Finally took the plunge...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally took the plunge...

Yeah those preset lead patches sound pretty good out of the box, differing in tones and all definitely useable. Really liked the sound of Lead 2 the most. I don't know much about the GE300 so I'll be interested in hearing more as you really dive into it.

Comment

Thanks! That was a pretty quick/rough demo. 1/4" mono out from the Mooer into my audio interface (just realized the input level on that was set to "line" instead of "instrument" by mistake, forgot to switch that lol ..probably made a bit of a difference, but it sounded ok all the same). I will do some better clips when I get the hang of things...but totally agree the tones are very usable straight out of the box & they're pretty different from each other as well which is cool.

I'll keep posting stuff as I try it/get more familiar. I just set up the Mooer Studio software for online editing/importing 3rd party IR's etc & also installed the driver for direct USB recording on my comp. No problems..pretty straightforward. Might give some of that stuff a shot next
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Great to hear! I look forward to your thoughts as you spend more time with it.
        Sure... while it seems a fairly easy device to use as far as modelers go ..it's still a good deal more than I'm used to dealing with lol. But I will keep hacking away & posting stuff up as & when I'm able to check things out/get them to work

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Mooer is coming on strong.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
            The Mooer costs exactly what it costs in the US here as well....sadly no sweet deals

Buying from Thomann or Juno in Europe would have been cheaper even with shipping & (pretty high) import costs thrown in (+29% import duty), but I did'nt want the extra hassle/waiting to save myself maybe $50 or so...

From what I've heard of the GT1000 it sounds pretty sweet tone-wise...quite a killer sounding unit. I actually prefer it to what I've heard of the Helix but it was a fair bit more expensive here maybe $100-150 more than the GE300. And I think the GE300 offers a LOT of bang for the buck. I've been pretty pleasantly surprised with the tones from the Mooer which are pretty realistic/sweet. I think it will hang with anything out there ..just a matter of getting to know the unit & being able to tweak it properly. The presets are pretty nice in general ..some better than others, but I did notice that a little tweaking this way or that can make a pretty big difference for the better.

I was messing around with it this morning for a short while and decided to try & record something ..had this backing track up in Reaper ...so I jammed a bit over it with the first three Lead patches I came across (sorry forgot which ones they were ) just to check some recording out... this was with my cheap Ibanez SA260 (Lace Deathbucker bridge..).

I like the fact that the patches are'nt all samey sounding...not just the tone but the texture of the gain & feel as well..it's all pretty different..like playing different amps. They don't sound heavily processed outofthe box either like with some other modelers..

There were a few really cool lead patches further up (an EJ one & something with a bit of chorus) that I'd tried before but I could'nt find them & was in a hurry so...
            We still end up paying ~35% more than what anything is for sale online in USA if buying locally here

This one is pricey. Soundwise its good, did you get it from stompbox.in?

Comment

Yeah..that's the only place that's stocking them here...I bought my Mooer Radar from there as well a while ago..

Europe is the place to buy gear from lol. I think stuff's mostly quite a bit cheaper there ..especially if you're buying from abroad & they waive their VAT charge. Bought both my Laboga heads & my Cicognani Brutus Live there for pretty decent prices...

Yeah. I'm getting happier and happier the more I play it (Mooer GE300) ..actually think it's pretty decent value for the variety of killer tones it produces and all the stuff it can do (and does really well) not to mention excellent build quality and stuff like that. I think the price is high for the fact that it's MIC and a Chinese company...but then they've more than delivered the goods ..no doubt about that.

I was fiddling around a bit more trying to check out how to load my own IR's (could'nt figure that out ) then as an afterthought I thought I'd give the direct USB recording a go..the driver showed up in Reaper & it was all good to go...

Could'nt fgure out how to adjust the input levels which were stuck at a hair below clipping....ie maxed out) & also I was'nt able to monitor anything (hear what I was playing) but it did work... did'nt seem to be any noticeable latency at all either ..at least from the plinky sounds I could hear when I was playing & the way the waveform corresponded to that as it was progressing..

Here's a tiny nonsensical clip with one of the lead patches (could'nt hear a thing I was playing so...)

But yeah..it was clear/no latency issues/no noise or anything..

Any idea's on how I might be able to monitor what I'm playing ?

I tried the Mooer's 1/4 inch outputs into my powered speaker..but nothing...

Might be time to check out the manual
              Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 11-23-2019, 11:10 PM.

Youtube

Comment

I havent tried getting from europe yet, I stopped bothering with small parts cause the parts from aliexpress were cheap & decent enough to not spend more on taxes lol

With USB, select L/R or 1/2 input on the track input source. Select the driver in the main preferences menu as the one for mooer. That will give a fuller sound if you are using stereo effrcts on the 300.

For monitoring you could monitor with headphones from the ge300 itself, the computer audio should be passing through it if its selected as the default audio playback device. Inside the mooer system settings there should be an option to adjust the usb settimgs, will have to check the manual for it. I think they have one in pdf format but its in chinese or something, it can be translated to english somehow lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                  Inside the mooer system settings there should be an option to adjust the usb settimgs, will have to check the manual for it. I think they have one in pdf format but its in chinese or something, it can be translated to english somehow lol
                  Thanks! Yeah..well luckily I found an English manual on their site lol.. & that was what I was missing. .I'd got everything right as far as connection's & Reaper preferences go but there's some setting up to be done with the Mooer's menu that I'd missed. (just plugged it in and hoped for the best haha.). I should be able to get it going the next time I try.. I've already got an interface so it's probably pretty pointless though

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                    I havent tried getting from europe yet, I stopped bothering with small parts cause the parts from aliexpress were cheap & decent enough to not spend more on taxes lol
                    I bought my Randall T2 online from MF in the US about 6 years ago. But shipping was a LOT cheaper back then. Local prices have actually come down quite a bit the last year or two for amps especially & there are sometimes some sweet discounts/deals as well so it makes sense to buy locally if possible. The only problem being choices are often quite limited. Otherwise it's Thomann or Juno...they have great shipping rates..especially Thomann.

ebay and Aliexpress are the best place for parts..yeah. Reverb isn't bad either. And I did get my little 15W Goldea Rex tube head direct from the factory in from China for $150. (Best $150 I've ever spent by far..love that amp )
                    Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 11-24-2019, 01:33 AM.

Youtube

Comment

Yep ..I got the USB recording thing working...jammed a solo over my backing track ..worked well & sounds pretty cool. Had to delete my last crappy demo track 'cause my Soundcloud's full...

Then ..just for a bit of fun I decided to add some synth to it so I jammed a couple tracks with 2 patches "Rock synth" & the other was "Orchestra" I think... it's kinda messy after the start a bit (I was just jamming random **** lol) ...but does'nt sound too bad since I mixed it in pretty low

EDIT: Sorry the second patch was "Synth Chords" (not Orchestra)
                      Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 11-24-2019, 06:16 AM.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                        What Kemper's do....

Plus you can also capture the tone of a guitar..like capture a Strat's tone & use that with your Les paul etc..

I think you can make your own IR's with your cabs as well..since it has a "cab capture" feature as well..
                        Might be worth the price of admission right there. I didn't think any other units did what kemper does.
                        Last edited by DankStar; 11-24-2019, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Yeah totally. From all the vids I've seen it does a really good job with that

I spent a good bit of yesterday just messing around with all the presets & yeah, my regrets have pretty much totally disappeared lol. Really loving a lot of the tones! I mean if you're after the uber-polished Pete Thorn kinda thing ..it's there (in all it's highly processed majesty lol) ..but there's also a bunch of raw thrashy tones, juicy 80's metal (from biting Accept/Painkiller to really organic fat Slough Feg-ish) , warm bluesy stuff, modern djenty **** ..really ..everything.

It's actually shockingly amp-like both to play & feel-wise too and as I mentioned before it does'nt feel like all they did was just re-EQ the same amp 150 times, which is what it felt like with some other modelers I've tried The models have a lot of differences in thickness/gain texture/dynamics & do all feel really different under your fingers.. just like real amps. In short it's a great unit to play around with. A hell of a lot more fun than I anticipated

I will give the tone capture thing a try..I guess it's a bit intimidating right now lol. Plus all my guitar cables are different sizes/brands ..not sure if that makes a difference when using the "4 cable method" which is what I'll need to do to capture my amp's tone. But yeah I will check that out hopefully soon.

I love (!) the synth stuff...it sounds awesome & is a lot of fun to mess with for backing up chords & adding backing melody/atmosphere/dynamics. I was shocked at how touch sensitive & dynamic it was too. Punchy as hell or really subtle depending on how hard you hit your strings ..really fills out the mix too. There's a tiny bit of barely noticeable latency (more in the way it feels than anything) but no where near enough to affect playing. I'm especially keen to try it out in a creepy/DOOM context

Finally there's the 30 min looper. Can't believe I haven't given that a shot yet

I'll have to get onto it

Youtube

Comment

I use amp plugins when I record, or an old Johnson J-Station.

Live I use a Marshall Code100. I get very good tones out of it. At this point I can’t see lugging around heavy tube amps that only get a couple of tones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For some reason I've always had a mental block against plugins, modeler's & just recording on a computer at all. It had to be a standalone recorder (digital or otherwise) and a real amp. But I have to say ..that approach did'nt result in great results 'cause I'm just bad with recording ..have next to no studio gear & mostly, no know-how or ability lol. That's a sad fact that I've come to acknowledge.

Which is what's led me here to where I am ..recording with a modeler & IR's in Reaper on my comp lol.

In the end..'whatever gets the job done' ..that's my motto

Youtube

Comment

Another clip I just recorded.. Messing around with some rhythm (& a coupe of clean/synth) presets. Just scrolling through stuff and jamming some sloppy (mostly doom) 'riffs' that I half-remember/made up on the spot ...not been doing much playing except for random leads/noodling off late ...in fact not been playing much at all ...just fiddling around with stuff a whole lot ..so..

This is straight from the unit into Reaper. No other processing..

Overall I think the tones are all pretty usable/realistic and there were a lot that I really liked..

Tried the tone capture last night but failed lol. I think I got the "4 cable method' wrong or maybe it was set up for capturing guitar tone not amp tone (which is what I think happened). In any case when I should have had it 'monitoring'..it was 'capturing' stuff. (twice in a row.. two guitars?) so it was'nt the amp that was being captured.. I ****ed up.

Will give that another go when I can..

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X