Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attenuators & power soaks.. gain without the pain

Originally posted by LLL View Post
    Power attenuators are only good at very low attenuation settings. Any more attenuation, the tone becomes compressed crap.

Sadly, for most, even low attenuation is too loud. Also, power attenuators are not an advanced rig concept; they're actually basic.

The best solution, by far, for pure cranked amp tone, at any volume, without:

- attenuator mush
    - thin cranked preamp / low master volume setting tone
    - distortion box into quiet amp for more gain buzzy bee tone
    etc...

is slaving. This is an advanced rig concept.

That means loading down your amp with a dummy load, tapping the signal off the amp... and from there, re-amping it.
    slaving can be great but thats waaay too much crap for me to bring to a gig

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      slaving can be great but thats waaay too much crap for me to bring to a gig
      Freyette Power Station is the load + reamp in one convenient box.

Comment

i dont even like bringing the attenuator ive pared down my rig so its a one trip carry 95% of the time. if i have to haul pa or something like that and am already going to make ten trips, whats one more, but that doesnt happen very often.

Comment

There’s also the “attenuating” speakers from Eminence. I’m very happy with my Maverick.

Comment

i have a maverick too, the attenuation part is very good. its a good sounding speaker but i wish there were other options besides one american and one british version.

Comment

I agree. But at least you have one of each

Comment

yep! unfortunately, the maverick got pulled for a better sounding speaker without the attenuator option. ill put it in another amp, just not the one that it was in. got replaced by a g12h-30 55hz by the way

Comment

I run a Weber Mass 100 on my Metaltronix and it’s a prt of my sound, now. I can’t get what I want without it.

Comment

I use that Eminence speaker with the attenuator knob on it with my supersonic 22. Does take off a little top end and dynamics at full attenuation but it's an articulate speaker to begin with so it ends up sounding really good though most of the dial
                    They stopped making them I guess.
                    I've used it in 40w Marshall and was not enough to bring it down to apartment levels but did sound good.

I do sometimes want to replace the reignmaker speaker though because while it does what it's supposed to, I think there are many speakers that have overall better tone and more character

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANFiuuY55Wk heres a good video of the different kinds and comparing them
                      sigpic
                      Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                      Dunlop Crybaby
                      MXR Custom Comp
                      GFS Twin Overdrive
                      Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                      Blackstar HT-DISTX
                      Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        I think that the better choice is a good small watt amp.
                        Especially since they often cost less too lol..
                        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I've been running my Picovalve through my 2x12 at 5 watts with the master volume on 4-5 for the last few weeks. Plenty of volume and tone for practice. Or recording.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Can you put a volume pedal or something in the effects loop
                            And lower the volume that way?

Instead of a power soak or attenuation
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

I would think the power section has a lot to do with the overall tone of the amp. So you'd just want to turn the volume down on the way to the speaker. However, there are *always* tradeoffs when you do this.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

Only if you want a lot of hiss and hum. Driving the power amp hard to reproduce a weak preamp signal sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X