Finally took the plunge...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally took the plunge...

Just picked this up off Aliexpress for $35.00 + free shipping.. ('cause my place is open/dusty/full of dog/cat hair)..and if I ever decide to take it along to a gig ..I'm set

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mooer_bag.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	5817694
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
      Another clip I just recorded.. Messing around with some rhythm (& a coupe of clean/synth) presets. Just scrolling through stuff and jamming some sloppy (mostly doom) 'riffs' that I half-remember/made up on the spot ...not been doing much playing except for random leads/noodling off late ...in fact not been playing much at all ...just fiddling around with stuff a whole lot ..so..

This is straight from the unit into Reaper. No other processing..

Overall I think the tones are all pretty usable/realistic and there were a lot that I really liked..

Tried the tone capture last night but failed lol. I think I got the "4 cable method' wrong or maybe it was set up for capturing guitar tone not amp tone (which is what I think happened). In any case when I should have had it 'monitoring'..it was 'capturing' stuff. (twice in a row.. two guitars?) so it was'nt the amp that was being captured.. I ****ed up.

Will give that another go when I can..
      This is going to inspire me to start messing around with my Spidervalve again.
      Just a nice sound.

Comment

The thing with modelers is the learning curve. But they keep getting more "intuitive". I don't care that they aren't old school tube amps. If you are willing to learn, you can get fantastic sounds out of them.
        'Course, that's why I love my Spidervalve. Most of the good from the modeler (no capture), through a Bogner designed tube power amp.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, I've played through one of those that was at a venue we played at once. It was pretty far & after checking it out the day before I decided against lugging one of my amps there. Plugged into the Spidervalve for the gig . They do sound pretty sweet & respond/sound like tubes...quite an underrated amp imo. Got nice fat doomy tones out of it all night long

Yes, if you're the anal sort..there's all kind of tweaking you can do with the Mooer ..switching cabs, mic types, positions, angles & all that jive.. I plan not to go there though. This is a relatively intuitive modeler to use unlike my old Boss GT-6. You want an amp sim ..press the "amp" button and turn one knob to go though a whole bunch of amps. Press that same button to select. Then move on to "cab" & do the same..as with your FX1 & 2 buttons, compressor, delay, reverb etc...the basic operation & setting up a sound could'nt be easier..

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Did a couple more tone capture's yesterday. My Bugera 333XL Infy's red channel & my Cicognani Brutus Live (both channels separately). Things were absolutely spot on with the Brutus (first lead channel was like 100% spot on straight away..literally couldn't tell any difference at all when switching between the real amp and the captured tone through the monitors). The other capture's (Brutus Lead 2 channel & Bugera Red) were at least 95% there and I got them even closer with a little EQ tweaking...it's shocking how well it works...blows my mind!

I will do a side by side comparison between the amp & tone capture when I record my Laboga The Beast Classic 30 ..'cause that's the only amp which is close enough to record with my comp without having to use really long cables running across the room from my amp's to my audio interface. Right now I'm just plugging into the Mooer & using a powered speaker to monitor the tones..but I can only save the captured tone (the original amp tone is only switchable through the monitor... so I can't record it unless I'm plugged into my DAW)..

Recorded this with the Bugera's captured tone. Will record something with the two Brutus tone capture's later when I'm able to...

Youtube

Comment

Another little clip with my 30W Cicognani Brutus Live tone capture's (Lead 1 & 2 channels) that I'd saved as presets a couple of days ago..

Just knocking these out when I have the time/incllnation...

EDIT: Updated the video to include tone capture's of both channels (Lead 1 & 2).

Next up... I will try and do a side-by-side comparison between amp & 'tone capture' with my Laboga The Beast Classic head & then when I'm done with that maybe try out the guitar matching. Wonder if I can capture my 7-stringer's tone and use it with one of my regular 6-strings? They're obviously tuned differently....will that make a difference?

Will find out soon
              Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 12-05-2019, 08:48 PM.

Youtube

Comment

Here's one comparing it with my little Zoom G1X Four. Used the captured tone from my 30W Cicognani Brutus for the Mooer GE300's solo & the 'Bogner Lead' preset for the Zoom G1X Four's solo. Both recorded straight into Reaper with my Charvel Traditional Pro..

It's also my first recording using my new amp/monitoring speakers. Beat's the hell out of the ****ty old computer speaker's I was using to monitor stuff before. Everything's super clear & well separated. What a HUGE difference

And I was able to finally use the 'Asio' codec in Reaper for recording. I could only use 'Waveout' before (could'nt hear/monitor what I was playing if I selected Asio) and not only was Waveout lagging quite noticeably (bad latency) but recordings seem to sound a lot clearer/truer to source/less smudged/muddy & just a whole lot better overall now with Asio4all...

Youtube

Comment

not to take away from the mooer, but the zoom sounds killer! love that lead tone. looked it up and couldn't believe the price on that lil' guy.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                    not to take away from the mooer, but the zoom sounds killer! love that lead tone.
                    Wholeheartedly agree

After buying the Zoom a few months ago..I was so impressed I thought I'd buy the bigger Zoom G5n as an upgrade. But when I tried that out at a store what hit me straight away was that it sounded exactly like the little G1X Four I already had at home...like identical tones

According to an article I read somewhere that's 'cause Zoom apparently uses the same DAC's, comparable chip's and other internal's in all their model's, small to big, and have always done that 'cause they buy components in bulk and it drives their costs down. Other company's use ****tier stuff in their smaller/cheaper units to keep costs down, So it's a different approach.

When I first bought the Zoom I was thinking to myself 'this sounds & feels better than the Axe FX II I was just messing around with' lol. Not kidding..

It does'nt have a whole lot of amp sims, presets etc, but what it does have sounds really nice. Having said that there's more detail in the Mooer's tones, I personally feel they're a bit more real sounding..but it's close (especially considering the price difference).

Youtube

Comment

Mistakenly made a tone capture with a whole preset-effects and all as the "source" ("Target" is the actual amp your capturing [ie. my Laboga], "Source" is the reference amp model from the GE300...it basically needs to approximately match your actual amp's gain & output). Then you do the capture and you can switch between your captured tone & your actual amp to compare/monitor the tones. If satisfied ...save it. That's how it works.

I mistakenly loaded a whole preset (with FX etc) instead of just an amp model..but it worked fine anyway. Tone was captured with Fx & all..(but with the Laboga as the amp model in the preset instead of the Plexi amp sim I'd loaded from the Mooer) so I did'nt have to manually add any fx afterwards...interesting

Unfortunely after I got my camera running..I forgot how to match input levels and switched off the cam to save SD card space as I messed about for 20 minutes or so even as my line-out from the Mooer kept recording into Reaper..as a result of which the camera recording & Reaper recording were way out of sync & I only remembered to switch the camera back on after I'd already captured my tone..so it's camera audio with a short line audio clip at the end 'cause I'm not about to search 20+ minutes of audio & try and sync stuff to my camera visuals....especially since I did'nt record the whole process anyway..

So this was kind of a "fail" video.

But I tried to make the best of things by using the camera's audio lol ..so hopefully it will provide a rough idea...until I manage to do one which I get right later

(Skip to 0:45 for tone comparison between captured audio and actual amp)

Youtube

Comment

Congrats on the new device and better recording setup haha!

They don't make Fender-like amps over here, so I will be using modelers for the foreseeable future...
                        I use a Boss GT-1, what are those tweaks you did? Maybe they could be done to mine too, to make it more touch sensitive...
                        Though I already like Blues Driver > Fender Pro Reverb Crunch, but I'm a newbie haha
                        It can always get better right?
                        "Eventually there will be a beautiful statue there, I just have to chip away" -Satriani

Comment

Thanks! I'm still cranking out ****ty recordings though (see my "fail" tone capture above)

I meant I tweak the presets to my taste (ie ...I edit them). Most modelers don't have perfect presets/patches out of the box..or at least they may not be perfect for you, so it's always a good idea to change a few things in a preset and make it sound more to your liking/taste. I'm sure you could do the same thing with your Boss. These modelers have a ton of parameters and settings and sometimes just a tiny change to one setting makes a huge difference to the preset.

The best thing you could do is check out some tutorials on youtube to get a hang of how everything works & try to really familiarize yourself with the unit as much as possible. It's what I've been doing with the Mooer (still got a long way to go ) & then mess around yourself ....just try & use your ears to get to the sound you're looking for. The more you experiment the more likely you are to stumble upon tones that work for you... & if you mess up there's always "factory Reset"

I'm just as big of a newb when it comes to modelers ...so that's what I've been doing

Youtube

Comment

Just did this little comparison video checking out the Tone Capture's of the 3 amp's I've done so far with the Mooer GE300 but I did it using third party IR's (Ownhammer & Celestion). Recorded direct to Reaper with the Mooer's USB recording. No post production or anything..it's just the Mooer. Playing's a bit rough/patchy lol. Guess I'm just fed up of this backing track. Maybe I'll try making a new one with the looper..can't believe I still haven't checked that out.

Anyway..here they are side by side. Really think the Mooer does a great job with these

Youtube

Comment

Oops..forgot this last one (Tone Capture) I did with my Laboga The Beast "Classic 30"...

Spiced up with a bit of robot/falling down stairs tapping for a change
                              Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 12-14-2019, 05:53 AM.

Youtube

Comment

Is that one of the free ownhammer IRs? Is that the full name of the IR (or can you let me know what the full name is if not?). Thx. Sounds great

Comment

Working...
                                X