• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attenuators & power soaks.. gain without the pain

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
    Can you put a volume pedal or something in the effects loop
    And lower the volume that way?

Instead of a power soak or attenuation

I've done that with an EQ with a volume slider in order to get more usable range out of the amp's volume knob. The problem is it doesn't actually attenuate the signal, so the inherent (tone) problems you run into when trying to run a tube amp at very low volume are going to persist.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
      I use that Eminence speaker with the attenuator knob on it with my supersonic 22. Does take off a little top end and dynamics at full attenuation but it's an articulate speaker to begin with so it ends up sounding really good though most of the dial
      They stopped making them I guess.
      I've used it in 40w Marshall and was not enough to bring it down to apartment levels but did sound good.

I do sometimes want to replace the reignmaker speaker though because while it does what it's supposed to, I think there are many speakers that have overall better tone and more character
      They still make them. The eminence maverick and reignmaker.

I also got one and ended up stacking it with a homemade attenuator. The speaker alone takes off about 2/3 of the volume without appreciably changing the sound (speaking purely subjectively on both).

I think it's a great idea (technically) that fails to actually solve a problem, which is why they're not more popular. Dropping the speaker efficiency doesn't come close to an actual attenuator. It might help if you're looking to dial in stage volume while staying in the sweet spot on the amp.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

thats exactly what i used my maverick for. set the amp volume where i want it and adjust the speaker efficiency to get the stage volume i want and it worked great for that. i think they do what they do very well and the 8 db range of efficiency is useful. is it the same as being able to drop down to bedroom volume with an attenuator, no but it sounds like crap when you do that. there is a company fluxtone (i think that eminence licenses their tech for the maverick and reignmaker) and their speakers have a much wider range but its expensive and looks clunky to install

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
          How small are we talking? Even at 10 watts a tube amp designed for distortion will most likely be too loud to play if you have neighbours. Unless you just love that fizzy tone you get when it's set too low.
          Marshall have a few 1 and 5 watters, but most lunchboxes seem to land around 15.
          Funny thing with 15 watters is they're not enough to work in a band setting (well, aside probably said AC15 I've heard), but they're still too loud for home use.

I prefer good master volume.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
            Funny thing with 15 watters is they're not enough to work in a band setting (well, aside probably said AC15 I've heard), but they're still too loud for home use.

That depends, doesn't it? I had a 15 watt orange that sorta worked in a band setting but wasn't great. But if everyone uses something similar and you mic up all the cabs, it would've probably been fine.

But I see what you mean. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say the slightly higher wattage (as opposed to say 5 watts or so) is due to headroom more than anything else.

That being said, that Orange had a step-down switch to 7 watts and I ended up never using it because the whole amp sounded noticably better in 15 watt mode.
            1973 Aria 551
            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

My Bugera G5 has a an attenuation switch on back
              .01 watt , 1 watt, & 5 watt
              It comes alive on five watt

Not so much one the lower settings
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

put a good loud speaker in a 15w amp and it will hang with a drummer fine. hell, a blues jr with a cannabis rex is pretty loud

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  put a good loud speaker in a 15w amp and it will hang with a drummer fine. hell, a blues jr with a cannabis rex is pretty loud
                  That depends on the drummer.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

true, and how clean you need to be at that volume. there isnt a ton of difference between a 15w amp and 30w amp but the amount of clean volume you get from the 30w seems significant

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      That depends on the drummer.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                      Yep.

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      true, and how clean you need to be at that volume. there isnt a ton of difference between a 15w amp and 30w amp but the amount of clean volume you get from the 30w seems significant
                      I had Orange TT earlier pushing G12H30, (100 db eff.). No need for cleans, but I had a lot of trouble keeping the feedback in check because I had to run the amp wide open to keep up with drummer and bassist.

My current Rebel 20 is just enough.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

You have never heard a PRS MT 15 cranked then. Will knock your socks off I swear it will stand toe to toe with both my Carvin X 50 and my boogie DC 5 on a 4/12!
                        Check this clip out of one on a big stage and these tones!!

My problem is that mine is so freakin loud it's hard to find a place to really play it!!
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                          You have never heard a PRS MT 15 cranked then. Will knock your socks off I swear it will stand toe to toe with both my Carvin X 50 and my boogie DC 5 on a 4/12!
                          Check this clip out of one on a big stage and these tones!!

My problem is that mine is so freakin loud it's hard to find a place to really play it!!
                          Good to know! I suppose 6L6 power section has something to do with it?

There's quite many factors to it and acoustics matter too. I think TT might have been loud enough with 4x12 or something instead of 1x12 directed at feet.

Egnater Rebel 20 I have know also is ridiculously loud to be 20 watter. But that also has advance of having 4 power amp tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                            That depends, doesn't it? I had a 15 watt orange that sorta worked in a band setting but wasn't great. But if everyone uses something similar and you mic up all the cabs, it would've probably been fine.

But I see what you mean. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say the slightly higher wattage (as opposed to say 5 watts or so) is due to headroom more than anything else.

That being said, that Orange had a step-down switch to 7 watts and I ended up never using it because the whole amp sounded noticably better in 15 watt mode.
                            I actually modded my Orange to improve 7 watt mode in it. It sounds bad because it has side effect of cutting the bias of power amp way too cold causing fizziness.

It did work, but I needed fx loop so I sold it soon after

Comment

I actually modded my Orange to improve 7 watt mode in it. It sounds bad because it has side effect of cutting the bias of power amp way too cold causing fizziness.

It did work, but I needed fx loop so I sold it soon after
                              That's cool. What did you do to it?

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
                              1973 Aria 551
                              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

I use a Weber mass attenuator 50w for my PRRI and a high efficiency eminence speaker. It works great - the unit adds back the treble I have the amp set at 6 and the Weber at 1-2 bedroom volumes and it sounds really good.

Comment

Working...
                                X