P-Rail mania!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-Rail mania!!!

I am installing the P-Rail set on a kit Jaguar. it has a volume/tone with a three way toggle switch(less paul style). the lower control plate with three three way switches, and the upper control panel with a switch and the two roll-y knobs/volume controls. Nothing is wired in since this is a kit guitar and I am just getting ready to do the pickup install. I want to have each pickup be able to operate this way independently of the other, and on a three way toggle(les paul style) to combine them. I would like to have the P-rail setup so I can have each pickup operate in series, and parallel. I want to be able to choose between rail or P-90 or both in each pickup. I also want to be able to phase switch the rail and the P-90 in each pickup. I have switches and push pull pots available to me to make this overly complicated silly thing work! thanks in advance for any help! I did read through the P-Rail bible and got some of the info i needed BUT I want to make sure I can get this right and clean inside! HAHAHAHAHAH

Re: P-Rail mania!!!

Triple Shot mounting rings for each pup and a switch (DPDT) on one of the pups to reverse phase.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Curran View Post
      I am installing the P-Rail set on a kit Jaguar. it has a volume/tone with a three way toggle switch(less paul style). the lower control plate with three three way switches, and the upper control panel with a switch and the two roll-y knobs/volume controls. Nothing is wired in since this is a kit guitar and I am just getting ready to do the pickup install. I want to have each pickup be able to operate this way independently of the other, and on a three way toggle(les paul style) to combine them. I would like to have the P-rail setup so I can have each pickup operate in series, and parallel. I want to be able to choose between rail or P-90 or both in each pickup. I also want to be able to phase switch the rail and the P-90 in each pickup. I have switches and push pull pots available to me to make this overly complicated silly thing work! thanks in advance for any help! I did read through the P-Rail bible and got some of the info i needed BUT I want to make sure I can get this right and clean inside! HAHAHAHAHAH
      You mention three 3-way switches in the lower plate, but are you sure those are not just 2-way switches? This diagram of typical Jaguar controls indicates that those switches are 2-way switches:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic_Jaguar_Controls.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	5817646

Also, your statement about out-of-phase feature reads like you literally want to choose for each of the four coils, which is out of phase with its mate. Is that what you meant to convey? To accomplish would require a lot more switching capability than what your current controls can handle given you also want parallel, series and choice of split coil on each pickup. It also seems like unnecessary overkill -instead just put one pickup out of phase with the other. Two coils out of phase with each other on the same humbucker, is a nasty shrill sound.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        Triple Shot mounting rings for each pup and a switch (DPDT) on one of the pups to reverse phase.
        I often recommend use of triple shots as a tempaorary Phase 1 approach, where you have access to all the parallel/series/coil split options per pickup, and so you can listen and find out which of those you actually like.... then you can remove the triple shots and wire up the guitar's controls to give you the few options that you actually liked.

Triple shots are relatively inexpensive, quick and eaay to install and remove, and you can reuse them on multiple guitars in this "temporary Phase 1' fashion.
        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 11-26-2019, 08:18 AM.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
          I often recommend use of triple shots as a tempaorary Phase 1 approach, where you have access to all the parallel/series/coil split options per pickup, and so you can listen and find out which of those you actually like.... then you can remove the triple shots and wire up the guitar's controls to give you the few options that you actually liked.

Triple shots are relatively inexpensive, quick and eaay to install and remove, and you can reuse them on multiple guitars in this "temporary Phase 1' fashion.
          This is something I do as well I find that in most complex switching situations, there are about 5 sounds I would use, and I eventually hardwire those in. I don't like more than 1 move to get to the sound I like.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

thank you very much for the feedback guys! I appreciate it! I will report back with tone adventures!!

Comment

Am I correct that phase switch is better done on a guitar with independent volume pots for each pickup, to dial in correct balance between pickups? I got the prails with triple shots and a phase switch on my superstrat (1 vol 1 tone control), and the out of phase so far looks like the least usable option.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacLaus View Post
                Am I correct that phase switch is better done on a guitar with independent volume pots for each pickup, to dial in correct balance between pickups? I got the prails with triple shots and a phase switch on my superstrat (1 vol 1 tone control), and the out of phase so far looks like the least usable option.
                Sure, two independent volume controls would be helpful for that purpose.

Comment

Working...
                X