banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaving the heel and lower cut of a Standard Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaving the heel and lower cut of a Standard Strat?

I want to know if you have ever tried modding a Strat with regular heel and lower cut so you shave out some wood for better access to upper frets?

For example, think of trying to get the lower cut more like a PRS or a Chapman for example.

And for the heel thin of of it as keeping the squared shape but just making it thinner in the lower corner, the one that keeps your hand from going further down the neck.

I think it should be safe and the neck joint should not break as all those other guitars have that shape, however it is done while in the factory and have never heard if it is safe to do it as a "mod" with a luthier. Any experiences?

By the way, I think Fender really should offer this option without going crazy with an "ultra" price.
    Who took my guitar?

Re: Shaving the heel and lower cut of a Standard Strat?

Haven't done it, but I've certainly thought of it.

Structurally, you should be fine to take at least 1/4 inch off the block. There are plenty of guitars with much thinner neck heels that have no issue with stability or breakage.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
      I want to know if you have ever tried modding a Strat with regular heel and lower cut so you shave out some wood for better access to upper frets?

For example, think of trying to get the lower cut more like a PRS or a Chapman for example.

And for the heel thin of of it as keeping the squared shape but just making it thinner in the lower corner, the one that keeps your hand from going further down the neck.

I think it should be safe and the neck joint should not break as all those other guitars have that shape, however it is done while in the factory and have never heard if it is safe to do it as a "mod" with a luthier. Any experiences?

By the way, I think Fender really should offer this option without going crazy with an "ultra" price.
      First, you can get the neck plate from an Elite. Contour the heel to match. Then, you could “shave” the heel putting it at an angle to thin the body out, just use the appropriate screw length.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

You have plenty of options, more if the body isn't already finished and/or drilled for mounting holes. You can reshape it, knock down a corner, whatever.

You have to think about your mounting method, though. If you're willing to use body ferrules, like Ibanez or Chapman, for example, then you have more options with the overall shape and contouring.

If the body already has mounting holes, you can either fill and re-drill, cut the lower corner deep enough that you get rid of the offending mounting hole and drill elsewhere, or, if you plan to use a mounting plate, attempt to create an angle across the entire neck plate mounting surface like Warmoth does:

Comment

I think people DIY'd that mod for years before it became common on Fenders or other brands. I'd be afraid of weakening the neck joint, or the plate not fitting/working right, so I'd let someone else do that work on a valued guitar.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I think people DIY'd that mod for years before it became common on Fenders or other brands. I'd be afraid of weakening the neck joint, or the plate not fitting/working right, so I'd let someone else do that work on a valued guitar.
            Compared to all the other brands with "easy access" heels, stock strats have a ton of wood, it should be fine to take 1/4" or so off, especially if you are beveling it like in masta'c's Warmoth pic above. But yes, for a clean job it would be best left to a pro with the right tools.

The important thing to remember is if you make the heel thinner, you'll need to get shorter screws, maybe mixed lengths, the stock length screws will go through the fretboard.

Comment

Or, take a look at Warmoth's bodies with this option.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                First, you can get the neck plate from an Elite. Contour the heel to match. Then, you could “shave” the heel putting it at an angle to thin the body out, just use the appropriate screw length.
                You don't need a neck plate at all, countersink some holes for washers and put the screws overtop . . . which will save you more unnecessary thickness too. My Godin has this heel:

And it's solid as a rock.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It is an existing 2008 MIM Strat, I don't mind having some exposed wood "after shave", if it worked for Vai's green meanie it works for me. It may become a real Frankenstrat.
                  Who took my guitar?

Comment

I really like the heel on my George Lynch Washburn prototype. It's very similar to the Chapman heel, but the Chapman is full-thickness, where the Washburn sort of combines the Chapman heel shape with the Warmoth angle/scoop:

Comment

I also want to point out in the pic above how thin the heel tapers and the fact that the ferrules are further inset. Heel thickness is way overrated. As long as it's thick enough toward the body side, you won't have any issues. That said, the ferrules on this Washburn are not as tall as the Ibanez ones.

Comment

Actually I was think something less intrussive like this. I guess I can reuse the existing screw and plate, shave the corner of the heel, cut the corner of the plate and make a new hole. No need to buy anything else I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FADSS-3SB-MPL_heel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	5817621
                        Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          You don't need a neck plate at all, countersink some holes for washers and put the screws overtop . . . which will save you more unnecessary thickness too. My Godin has this heel:

And it's solid as a rock.
                          A left handed Godin Exit 22?

Comment

Ok, I am adding this video I found just for documentation purposes, I am definitely gonna show this thread to the luthier

Who took my guitar?

Comment

My LTD ST-213 has a coutour heel with a neck plate. Look at some picture on the internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X