Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lincoln Brewster Stratocaster

Default Re: Lincoln Brewster Stratocaster

I find the idea of people being elitist about expensive guitar equipment while playing music praising a man who preached the explicit opposite of both their attitude and spending habits....extraordinarily ironic.

That being said I have noticed a disproportionate amount of people mentioning playing at church on guitar forums like these, so clearly it is a real phenomenon.

EDIT: Clarified because I feel called out by Mincer
    Last edited by oilpit; 11-28-2019 at 11:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthejester13 View Post
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Tone Member

The only problem is what has been displayed in this thread. I used to play on worship team, but left after getting fed up with this elitist nonsense and nitpicking about the appearance or style of another person. How utterly stupid and childish. You would figure Christians would be beyond that, and it embarrasses me to be counted among such things. Walking away from that garbage was the best thing I ever did.

tonewood instigator

This thread has become one of those "bash Nirvana" threads that Clint keeps inadvertently creating, except instead of clulessly bashing the stereotypes of grunge, its CCM.
    whisper words of wisdom,
    let it be

You can bash the music all you want, but keep the religion or attacks on other forum members for playing it out of the thread.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by oilpit View Post
    I find the idea of people being elitist about expensive guitar equipment while playing music praising a man who preached the explicit opposite of both their attitude and spending habits....extraordinarily ironic.

That being said I have noticed a disproportionate amount of people mentioning playing at church on guitar forums like these, so clearly it is a real phenomenon.

EDIT: Clarified because I feel called out by Mincer
    Agree with you on the paradox and many of us on the worship side see it also and are disturbed by it. I'm my circles it's not that way and frankly is why you see so many guys like me who are primarily worship players on sites like this one instead of just hanging in the worship clicks. We are players first just like most of you guys here but have our own specific challenges in our playing environments. We are in a different world from a normal club player. Our world is more like being in the band at a Broadway musical production or the backing band on something like American Idol. Many of us have to run silent stages and in many places you walk in with an amp for a set you better prepare for a war with the sound man. Many of the guys I play with have spent years on the road, a few with some of the biggest name bands on the planet. We have gotten older settled down have families. Many like myself almost offed ourselves with excesses then came back to faith and our roots so we now play in Churches because our faith saved our lives. We ask simply for respect as just other players who work in a different environment than some of you do.
    Last edited by Ascension; 11-29-2019 at 12:34 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Quote Originally Posted by shred4Him View Post
    The only problem is what has been displayed in this thread. I used to play on worship team, but left after getting fed up with this elitist nonsense and nitpicking about the appearance or style of another person. How utterly stupid and childish. You would figure Christians would be beyond that, and it embarrasses me to be counted among such things. Walking away from that garbage was the best thing I ever did.
    Feel you and trust me the entire community is not like that far far from it but I have absolutely seen what you speak of. Sorry you have been through that as so have I and it's not cool. PS I'm the guy who at times plays stuff like a Pearl Pink 1990 Carvin X 220 through a Boogie in a Church on Sunday Morning so--.
    Last edited by Ascension; 11-29-2019 at 12:47 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

I feel totally un-guilty about nit-picking this guys fashion style regardless of what religion he is; it sends all sorts of 'signals' when a grown man dresses a way only a pre-schooler thinks looks edgy and cool (the underlying assumption must be he knows he is dressing for that crowd.) Image does matter if your 'image' is always looking like you're about to expose yourself in public. Even at its most innocent, it smacks of utter dishonesty when grandpa dresses like the star of an elementary school musical about an emo kid from 2005 . Basically, you can't expect to go outside looking like that without everyone choosing to stand rather than sit next to you at the bus stop.

...I do like the guitar, but I'd rather have a Dick Dale Strat if it came down to it in that idiom; already have a gold Strat anyway.
    Last edited by Silence Kid; 11-29-2019 at 08:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Kid View Post
    I feel totally un-guilty about nit-picking this guys fashion style regardless of what religion he is; it sends all sorts of 'signals' when a grown man dresses a way only a pre-schooler thinks looks edgy and cool (the underlying assumption must be he knows he is dressing for that crowd.) Image does matter if your 'image' is always looking like you're about to expose yourself in public. Even at its most innocent, it smacks of utter dishonesty when grandpa dresses like the star of an elementary school musical about an emo kid from 2005 . Basically, you can't expect to go outside looking like that without everyone choosing to stand rather than sit next to you at the bus stop.

...I do like the guitar, but I'd rather have a Dick Dale Strat if it came down to it in that idiom; already have a gold Strat anyway.
    Everything here is just science. I've run the numbers, and it all checks out.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Kid View Post

Being one who works in the Worship community that image being portrayed of our community does not set well with me at all. It's not what we represent and a big national artist doing that taints all of us.
    Contrast that with this Brazilian girl who is also a worship leader and is engaged to a very close friend of mine. I have played with Raquel when she was in the States a few times and this is the type of image she promotes with what she does as a contrast.
    Guitars

Not too much different than a theoretical Clapton with a compound radius. Noiseless singles, mid boost, V neck, maple board.

I'm into old school radius and frets, but that is a nice complement of pickups.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    Not too much different than a theoretical Clapton with a compound radius. Noiseless singles, mid boost, V neck, maple board.

I'm into old school radius and frets, but that is a nice complement of pickups.
    Pretty much spot on. The build quality to me is my beef with the guitar as it just felt no better to me than a say a good MIM Strat. Expect more at a 2K Price point and get it in spades with say the lower level Suhr or Anderson guitars for just a little more $.
    Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Feel you and trust me the entire community is not like that far far from it but I have absolutely seen what you speak of. Sorry you have been through that as so have I and it's not cool. PS I'm the guy who at times plays stuff like a Pearl Pink 1990 Carvin X 220 through a Boogie in a Church on Sunday Morning so--.
    I think this very true. A lot of what people see from the high profile “worship community” is not purely representative of what takes place in the average Sunday morning service in the US. I’ve been playing with our local worship group for the last ten, almost exclusively, and, at age 50, I have amassed a nice collection of instruments over the years thanks to the blessings of a good job and a wife that likes to indulge my gear addiction. And I’m not ashamed to use any of them on a Sunday morning, even my Ace Frehley LP makes appearance when I feel the tone fits the liturgy (set list).

Our team is blessed to have several classical well trained musicians and a couple up and coming country songwriters who all play better than I do. I’m just the old guy in the group that likes to rock and loves the people I work with as well as the people who attend every week.

Oh, and I’ll be the old guy out there running any of a number of super-Strats, through my Decatone, just hoping to keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Being one who works in the Worship community that image being portrayed of our community does not set well with me at all. It's not what we represent and a big national artist doing that taints all of us.
    Contrast that with this Brazilian girl who is also a worship leader and is engaged to a very close friend of mine. I have played with Raquel when she was in the States a few times and this is the type of image she promotes with what she does as a contrast.
    I'm not gonna take the lords name in vain in this thread.

But gosh-damn! She is incredible!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthejester13 View Post
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

ObsoleteChickenPickingologist Butch Snyder's Avatar

Oh my god he doesn't even use an amp!
    In this video, he's using a silver face Twin.
    -Butch

I'm not gonna take the lords name in vain in this thread.

But gosh-damn! She is incredible!
    Agreed played a conference with just her and a drummer a while back and she really blew me away with her vocals and as a key player. She is engaged to a very close friend of mine here in Birmingham and they are getting married in April. Here is a live clip recorded with my little Zoom Q3 HD check out here pipes here! Playing my 93 Carvin DC 127 with the Alt 8 / Hybrid set through my little Boogie Subway Rocket 1/10 combo BTW.
    Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by DKSEARS View Post
    I think this very true. A lot of what people see from the high profile “worship community” is not purely representative of what takes place in the average Sunday morning service in the US. I’ve been playing with our local worship group for the last ten, almost exclusively, and, at age 50, I have amassed a nice collection of instruments over the years thanks to the blessings of a good job and a wife that likes to indulge my gear addiction. And I’m not ashamed to use any of them on a Sunday morning, even my Ace Frehley LP makes appearance when I feel the tone fits the liturgy (set list).

Our team is blessed to have several classical well trained musicians and a couple up and coming country songwriters who all play better than I do. I’m just the old guy in the group that likes to rock and loves the people I work with as well as the people who attend every week.

Oh, and I’ll be the old guy out there running any of a number of super-Strats, through my Decatone, just hoping to keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spot on. It's frankly embarrassing the way many today in the so called "high profile worship community" come off as such arrogant jerks. I play regularly here in Birmingham with folk who have toured for many years some with bands you would know instantly and you see NONE of ANY of that in my circles. Have played for example for many years on and off in Church with a guy named Ron Barbee who was the Bass player in the Florida based band White Witch for a while. We are now older wiser straighter and have families but still love music so many of us now play at Church. Some of the absolute scariest monster chops players I have ever been around in fact have been Worship players.
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-07-2019 at 09:09 PM.
    Guitars

ObsoleteChickenPickingologist Butch Snyder's Avatar

We kind of strayed off of the subject of the original post didn't we? Even with a moderator posting.....
    -Butch

When you’re a guitar player, going astray is what you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    When you’re a guitar player, going astray is what you do.
    Yep a touch of ADD kinda goes with the territory don't it LOL!
    Guitars

Yes, that gold strat is, look, there goes a squirrel!

Last edited by devastone; 12-16-2019 at 02:48 PM.