banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me or is Ibanez straying from Dimarzio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me or is Ibanez straying from Dimarzio?

I was looking through Ibanez's line of guitars earlier today and it seems to me that they is a lot more variety in the kind of pickups they are using. A few years ago I seem to remember every guitar they made had either Dimarzio or proprietary pickups. The newest product line the AZ series, all use OEM Duncan "Hyperion" pickups, the whole lineup looks amazing as well. A few other custom J series had Fishman Fluence pickups, as well as, of course, a whole lot of Dimarzio's.

Is this just my imagination playing tricks on me? Or is this a new thing?
    Originally posted by jcthejester13
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Re: Is it just me or is Ibanez straying from Dimarzio?

I would imagine their artists have a lot to do with that. People want to emulate their guitar heros. I know I wouldn't want to pay $1500 for a new guitar and replace the pickups too. Oh wait... I have.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

prestige s' cost 1800+ or so and ship with v7/v8s.... which i think mandatorily require a pup swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
        prestige s' cost 1800+ or so and ship with v7/v8s.... which i think mandatorily require a pup swap.
        +1

The V7/V8s are quite possibly the worst sounding pickups ever. Ibanez makes some really great guitars at all price levels… It’s a shame that they nearly ruin so many of them with those awful pickups!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by The Commodores?
        "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
          They don't anymore, not for years now since the prices went up like that. They come with fishmans or dimarzios. and the V7/8 are just on the retro genesis 570 models or whatever those are called now afaik. Also I , kinda like the V7/V8 and kept mine for like 2 years before I put a JB/jazz set in there. Which was certainly an improvement

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Ibanez could easily turn their own pickups, and back in the 70's and 80's they produced a few that sounded quite good and are collectable. Anyone remember the Super 70 and Super 80 pickups with the "Flying Fingers" covers and the early V-2's (looked like cream Super D's). Their Tri-Sound pickups gave the player 3 different sounds at the flick of a switch (started in the 80's and continues to this day).

In answer to the OP's question, I suspect it revolves around money - as in the market is changing. DiMarzio and Ibanez have each profited off the 40 year old relationship, but the public is growing restless searching for that "new" sound from all the latest pickup makers. Stands to reason Ibanez would exploit that desire. They have been quick to change to suit the market (unlike older companies who needn't be named). I see it as a good thing.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

10 years ago, they had Prestiges with Seymour Duncan/Ibz pickups and several mid-level models with EMG's. Doesn't seem all that different to me, but I agree with Goober...they're moving with the market. The use of Fishmans is a great example of that.

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
                +1

The V7/V8s are quite possibly the worst sounding pickups ever. Ibanez makes some really great guitars at all price levels… It’s a shame that they nearly ruin so many of them with those awful pickups!

For whatever reason, the neck is ceramic and the bridge A5. Swapping the magnets between the pickups does wonders.
                -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

At least when the prestiges came with the V7/V8 , the price was lower and then you had your choice of what you wanted to put in there

Now I have to pay $300 more for one that comes with fishmans that I don't want (not saying they're bad pickups, but definitely not for me) and pay more to swap the pickups anyways.

I could probably get along with the tone zone /air Norton combo that comes in some of them, but definitely not the fishmans.

Comment

I don't know how OEMs decide on what pickups, but I would have to guess they want the most neutral they can find. A pickup is an extension of how the guitar naturally sounds, so I try to match pickups to the guitar.
                    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                      At least when the prestiges came with the V7/V8 , the price was lower and then you had your choice of what you wanted to put in there

Now I have to pay $300 more for one that comes with fishmans that I don't want (not saying they're bad pickups, but definitely not for me) and pay more to swap the pickups anyways.

I could probably get along with the tone zone /air Norton combo that comes in some of them, but definitely not the fishmans.

+1. Valid point.

Comment

The ibz v1/v2 that came in my mij ibanez are just fine. I had all intentions of replacing them for Christmas. Not happening, though, i like them just as much as some of my after market pups.

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                          They don't anymore, not for years now since the prices went up like that. They come with fishmans or dimarzios. and the V7/8 are just on the retro genesis 570 models or whatever those are called now afaik. Also I , kinda like the V7/V8 and kept mine for like 2 years before I put a JB/jazz set in there. Which was certainly an improvement

You're right. Last year i noticed some were transitioning back to an/tz stock. I just checked now, though, and pretty much all of them seem to be. As far as dimarzios go, i own an x2n, a super distortion, a super2, 2 tzs, and 3 air nortons. The air norton is my favorite humbucker to date.
                          Last edited by Open lane; 11-25-2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Ibanez’ own pickups, except for the budget guitars, are made by DiMarzio.

They often use what’s popular at the time. You see this on their basses.

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
                              I was looking through Ibanez's line of guitars earlier today and it seems to me that they is a lot more variety in the kind of pickups they are using. A few years ago I seem to remember every guitar they made had either Dimarzio or proprietary pickups. The newest product line the AZ series, all use OEM Duncan "Hyperion" pickups, the whole lineup looks amazing as well. A few other custom J series had Fishman Fluence pickups, as well as, of course, a whole lot of Dimarzio's.

Is this just my imagination playing tricks on me? Or is this a new thing?
                              I had an ibanez prestige for 2 seconds that had the fishman pickups (the frozen ocean one). Ridiculously beautiful guitar and I liked the neck and feel but I really didn't like those pickups. Not sure why but when I had the voicing switch on true active (the other one was supposed to be passive emulation) I had really bad feedback through my amp. Not an expert, was just my experience. I also kept hitting the pickups with my pick because they stuck out so much. Ended up returning it.

Comment

Working...
                              X