banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter vs Alpha Omega set...Who Has Tried Both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black Winter vs Alpha Omega set...Who Has Tried Both?

I have tried both, and I seem to be in the minority as I actually like the Alpha/Omega set more and don't think it's a one-trick pony at all. I've had them ever since the original 200 Custom Shop sets came out, so I've spent quite a lot of time with them. They're the only pickups I use with my band (metalcore, though one could argue it creeps slightly into progressive territory) and I've never felt that they were too bright. By contrast, although I really enjoy the Black Winter set, I feel like the upper midrange is a little too forward and raw-sounding for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by bloughlin16 View Post
      I have tried both, and I seem to be in the minority as I actually like the Alpha/Omega set more and don't think it's a one-trick pony at all. I've had them ever since the original 200 Custom Shop sets came out, so I've spent quite a lot of time with them. They're the only pickups I use with my band (metalcore, though one could argue it creeps slightly into progressive territory) and I've never felt that they were too bright. By contrast, although I really enjoy the Black Winter set, I feel like the upper midrange is a little too forward and raw-sounding for my liking.
      Well, I don't know if being a one trick pony is a bad thing, especially when the trick is great. I use barely any gain, so they were really sharp sounding to me.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Well, I don't know if being a one trick pony is a bad thing, especially when the trick is great. I use barely any gain, so they were really sharp sounding to me.
        They still sound great on clean and mid-gain tones for me, but I definitely like a more modern, articulate sound even with those tones. I do tend to back of the treble on those tones, though. Perhaps having a modeler (Helix Rack) makes them a little easier to work with for me.

Comment

The alpha and omega are great pickups for what they do. I think they are meant to be very distinct sounding, what with Holcomb having to deal with two other guitarists. The problem is likely having two pickups that are mostly cut and presence. Most guitarists capitalize on the neck and bridge position tones as full and edgy respectively. The alpha is cool but it’s not what I tend to need from a neck humbucker. I’m reminded of the Humbucker From Hell and the Tone Zone combination ala Petrucci and Paul Gilbert. Not necessarily the sonics but the frustration I had in trying them together and gliding between glass in my face or a pan in my face lol. I could manage nicely with the sentient and the omega together I think. Something with more contrast.

Comment

As fate would have it, I scored a deal on an Omega trembucker bridge pickup, so I guess I'll be giving it a try myself!

Very curious how this will pan out. I'll post with my thoughts once it comes in and I can give it a spin next to the Black Winter I already have!

Thinking about trying to snag an Alpha neck while I'm at it...

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
              Wes Hauch is great. He has a new dual-rail 7-string pickup (the Jupiter) that I've been really curious about.
              Likewise! I have thought about putting one of those in my Ibanez RG 7421 from the late 90s.
              Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
              Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

I have tried both, to a certain degree. I had a BW set in an Ibanez Prestige RG 1620x and they sounded very good, but could not detect a real distinct character from them. I now recently swapped a pair of Alpha/omega into an ESP LTD Elite Eclipse from 2013. I need some more time with this set but my preliminary tonal observation is somewhat under-whelming...very VERY articulate with the sake of any saturation and presence.
                Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

This is very interesting. Curious what you think once you've had more time with them.

I really like bright, airy neck pickups more than thick, warm neck pickups. Many have likened the Alpha to a bridge pickup in the way it sounds and responds.

Shortly after I paid for the Omega, I snagged an Alpha secondhand, so I'll be able to try them as a proper set. Unfortunately, it will be a couple weeks before I can sit down and do any swapping.

Happy to hear other thoughts about these two sets!

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                    As fate would have it, I scored a deal on an Omega trembucker bridge pickup, so I guess I'll be giving it a try myself!

Very curious how this will pan out. I'll post with my thoughts once it comes in and I can give it a spin next to the Black Winter I already have!

Thinking about trying to snag an Alpha neck while I'm at it...
                    Hope you enjoy it! The Alpha is definitely worth a shot: completely different from any other neck pickup in Duncan's lineup, but the articulation is amazing. Also, the clean tones, especially in a split middle position with the Omega, are incredible.

Comment

I look forward to hearing your thoughts about the A/O set!
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've tried the Alpha/Omega set and have a couple of guitars with the Black Winter sets in them. I thought the A/O set sounded great and was very articulate. I'm a big Periphery fan and love Mark's playing and tone which is why I wanted to try them out. I'd say the Black Winters are probably more versatile, though. I use them for different styles other than extreme metal. The A/O set could very well work great in other things as well, I just haven't had a lot of experience with them.

Comment

The seller of the Alpha sent me an Omega bridge in an Alpha-labeled box, so I had to send it back

Now to wait on a deal for another Alpha (there's no way I'm paying $130 for one)

In the meantime, I scored another cool find: Dave Mustaine Thrash Factor! Gotta figure out what I'm going to try that one out in...I'm running out of guitars!

Comment

Working...
                          X