Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally took the plunge...

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    For some reason I've always had a mental block against plugins, modeler's & just recording on a computer at all. It had to be a standalone recorder (digital or otherwise) and a real amp. But I have to say ..that approach did'nt result in great results 'cause I'm just bad with recording ..have next to no studio gear & mostly, no know-how or ability lol. That's a sad fact that I've come to acknowledge.

Which is what's led me here to where I am ..recording with a modeler & IR's in Reaper on my comp lol.

In the end..'whatever gets the job done' ..that's my motto
    That's the sane approach, yeah. At home, I've used nothing but computer-based modelers for the last 16 years or so. Really handy when you're a student living in a small apartment. Finally got sick of it this year and sprung for a Lunchbox tube amp. But I still rely on the modelers for recording. Not having to mic anything up saves a ton of time and money.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Love that tone you are getting around 4:40. I am trying to scale back on buying gear right now. If I wasn't putting so much work into the new house I would be pulling the trigger on one.

Comment

Yeah, there's some nice tones in this box ..I mean the thing has 140 presets or something..don't think I've got past the first 30 if that

I think provided I can get the hang of it it's actually really GREAT value for money.. Don't regret getting it at all now that I've spent a bit of time with it. I could think of a lot worse ways to spend my money.... but yeah, houses do come first lol.
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

You havent taken the plunge on creating a patch from scratch yet, lots of digging to do in there, should keep you occupied for days to weeks to months lol

But really instead of the factory presets, try searchimg online for some free user patches, you might find some keeper ones that won't require much effort on your side. I can't link to any now but I'm there must be a few great ones out there.

Comment

Haha..yeah, I haven't really done much of anything yet, barely scraped the surface. I'm averaging about 20 mins to a half hour a day (sometime twice a day) with it and that's spent just fooling around with presets & jamming random ****

I did get to play quite a bit last Sunday & that was fun, but just haven't had the opportunity to get too deeply into anything yet. I'm sure there will be a bunch of user presets around soon, if not already. I'll check those out for sure...try and get some pointers/tweak them a bit and take it from there. but for now I just want to familiarise myself a bit more with basic controls. navigation & functions. Otherwise it's areal PIA trying to get from A to B for anything.

I gave the tone capture another try. This time I did capture the amp. But it was barely audible & clean (?). Then I saw someone mention in a video that you need to use a comparable amp as the 'source' to capture your "target' (ie your own amp) amp's tone with

(ie the corresponding amp model in the Mooer or something with similar levels of gain needs to be set as the "source" & I need to set the volume/gain levels on both, "source" & "target" to sort of match too..which I did'nt do) I also used the default amp (did'nt change it) which was a clean setting for a Blackface or something..so I turned my Laboga The Beast into a clean Fender that was barely audible ie..it's trickier than I thought although the manual does mention it (although not super clearly)

Will keep trying though..

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
              For some reason I've always had a mental block against plugins, modeler's & just recording on a computer at all. It had to be a standalone recorder (digital or otherwise) and a real amp. But I have to say ..that approach did'nt result in great results 'cause I'm just bad with recording ..have next to no studio gear & mostly, no know-how or ability lol. That's a sad fact that I've come to acknowledge.

Which is what's led me here to where I am ..recording with a modeler & IR's in Reaper on my comp lol.

In the end..'whatever gets the job done' ..that's my motto
              I started out recording at home bouncing between two cassette recorders. This was probably around 1970. In the 80s I got a Tascam PortaStudio 4 track cassette deck.

After that I made the jump to recording on my Macintosh using DECK II software. That was the software that had become ProTools. This was around 1995. Around 1997 I started using Cubase. These days I use Logic Pro X.

But none of those had amp plugins (except more recent versions of Logic and Cubase). So I just plugged my distortion pedals into whatever I was recording in. [emoji16]

I haven’t recorded with an amp since around 1988. The great part about using plugins is you haven’t “printed” that tone, and can go back and switch to a totally different amp setup. It’s like virtual reamping.

Here’s an example of what you can do totally “in the box.”

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                I haven’t recorded with an amp since around 1988. The great part about using plugins is you haven’t “printed” that tone, and can go back and switch to a totally different amp setup. It’s like virtual reamping.

That's what I do. The hard part is getting the sound engineer to put away his bong long enough to actually pay attention to your preferences regarding which sim and sound to actually use.
                --------------------------------------------------------
                1973 Aria 551
                1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Finally took the plunge...

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                  That's what I do. The hard part is getting the sound engineer to put away his bong long enough to actually pay attention to your preferences regarding which sim and sound to actually use.
                  Back in the 80s I was recording in a studio with my band. Some of the guitar tracks used an amp, mostly on the chorus, but the main guitar riff was recorded direct. I plugged into a homemade distortion pedal, my version of Craig Anderton’s Tube Sound Fuzz, and told the engineer to run me through a pitch shifter detuned +/- 12 cents panned in stereo. This was how I did my demo at home. He argued that it was going to sound terrible! But I insisted. After he heard the guitar tone he liked it. Lol.

People get stuck doing what they know because it’s safe and it works. Like back in the 70s when studios would only record with Fender P basses. They had that tone dialed in.

But I’ve always liked experimenting with sounds.

Here’s that track. The guitar was also one I built with a clear lucite body!

Comment

I started out recording at home bouncing between two cassette recorders. This was probably around 1970. In the 80s I got a Tascam PortaStudio 4 track cassette deck.

After that I made the jump to recording on my Macintosh using DECK II software. That was the software that had become ProTools. This was around 1995. Around 1997 I started using Cubase. These days I use Logic Pro X.

But none of those had amp plugins (except more recent versions of Logic and Cubase). So I just plugged my distortion pedals into whatever I was recording in. [emoji16]

Here’s an example of what you can do totally “in the box.”

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Yeah..same here I first gave recoding a go in the early 90's with a 4 track (cassette tape) recorder & we (my doom band) recorded a demo with that. Yes...The sound was atrocious..lol.

Then later around 2000 or so I got a Zoom MRS1044 digital recorder...sadly no massively different results

Things have'nt really got a whole lot better since . I just don't seem to have the aptitude for recording..

Always been very comfortable gigging with my amp's that's never been a problem & I don't see myself changing that anytime soon. But as far as recording goes. I think modelers are the future & I think it's actually pretty cool that folks like you were giving that (direct to board) approach back in the 70's & 80's
                    Nice tune you posted up too..I thought the recording/tones were very professional/great!

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                      lol... but yeah, if it's done well you can't tell a sim from an amp in a mix..

Youtube

Comment

Back in the 80s I was recording in a studio with my band. Some of the guitar tracks used an amp, mostly on the chorus, but the main guitar riff was recorded direct. I plugged into a homemade distortion pedal, my version of Craig Anderton’s Tube Sound Fuzz, and told the engineer to run me through a pitch shifter detuned +/- 12 cents panned in stereo. This was how I did my demo at home. He argued that it was going to sound terrible! But I insisted. After he heard the guitar tone he liked it. Lol.

People get stuck doing what they know because it’s safe and it works. Like back in the 70s when studios would only record with Fender P basses. They had that tone dialed in.

But I’ve always liked experimenting with sounds.

Here’s that track. The guitar was also one I built with a clear lucite body!

Cool track!

Youtube

Comment

Well..I finally made my first preset (from scratch!)

"Tone Captured" my Laboga The Beast 30 Plus 30 Watt head to use as the amp. It was a pretty straightforward/painless process thankfully ..& the results were pretty excellent. My "captured" tone had a bit less gain than the actual amp..just a tad less (maybe I did'nt quite match the levels) but the EQ/gain texture etc was spot on..fat, meaty and open sounding like the real amp ..added a bit of delay to wet the tone slightly & put a drive in front..tweaked to taste ..then saved it as a patch.

Here's a bit more sloppy noodling..just the patch first..then the same thing in a mix & finally with a bit of reverb/comp/drive ..tweaked for a lead tone..

Youtube

Comment

Seperate news...looks like they're already selling the new Mooer GE250 on Aliexpress (& it's quite a bit cheaper than the Hotone Ampero/Helix Stomp/GE300 too..)

Click image for larger version

Name:	MooerGE250_Aliexpress.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	5817678

Name:	Ge_250_a.jpg
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	5817679

Name:	Ge_250_b.jpg
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	5817680

No description of the features but as far as I know there's no synth Engine/less amp/cab models/FX/Footswitches etc.. but I think it's similar to the GE300 otherwise (tone capture etc)..
                            Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 11-29-2019, 04:29 AM.

Youtube

Comment

Can you export & share the tones captured on any of these thingies? I’m more interested in being able to load amps I don’t have.
                              Last edited by DankStar; 11-29-2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Yeah..pretty sure you can.... I remember reading that somewhere.

I know you can import/export presets. I imported this guy's preset to check out /mess around with from the link that he shared in the video description. Sounds pretty sweet..But it's just a tweaked amp sim preset not a tone capture. Still. I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing with a tone capture that you saved as a preset

I think as more people buy them there will hopefully be more user groups and sharing platforms for swapping 'tone captures' of amps you don't have.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X