem to be listening to buyers/users & addressing known issues etc (like adding "trails" for smooth patch switching...dimming the halo lights to show what's you've got selected or something like that so apparently they're addressing issues & doing pretty regular firmware updates etc.. (2 so far I think, and this only came out a couple of months ago..). I think they're pretty serious about taking their tech further...

In fact there's a MOOER GE250 that's apparently scheduled for release in December/January which is basically this unit without the synth engine....should be cheaper probably around the same price as the Hotone Ampero/Helix Stomp..
                          Great to hear! I look forward to your thoughts as you spend more time with it.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I was waiting for Mooer to release this, seems like it was delayed for a year or more, finally gave up and bought a GT-1000. I have been impressed with their micro preamps, glad to hear this sounds good as well.

At the prices I'm seeing for the Mooer, I only paid $80 more for the Boss. Don't know what kind of deals are available in India though, sounds like Mooer has a good support system there.
                            Last edited by devastone; 11-22-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                              I was waiting for Mooer to release this, seems like it was delayed for a year or more, finally gave up and bought a GT-1000. I have been impressed with their micro preamps, glad to hear this sounds good as well.

At the prices I'm seeing for the Mooer, I only paid $80 more for the Boss. Don't know what kind of deals are available in India though, sounds like Mooer has a good support system there.
                              The Mooer costs exactly what it costs in the US here as well....sadly no sweet deals

Buying from Thomann or Juno in Europe would have been cheaper even with shipping & (pretty high) import costs thrown in (+29% import duty), but I did'nt want the extra hassle/waiting to save myself maybe $50 or so...

From what I've heard of the GT1000 it sounds pretty sweet tone-wise...quite a killer sounding unit. I actually prefer it to what I've heard of the Helix but it was a fair bit more expensive here maybe $100-150 more than the GE300. And I think the GE300 offers a LOT of bang for the buck. I've been pretty pleasantly surprised with the tones from the Mooer which are pretty realistic/sweet. I think it will hang with anything out there ..just a matter of getting to know the unit & being able to tweak it properly. The presets are pretty nice in general ..some better than others, but I did notice that a little tweaking this way or that can make a pretty big difference for the better.

I was messing around with it this morning for a short while and decided to try & record something ..had this backing track up in Reaper ...so I jammed a bit over it with the first three Lead patches I came across (sorry forgot which ones they were ) just to check some recording out... this was with my cheap Ibanez SA260 (Lace Deathbucker bridge..).

I like the fact that the patches are'nt all samey sounding...not just the tone but the texture of the gain & feel as well..it's all pretty different..like playing different amps. They don't sound heavily processed outofthe box either like with some other modelers..

There were a few really cool lead patches further up (an EJ one & something with a bit of chorus) that I'd tried before but I could'nt find them & was in a hurry so...

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X