Bridge pickup for LP metalcore style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge pickup for LP metalcore style

I'm looking at changing the bridge pickup in my Les Paul studio made of mahogany wood. Its in drop c or b and is my dedicated metalcore guitar, so won't ever go any higher than c.

So far I've tried the BKP Aftermath, and currently have a ceramic Nailbomb in there. Both are good but the Aftermath for some reason I didn't like after a few years (kinda regret swapping it out) and the Nailbomb too hairy and pokey on the high end. More of a raw punk/doom metal pickup than a tight metalcore one I think. Other ones I've been recommended are the Juggernaut or the Ragnarok. One of my favourite bands is A Day To Remember and Neil one of the guitarists uses BKP Aftermath and Juggernaut in his signature ESPs. Our playing style is very similar.

Most of my playing is rhythm, so powerchords, riffs and palm mutes. Don't really do leads or cleans much. The low end needs to be tight and not too much top end whilst being thick, chunky and clear.

I have the JB SH-4 in a Strat and I'm loving the tone but that's in standard tuning almost all the time (except for Eb when playing Green Day songs lol).
    Some say don't put it in the Les Paul if doing the lower tunings as it'll get muddy?

What other pickup choices do I have?

The SH6 distortion or the Blackouts perhaps? Dimebucker?

Re: Bridge pickup for LP metalcore style

The Aftermath or Ragnarok both sound like good fits. I'd also recommend the Juggernaut and Omega: even if they aren't as "thick"-sounding, they're absurdly tight and definitely still do metalcore well. They're also a little more versatile should you ever move beyond metalcore.

Comment

This is right up my alley. What amp do you have, or more like what style of amp? I use a a Mesa Boogie style amp or I use an Orange Crush 120 going out of a PPC212 with V30’s.

The pickups that I find I enjoy the most for that style (I play mostly rhythm as well) is the Pegasus that is in an LP style guitar tuned to Drop A or G#.

My next favorite is an Alternative 8 I got in my Fender Showmaster. That guitar is kept in Drop D.

Comment

Originally posted by Calsip View Post
        This is right up my alley. What amp do you have, or more like what style of amp? I use a a Mesa Boogie style amp or I use an Orange Crush 120 going out of a PPC212 with V30’s.

The pickups that I find I enjoy the most for that style (I play mostly rhythm as well) is the Pegasus that is in an LP style guitar tuned to Drop A or G#.

My next favorite is an Alternative 8 I got in my Fender Showmaster. That guitar is kept in Drop D.
        Live I use a Peavey 6505+ but as my old band broke up 3 months ago I'm not using it as much. I normally play at home now with a Marshall DSL5c combo.

I've heard of the Pegasus, another one of my favourite bands guitarists uses it, they play in drop A#

Comment

I think the Pegasus is really good. I play a lot of bigger stacked power chords and stuff in that area. It has a lot of single not articulation in it.

Comment

I just checked out some video clips and I really like them! Its got a "chock chock" type tight palm mute sound from it! Similar to what I get with JB's.

Comment

I wonder if the Invader would do a good job? Its not too high-end and the chugs sound pretty tight. Going down to as low as drop A# though I wonder how that low end holds up.

Pegasus might give me clearer low end and not flubby.

Comment

I find the EMG 85 nails the The End of Heartache/older As I Lay Dying sound in my LTD Eclipse, so that's my recommendation.

If you find the Nailbomb too trebly, I'd stay away from the Dimebucker. That's the trebliest high-output pickup I can think of. The Distortion is also pretty bright, but it's got more of a grind/rasp to it rather than the icepick of the Dimebucker. The Blackouts to me are way too uncontrollable. Too bassy and hot. Not really that tight, IMO.

Comment

Isn't the EMG 81 the preferred bridge position pickup? And as I'd only want to change my bridge it could get complicated with wiring as they're active pickups.

Alot of my favourite bands are in that Killswitch vein though, drop tuned, high gain chuggy metalcore bands, ADTR, Memphis May Fire, Chunk No Captain Chunk, etc etc.

I never really considered the Dimebucker I just saw it in the range being high output. As I'm tuning lower than D I want to control that low end and not get lost in the mix. But still have that chug factor, if you get what I mean.
                  Last edited by DeadandBuried; 11-27-2019, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post
                    Isn't the EMG 81 the preferred bridge position pickup?
                    Yes, the 81 is more popular, but the 85 in the bridge is great in the bridge too, especially for that mid/late 2000's metalcore sound. The End of Heartache was the EMG 85, but later they switched to the 81. To me, The End of Heartache is the Killswitch Engage sound, though. An Ocean Between Us was also the 85. Shadows Fall and All that Remains were also using the 85 in the bridge. Unearth were using the 707, which is somewhat related to the 85 moreso than to the 81.

Comment

Hmm, never used actives cos of the battery hassle, and EMG have been known to be flubby in lower tunings. I do dig the Killswitch tone though I saw their Fishman Fluence signature pickups which sound killer but so expensive!

Comment

My first thought was the Pegasus, too, as it has a clear high end and sounds absolutely massive with lower tunings.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          My first thought was the Pegasus, too, as it has a clear high end and sounds absolutely massive with lower tunings.
                          Yeah I really like what I hear from the demos I've seen as well, in LP type guitars drop tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post
                            EMG have been known to be flubby in lower tunings.
                            No way. I have honestly never tried a passive that remotely comes close to being as tight as an 81. The 81 is tight almost to a flaw. EMG's have this high-pass effect that dumps a lot of bottom-end before your amp's distortion, which translates into extreme fast tracking.

Not saying passives can't be dialed to be tight, but being objective, the 81 is the tightest-sounding pickup there is. Not to say tighter=better every time, though.

Comment

Hmm maybe just general perception then, I think I'm pretty set on it being a passive pickup to be honest.

The amp I'm playing through will obviously play a part in the overall sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X