Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Attenuators & power soaks.. gain without the pain

  1. #41
    Mojo's Minions Ascension's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham Alabama
    Age
    61
    Posts
    5,304

    Default Re: Attenuators & power soaks.. gain without the pain

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    Funny thing with 15 watters is they're not enough to work in a band setting (well, aside probably said AC15 I've heard), but they're still too loud for home use.

    I prefer good master volume.
    You have never heard a PRS MT 15 cranked then. Will knock your socks off I swear it will stand toe to toe with both my Carvin X 50 and my boogie DC 5 on a 4/12!
    Check this clip out of one on a big stage and these tones!!
    https://www.facebook.com/tim.torrens...8194251730579/
    My problem is that mine is so freakin loud it's hard to find a place to really play it!!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

  2. #42
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Jacew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Attenuators & power soaks.. gain without the pain

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    You have never heard a PRS MT 15 cranked then. Will knock your socks off I swear it will stand toe to toe with both my Carvin X 50 and my boogie DC 5 on a 4/12!
    Check this clip out of one on a big stage and these tones!!
    https://www.facebook.com/tim.torrens...8194251730579/
    My problem is that mine is so freakin loud it's hard to find a place to really play it!!
    Good to know! I suppose 6L6 power section has something to do with it?

    There's quite many factors to it and acoustics matter too. I think TT might have been loud enough with 4x12 or something instead of 1x12 directed at feet.

    Egnater Rebel 20 I have know also is ridiculously loud to be 20 watter. But that also has advance of having 4 power amp tubes.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

  3. #43
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Jacew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Attenuators & power soaks.. gain without the pain

    Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    That depends, doesn't it? I had a 15 watt orange that sorta worked in a band setting but wasn't great. But if everyone uses something similar and you mic up all the cabs, it would've probably been fine.

    But I see what you mean. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say the slightly higher wattage (as opposed to say 5 watts or so) is due to headroom more than anything else.

    That being said, that Orange had a step-down switch to 7 watts and I ended up never using it because the whole amp sounded noticably better in 15 watt mode.
    I actually modded my Orange to improve 7 watt mode in it. It sounds bad because it has side effect of cutting the bias of power amp way too cold causing fizziness.

    It did work, but I needed fx loop so I sold it soon after
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

  4. #44
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Coma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,528

    Default Re: Attenuators & power soaks.. gain without the pain

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    I actually modded my Orange to improve 7 watt mode in it. It sounds bad because it has side effect of cutting the bias of power amp way too cold causing fizziness.

    It did work, but I needed fx loop so I sold it soon after
    That's cool. What did you do to it?

    Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

  5. #45
    Member EC Strat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Attenuators & power soaks.. gain without the pain

    I use a Weber mass attenuator 50w for my PRRI and a high efficiency eminence speaker. It works great - the unit adds back the treble I have the amp set at 6 and the Weber at 1-2 bedroom volumes and it sounds really good.

  6. #46
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Jacew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Attenuators & power soaks.. gain without the pain

    Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    That's cool. What did you do to it?

    Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
    https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ny-Terror-bias

    Basically I just switched the cathode bias resistor for a different value. And changed the 7w/15w switch to DPDT, so it adds second resistor in circuit to adjust for correct bias.

    TT uses one resistor for both modes so 15w runs hot and 7w cold.
    Last edited by Jacew; 12-09-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

  7. #47
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Coma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,528

    Default Re: Attenuators & power soaks.. gain without the pain

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ny-Terror-bias

    Basically I just switched the cathode bias resistor for a different value. And changed the 7w/15w switch to DPDT, so it adds second resistor in circuit to adjust for correct bias.

    TT uses one resistor for both modes so 15w runs hot and 7w cold.

    I had no idea. What an odd thing to cheap out on.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

  8. #48
    Mojo's Minions Ayrton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Age
    49
    Posts
    9,503

    Default Re: Attenuators & power soaks.. gain without the pain

    I was never happy with the sound I got using the THD Hot Plate, so I had Dave Friedman install an MV.

    These days you have some great options in both attenuation, smaller watt amps, and modelers.
    -Chris


    Quote Originally Posted by John Suhr View Post
    Practice cures most tone issues

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •