banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaving the heel and lower cut of a Standard Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shaving the heel and lower cut of a Standard Strat?

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
    A left handed Godin Exit 22?
    Mine's righty, but yeah . . . Godin made lefties too.

The heel joint on that guitar is the best I've played for upper fret access. If I could get that heel joint and on a body without a lower horn with my Charvel neck I'd be really happy.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It's really easy to do if you don't care how it looks. It'd take about 30 or 45 minutes, I guess. Hand plane or handheld belt sander, sandpaper and block, drill press, circular saw with metal cutting blade, file. Even less time if you can buy the shaved neck plate instead of cutting it down yourself.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I filed the corner off the heel of my old Peavey Strat copy. The “bulk” of the joint disappeared. I’d try that first. Anymore, regular Fender heels don’t bother me, though.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
          regular Fender heels don’t bother me, though.
          This
          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Metalchurch did. It looked like it worked.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              Mine's righty, but yeah . . . Godin made lefties too.

The heel joint on that guitar is the best I've played for upper fret access. If I could get that heel joint and on a body without a lower horn with my Charvel neck I'd be really happy.
              Definitely lefty on the pic, but yeah I also love the heel of my Godin Exit 22, maybe also because of the 24.75" scale length. Should have bought that Godin years ago it would have saved me a lot of money finding my #1. Will probably shop for a 2nd one.

Comment

Definitely lefty on the pic, but yeah I also love the heel of my Godin Exit 22, maybe also because of the 24.75" scale length. Should have bought that Godin years ago it would have saved me a lot of money finding my #1. Will probably shop for a 2nd one.
                You want mine? I'm moving away from hard tail and short scale guitars. Maple/maple board, stock pickups. Was planning on listing on craigslist soon.

Oh, where do you live?

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Had to do some digging, but I did this.

Can't say it is a large change over the normal heel, but not sorry I tried it.
                  -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                  “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

You want mine? I'm moving away from hard tail and short scale guitars. Maple/maple board, stock pickups. Was planning on listing on craigslist soon.

Oh, where do you live?
                    Living in Montreal, Canada

Comment

Might be interested but I have first to solve my MIM Fender Strat and my LTD ST-213 (strat copy). I'm waiting for a set of Rose Robusta/Butt Beauty for my MIM Strat and I have to install my STK-S4n/STK-S7b in the LTD. If it's working I'm done with guitars for the rest of my life as I will have all my bases covered. If not I will get ride of those 2 Strats, buy your Godin Exit 22, put my STK-S4n and my Screamin Demon in the bridge (or a better humbucker pickup for that guitar), and be done with guitars for the rest of my life.

Comment

Might be interested but I have first to solve my MIM Fender Strat and my LTD ST-213 (strat copy). I'm waiting for a set of Rose Robusta/Butt Beauty for my MIM Strat and I have to install my STK-S4n/STK-S7b in the LTD. If it's working I'm done with guitars for the rest of my life as I will have all my bases covered. If not I will get ride of those 2 Strats, buy your Godin Exit 22, put my STK-S4n and my Screamin Demon in the bridge (or a better humbucker pickup for that guitar), and be done with guitars for the rest of my life.
                        No worries, hit me up if you're interested at some point in the future.

Comment

Just adding a link another forum on the same subject

OK, I don't consider myself particularly handy, but I decided to go for it. I believe contoured heels are superior and all guitars should have them. I'm starting with my cheapest Fender, a modern payer thinline deluxe telecaster. I drilled the new body and neck holes first then took a rasp to...
                          Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                          X